New Morserino Build

Len - K7LRM

I received my Morserino kit yesterday and built it today.

Regarding batteries, here in the US the JST-PH connectors seem to be much more common than the little Molex. I ordered these batteries:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CHMM252/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Then when I built my kit today I used a JST-PH connector instead of the Molex. These have the correct polarity.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07NWD5NTN/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Benton Jackson

It seems like JST connectors go one way for hobby electronics, but the other way for drones and model airplanes. If you buy your connectors and batteries from the same source they should work- but check! Since I have a lot of drone batteries, I used a connector from my drone parts for my Morserino and used a 500mAh drone battery that fits under the Heltec module.

On Sat, Dec 4, 2021 at 3:50 PM Gwen Patton <ardrhi@...> wrote:
Ok, I cheated when I dealt with this.

I put BOTH a Molex AND a JST connector on the Morserino. That way, regardless of my source of batteries, I could connect them properly. JST seem to be more popular in the US, and Molex in Europe, with those small but mighty LiPo batteries being intended for small drones. So I just removed the issue completely and equipped my Morserino with both.

You DO have to watch out that the batteries you get have the polarity correct. Especially with JST, there's no rhyme or reason as to which way the connector goes. I just made the wiring on the Morserino match what the system expected, and if the battery was reversed, I swapped the pins in the connector so they matched. I've never had to take the first battery I put in my Morserino out yet, so I guess the problem is moot.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
73,
Gwen, NG3P

On Sat, Dec 4, 2021 at 9:49 AM Brian <pletcher@...> wrote:
Same here! I'd suggest wiggling it a bit, it'll loosen up once you use it more. The projections you mention are to keep it from jostling loose accidently

Gwen Patton

[...]

Brian

Same here! I'd suggest wiggling it a bit, it'll loosen up once you use it more. The projections you mention are to keep it from jostling loose accidently

Art Mandelin

I have not had this issue.
My connector comes apart without difficulty.

If it helps, I am using:

I have no connection to this company and receive no benefits from making this recommendation.

73 DE N9THH

Mark Tosiello

Hi all,

Just built my first of 2 Morserino-32 kits. Pretty easy build, went well. All functions working properly. However, I have a rather dumb question. I connected one of my LiPo batteries to it for testing and it is working fine. My question is about the molex connectors. The molex  fit together perfectly (using the Makerfire 12 3.7v 750mAh 30C, from a pack of 6. However, I can't, for the life of me, figure out how to UNCOUPLE the molex connector from the battery. :)

The two side arms seem to be notched, and the small projections in the molex male connector sit in those notches. Obviously, can't pull them straight apart. Does one have to distract the sides with something to get them apart?

Thanks for the help!

Mark KD8EDC, new Morserino owner.