Topics

Protective foil ?


Alberto I2PHD
 

I have just completed the assembly of the Morserino kit, and tested it on the bench.
It works as it should, thanks Willi.

But now I wanted to enclose it in the acrylic box that came with the kit.
The instructions say to remove first the protective foil from the top and bottom plates.
Well, I do not see any protective foil... the acrylic plates are white, not transparent, but this seem to be the native color of the plates, not due to a glued on foil...
I have not been able to detach anything from them... even trying with an X-Acto knife on a corner...

It's me, or maybe the instructions refer to a different type of acrylic plates ?
Here the photos of the front and back side of the top plate.
Thanks for any insights.

FRONT




BACK




--
73 Alberto I2PHD
<<< http://www.weaksignals.com >>>







Bob
 

The white color is due to a thin paper film that is colored white on one side of the plastic plates.  Remove it by lifting an edge with your fingernail.  The plastic pieces are clear.

Plexiglass parts are often protected from scratching this way.  

My recollection is that the top piece, engraved on one side, was not protected on that side, but the other side was.

Enjoy

73, Bob, WB4SON


J Calnan
 

It’s the protective film on the Clear Acrylic plates. Wouldn’t apply to your case.




On Thu, Sep 10, 2020 at 9:14 AM Alberto I2PHD <i2phd@...> wrote:












I have just completed the assembly of the

Morserino kit, and tested it on the bench.


It works as it should, thanks Willi.





But now I wanted to enclose it in the acrylic box that came with

the kit.


The instructions say to remove first the protective foil from the

top and bottom plates.


Well, I do not see any protective foil... the acrylic plates are

white, not transparent, but this seem to be the native color of

the plates, not due to a glued on foil...


I have not been able to detach anything from them... even trying

with an X-Acto knife on a corner...





It's me, or maybe the instructions refer to a different type of

acrylic plates ?


Here the photos of the front and back side of the top plate.


Thanks for any insights.





FRONT














BACK














--


73 Alberto I2PHD


<<< http://www.weaksignals.com >>>































Alberto I2PHD
 

> Remove it by lifting an edge with your fingernail.

Yes, that's what I have tried to do.... it looks like it is impossible to do, not only with the fingernail, but not even with a sharp X-Acto knife....
That's why I suspect it is not a protective foil, but something else... but only Willi can give a word of wisdom on this...

73  Alberto  I2PHD


Mike Stone <micacycle@...>
 

I have had problems removing  protective coverings on Plexiglas and Lexan if they have been exposed to heat.

On Sep 10, 2020, at 5:14 PM, Alberto I2PHD <i2phd@...> wrote:

> Remove it by lifting an edge with your fingernail.

Yes, that's what I have tried to do.... it looks like it is impossible to do, not only with the fingernail, but not even with a sharp X-Acto knife....
That's why I suspect it is not a protective foil, but something else... but only Willi can give a word of wisdom on this...

73  Alberto  I2PHD


Eike Lantzsch
 

Looking from the side, you will see that the arcylic is indeed transparent. The second photo shows the side with the foil.


Willi, OE1WKL
 

It IS protective foil! The acrylics are clear.

Willi

Von meinem Mobiltelefon gesendet

Am 10.09.2020 um 23:14 schrieb Alberto I2PHD <i2phd@...>:

> Remove it by lifting an edge with your fingernail.

Yes, that's what I have tried to do.... it looks like it is impossible to do, not only with the fingernail, but not even with a sharp X-Acto knife....
That's why I suspect it is not a protective foil, but something else... but only Willi can give a word of wisdom on this...

73  Alberto  I2PHD


Gwen Patton
 

Take a long strip of strong tape -- I would use 100 mile an hour tape, or gorilla tape -- about 4-5 inches long. Fold over a little on one end to make a handle, and stick the rest down onto the BACK of the acrylic, with the "handle" hanging over a corner. Burnish it down tightly on the back of the acrylic. Then hold the edge opposite the corner with the tape handle sticking over it in your free hand, and tightly grip the tape handle with the other, and give it a firm jerk back away from the corner. This should give enough leverage and force to lift the backing away from the acrylic at the corner.

This is how we used to do it when we cut plexiglas to order in the hardware store I worked at. Once you get the corner up, you should be able to peel the rest off.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
73,
Gwen, NG3P


On Thu, Sep 10, 2020 at 5:26 PM Willi, OE1WKL <willi@...> wrote:
It IS protective foil! The acrylics are clear.

Willi

Von meinem Mobiltelefon gesendet

Am 10.09.2020 um 23:14 schrieb Alberto I2PHD <i2phd@...>:

> Remove it by lifting an edge with your fingernail.

Yes, that's what I have tried to do.... it looks like it is impossible to do, not only with the fingernail, but not even with a sharp X-Acto knife....
That's why I suspect it is not a protective foil, but something else... but only Willi can give a word of wisdom on this...

73  Alberto  I2PHD


Steyrshrek
 

There is no film on the laser engraved side of the top panel. They need to remove it to do the laser engraving.

Richard Hutchinson


Alberto I2PHD
 


Take a long strip of strong tape -- I would use 100 mile an hour tape, or gorilla tape -- about 4-5 inches long. Fold over a little on one end to make a handle, and stick the rest down onto the BACK of the acrylic, with the "handle" hanging over a corner. Burnish it down tightly on the back of the acrylic. Then hold the edge opposite the corner with the tape handle sticking over it in your free hand, and tightly grip the tape handle with the other, and give it a firm jerk back away from the corner. This should give enough leverage and force to lift the backing away from the acrylic at the corner.
================
Success !
Thanks indeed Gwen ! You method worked at the first attempt, very ingenious.
Another item for the bag of tricks...

73  Alberto  I2PHD


Gwen Patton
 

I'm glad it worked for you, Alberto! Enjoy your Morserino! Maybe we'll work one another on the air someday.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
73,
Gwen, NG3P


On Fri, Sep 11, 2020 at 11:13 AM Alberto I2PHD <i2phd@...> wrote:

Take a long strip of strong tape -- I would use 100 mile an hour tape, or gorilla tape -- about 4-5 inches long. Fold over a little on one end to make a handle, and stick the rest down onto the BACK of the acrylic, with the "handle" hanging over a corner. Burnish it down tightly on the back of the acrylic. Then hold the edge opposite the corner with the tape handle sticking over it in your free hand, and tightly grip the tape handle with the other, and give it a firm jerk back away from the corner. This should give enough leverage and force to lift the backing away from the acrylic at the corner.
================
Success !
Thanks indeed Gwen ! You method worked at the first attempt, very ingenious.
Another item for the bag of tricks...

73  Alberto  I2PHD


Paul Needham
 

Gwen's tip worked a treat for me too. Thanks Gwen.


Gwen Patton
 

Always glad to help!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
73,
Gwen, NG3P


On Tue, Sep 15, 2020 at 4:21 PM <paulneedhamishere@...> wrote:
Gwen's tip worked a treat for me too. Thanks Gwen.