Battery?

w2eck

Hello - new  to group and just received my Morserino Kit, and apologize for bringing up a subject that has been discussed before. Looking at the recommended batteries, I am really not crazy about buying six batteries to get one and then have to buy a charger. So what is the collective knowledge on this subject as to --- the Least expensive approach to deal with the battery question for the Morserino??

73 Paul w2eck

Ant Lefebvre

On Tue, Jun 8, 2021, 4:27 PM Ant Lefebvre <anthony.lefebvre@...> wrote:
I bought this. You get 2 batteries for $12. You don't need a charger as the morserino-32 does the charging when it's plugged in and the switch is on.

On Tue, Jun 8, 2021, 4:06 PM w2eck <eckerpw@...> wrote:
[...]

Lee W4EIS

Thanks!  Just placed order

Al mal tiempo, buena cara

On Jun 8, 2021, at 3:34 PM, Ant Lefebvre <anthony.lefebvre@...> wrote:

I bought this. You get 2 batteries for $12. You don't need a charger as the morserino-32 does the charging when it's plugged in and the switch is on.

On Tue, Jun 8, 2021, 4:06 PM w2eck <eckerpw@...> wrote:
Hello - new  to group and just received my Morserino Kit, and apologize for bringing up a subject that has been discussed before. Looking at the recommended batteries, I am really not crazy about buying six batteries to get one and then have to buy a charger. So what is the collective knowledge on this subject as to --- the Least expensive approach to deal with the battery question for the Morserino??

73 Paul w2eck

w2eck

Sorry for dumb question
Could yo expand on,   morserino-32 does the charging when it's plugged in and the switch is on.  ???

Where is the power coming from to the charge the battery ??

73 Paul w2eck

Charles Paradelas

Plugged into USB supply via connector on unit

Could yo expand on,   morserino-32 does the charging when it's plugged in and the switch is on.  ???

Where is the power coming from to the charge the battery ??

73 Paul w2eck

Gwen Patton

From the USB port that is *plugged in* on the microcontroller. You plug in a USB 5v power line, from a wall wart, power bank, or even the usb port on your PC.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
73,
Gwen, NG3P

On Tue, Jun 8, 2021 at 8:34 PM w2eck <eckerpw@...> wrote:
Sorry for dumb question
Could yo expand on,   morserino-32 does the charging when it's plugged in and the switch is on.  ???

Where is the power coming from to the charge the battery ??

73 Paul w2eck

Gregg N6ZUE

Hi Paul,   I recently had the same question... After reviewing the user manual I found the following on page 11.

If you want to use the device with a USB power, just plug a USB cable in from virtually any USB charger (it consumes a max of 200 mA, so any 5V charger will do).

Then on page 12 it says:

To charge the battery, connect it with a USB cable to a reliable USB 5V power source, like your computer, or a USB charger like your phone charger.  Make sure the hardware switch of the device is ON while charging.

The USB cable connects to the device near the display.

Hope the helps.

Benton Jackson

USB supplies 5v.

On Tue, Jun 8, 2021 at 7:34 PM w2eck <eckerpw@...> wrote:
Sorry for dumb question
Could yo expand on,   morserino-32 does the charging when it's plugged in and the switch is on.  ???

Where is the power coming from to the charge the battery ??

73 Paul w2eck

Ant Lefebvre

I think I am to blame for this confusion when I said you don't need a charger. You don't need a charger straight into the battery connection. You do need to supply power to the main device, which can then charge the battery.

I have dozens of these micro USB cables at home from old phones, kindles, powerbanks, etc. I mistakenly assumed everyone else had a graveyard of these as well. You just plug it into an open USB port either on a power strip or a computer.

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B014RXOX08/

or you can get one that has a wall wart

You don't need to purchase from the specific links I posted. Just examples for you.

73
-Ant NU1U

On Tue, Jun 8, 2021 at 8:34 PM w2eck <eckerpw@...> wrote:
Sorry for dumb question
Could yo expand on,   morserino-32 does the charging when it's plugged in and the switch is on.  ???

Where is the power coming from to the charge the battery ??

73 Paul w2eck

w2eck

Thanks to all who replied on this thread - very very helpful.  I now understand the charging arrangement and just ordered:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B089R8SGJR?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share.

Thanks again and off to build the kit.

73 Paul w2eck