antenna connector

Syd

I've had my unit for about a year now.  When I first got it I tried to hook up the antenna cable to the display board. It was, to say the least, a very nasty task!  It took about an hour to get the cable plugged in to the display board! Then I got my battery in via UPS and took the cable off to make it easier to install the new battery.  Big mistake! After fooling around for over an hour I gave up and put the antenna into the storage closet. A year later I lost a paddle and went to order a new set of paddles, but decided to look for the antenna, which I no longer could find, so I ordered a new one along with cables thinking now I could find a use for it.  After trying to install the new antenna I got a DejaVu and realized how hard it was to install this connector!  Looking at the connector on the display board with a magnifying glass, I saw an oval, not circular, opening.  Not Good! So I tried to monkey around with a small tool and make it circular again.  Another big mistake. It's even worse than before!  I've heard a lot of people online complain about this connector and how hard it is to make a good connection, so I'm not the only one!  So now I have to either find a SMD plug to solder to the display board and that does not, in any way, sound feasible to do with this unit, or I can go back to Morserino and buy a replacement display board (probably around $30) to try to fix the problem.  But the new board would probably be just as bad as the old one!  Other than the fact that I can lose a paddle very easily, the unit works very nicely for learning CW, so no complaints there!  I thought I was buying a Cadillac, but I got a Ford instead all because of that lousy connector.
syd/wt1v

Juergen Wagner

Hello syd and friends reading along,
my morse group and i we've got our ones - i think - its now 2 ys ago or a bit more. No one of us had one of the problems that
i found in the mails as reportet by u. I have to think about my youngest daughter a little:
Much does not work with her what she touches. But one thing works fine: as she was 7 ys old, i showed her how she can code
her name - first by straight key, then with Schurr-paddle, and after minutes she could give her name EILEEN - And she told that
her teacher. Later her whole school class wanted to learn Morse code...
So i think our hobby has something for every one, but some things are not for people with two left haends - hi hi
(by the way: i'am right handed, BUT - my paddles i use with the left hand, straight key still with the right...)

For me and my group, the morserinos are the best morse code machine we've come across in our ham life !

73
Juergen
AJ6SY

Am 10.07.2021 um 16:05 schrieb Syd via groups.io:

[...]

David KK7SS

I've only had mine about 1 month and love it...

I'm 84 years old, severe hand tremors from my heart medicines and poor eyesight, yet it only took me about a minute of careful manipulating to get that tiny, tiny connector to "snap" into place..
My problem is, due to the tremors (?), the touch paddles keep coming out of their connector.
Has anyone found a way to get the fit a tad tighter?

Dave KK7SS

Wolfgang Hampe

Hello Dave,

the best way is to use an external paddle, which you can calibrate for your personaly best handling. I have used the touch paddles only at the start and made a lot of mistakes because those are to sensitive. With my external paddles (mechanical) I can do it a lot better.

73 Wolf, DC9FO

--
Wolfgang Hampe
Blumenröder Straße 29
I've only had mine about 1 month and love it...

I'm 84 years old, severe hand tremors from my heart medicines and poor eyesight, yet it only took me about a minute of careful manipulating to get that tiny, tiny connector to "snap" into place..
My problem is, due to the tremors (?), the touch paddles keep coming out of their connector.
Has anyone found a way to get the fit a tad tighter?

Dave KK7SS

Willi, OE1WKL

You can use those to keep the paddles in place:

Am 10.07.2021 um 17:20 schrieb David KK7SS <d3j452@...>:

I've only had mine about 1 month and love it...

I'm 84 years old, severe hand tremors from my heart medicines and poor eyesight, yet it only took me about a minute of careful manipulating to get that tiny, tiny connector to "snap" into place..
My problem is, due to the tremors (?), the touch paddles keep coming out of their connector.
Has anyone found a way to get the fit a tad tighter?

Dave KK7SS

Tony W3FLH

I think Juergen made two excellent points: First, that his group (and many, many others) have successfully assembled this cool little kit and are very happy with the end result; Second, that it seems to be Syd, and not the M32, that has the issues.

Syd has been a naysayer on this group from his first post, and doesn’t seem to want to, let alone be able to, be satisfied with the Morserino.  Hopefully he finds a solution to the problems that are plaguing his unit, and can put it to good use.  I, for one, am extremely happy with mine, and try to use it daily (thanks, Willi!).

Tony W3FLH

Rachael Sanders

I fitted a piece of foam packaging between the paddles and the case. Very gentle pressure needed. They’ve not fallen out since .
Hope that helps
Rachael

Syd

The only things I've ever complained about with this unit was the paddles and the antenna connector; otherwise, I have stated that this is a FINE UNIT to learn CW with, and I use it everyday when I take it for a walk around my neighborhood.  Unfortunately, every time I take a walk holding the Morserino in my hand I have to constantly remember to see if the paddles are still in the unit! I have lost a paddle or two from the unit several times while holding it on my walkabout, so now I ordered a spare package of paddles so I won't have to worry about losing a paddle while walking around.  The foam idea posted above seems like a great idea!   I've also assembled a dozen QRPLabs kits which are a lot more complicated than this rather trivial kit, and, so far, have not had any problems assembling any of them.  My main problem with this unit has always been the antenna connector!  Maybe, since it is so delicate, it was a little out of shape and got damaged in the packaging. I don't know. But, having worked with electronics all my life, from the vacuum tube days all the way through SMD components of today, I'm pretty sure I know a good from a bad connector!  So when I purchase an item for around $100 I expect to be able to assemble such a simple project without monkeying around with a simple connector for hours and having to use a magnifying class to make the connection.
syd/wt1v

David Wilcox

I have built two Morserinos and the antenna connector snapped in place on both of them.  But it is a one time connection. Don’t think of unsnapping it and re snapping it back into place again without damage.  There are special tools for that but the connectors aren’t built for any abuse. Be careful. Use the flat blade of a small screw driver laid across the top of the connector. Then press firmly but gently. POP! It’s in.

Dave K8WPE

David J. Wilcox’s iPad

On Jul 10, 2021, at 11:03 PM, Syd via groups.io <nhuq1@...> wrote:

[...]

If you read Dave's post and my reply, you might change your mind about my being a naysayer.  It seems like I have been right all along!!!!
syd/wt1v

Rachael Sanders

The so called 'special tool' is tiny and cost not a lot. I bought it just in case. I have fitted and also removed mine. If I can do it anyone can.
Care is needed but what would you expect. I have heard of people breaking them but there is sufficient warning in the manual.

David KK7SS

Willi,

Thank you for the link but I don't have one of those printers,,

I used a bit of anti-static foam to hold them in place

Thank you..

Benton Jackson

I also use a bit of heavy foam to hold the keys in. Works great.