Topics

Morserino 32 battery

Wayne Watters

I have a Li-Po 12000mAh  5v  1/2A solar charged power bank I would like to use as a power source for the Morserino 32.  Is it safe to do so without damage to the kit?

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Willi, OE1WKL

Wayne,

All sorts of 5V power banks can be used by using the USB power supply. The only thing that could come up is that some power banks cut off the supply when the load is less than 100 mA or so. For these cases you can find cheap little gadgets (on EBay etc) that always consume a minimum of current to prevent the shut-down. These are small USB dongles inserted between power bank and load, in your case the Morserino.

Steve

Anybody got a link for the dongles to prevent the shutdowns?

On Wed, 7 Oct 2020 at 08:24, Willi, OE1WKL <willi@...> wrote:
Wayne,

All sorts of 5V power banks  can be used by using the USB power supply. The only thing that could come up is that some power banks cut off the supply when the load is less than 100 mA or so. For these cases you can find cheap little gadgets (on EBay etc) that always consume a minimum of current to prevent the shut-down. These are small USB dongles inserted between power bank and load, in your case the Morserino.

Steve

Thanks Willi

Wayne Watters

Willi,

Thank you for the info concerning the power bank.  My brother and I plan to use the 32 to learn CW using WiFi.  He lives in Florida and I live in Kentucky.  I am studying for my License and he has received his General.  These kits are amazing, simple and yet loaded with features.  In case no one has said so yet....good work!  Look forward to more.

On Wednesday, October 7, 2020, 03:24:04 AM EDT, Willi, OE1WKL <willi@...> wrote:

Wayne,

All sorts of 5V power banks  can be used by using the USB power supply. The only thing that could come up is that some power banks cut off the supply when the load is less than 100 mA or so. For these cases you can find cheap little gadgets (on EBay etc) that always consume a minimum of current to prevent the shut-down. These are small USB dongles inserted between power bank and load, in your case the Morserino.

Marty Boroff

This raises a question for me. I use a MacBook Pro and plug my Morserino into the USB port of the laptop for power. Occasionally I have been called away from training and return to a powered down Morserino.

Is the Mac shutting down the USB port because the drain has gone low? Or is there something in the code that shuts it down after no activity?

73, Marty WD9GYM

On Wednesday, October 7, 2020, 5:08 PM, Wayne Watters <wayneh2o.ww@...> wrote:

[...]

The Morserino has a time-out function that puts it into sleep mode, to consume a bit less battery.
See pages 9 and 38 („Time Out“) of the user manual.