Topics

audio issues

David Z

Hello group, I have successfully built and used my Morserino, a great kit! I have encountered a couple of problems with my audio. Firstly, I listen at fairly low levels and noticed that the audio tone changes dramatically between level steps three and four. The lower three levels are too harsh for me either with earphones or the speaker. 
So I utilized the line out feature and enjoy the superior tone at just about a perfect earphone level. However, there is another quirk when using the echo trainer and audio line out: there are no confirmation tones through the attached earphone. When I raise the speaker volume above level zero, the ok and error tones are heard, so it is not simply having that parameter switched off. The confirmation tones are not passed to audio line out.
Hopefully a simple fix for either issue, perhaps in firmware.
David
KM6FWT

Tommy2

So glad to see this post. My morserino experiences this same problem and it plays havoc with my hearing aids. 
Was thinking this old structural engineer really messed this unit up. Working with delicate, minuscule components is very foreign to this guy who spent forty years designing and buildings very large concrete and steel structures. 
Electronics comes across as magic to me. 
Thanks David!

Air2

On Sep 29, 2020, at 1:17 AM, David Z via groups.io <davidziesk@...> wrote:

Hello group, I have successfully built and used my Morserino, a great kit! I have encountered a couple of problems with my audio. Firstly, I listen at fairly low levels and noticed that the audio tone changes dramatically between level steps three and four. The lower three levels are too harsh for me either with earphones or the speaker. 
So I utilized the line out feature and enjoy the superior tone at just about a perfect earphone level. However, there is another quirk when using the echo trainer and audio line out: there are no confirmation tones through the attached earphone. When I raise the speaker volume above level zero, the ok and error tones are heard, so it is not simply having that parameter switched off. The confirmation tones are not passed to audio line out.
Hopefully a simple fix for either issue, perhaps in firmware.
David
KM6FWT

Craig T. Bailey

Ditto.

I built my kit quite a while ago, and I too thought I had installed something incorrectly. I use the earphones that came with an iPhone, and my audio tone changes drastically at step 4 too.

I’ve lived with it, but I wonder if there’s anything in the code that could change the tone output To the headphone jack when setting the Audio at very low levels?

--
_____
Craig Bailey
N1SFT
Hudson NH, USA

Brian KM6IGY

My volume control worked once.
Now the speaker is dead (I tested the connections)
I use the Line Out with these:

Inline Volume Control
https://www.amazon.com/Inline-Control-3-5MM-Headphones-Black/dp/B008DJTB32/ref=asc_df_B008DJTB32/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=309743312319&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=15380418014137259820&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9031061&hvtargid=pla-569369110209&psc=1

CestMall F10 Portable Compact Mini Speaker, Four Times of the Normal Volume, 3.5MM Audio Input, for iPhone Android Tablet Nevigation PSP MP3 MP4 Black
(This is powered by an internal Li-ion battery)

https://www.amazon.com/CestMall-Portable-Compact-Speaker-Nevigation/dp/B01HEYIPGK/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=cestmall+f10+Portable+Mini+speaker&s=electronics&sr=1-3

You may find less expensive alternatives. This is just my work around.

KM6IGY

Ian VA7ITM

The inline volume control is exactly what I was going to suggest and can be used in the headphone output. Set the Morserino volume to max then use the inline volume control to adjust the level. A very simple and cheap solution. 

73 Ian

Willi, OE1WKL

The inline volume control is an excellent idea for headphones or external speakers!

Willi

Am 05.11.2020 um 21:31 schrieb Ian VA7ITM <ian.mcalpine@...>:

The inline volume control is exactly what I was going to suggest and can be used in the headphone output. Set the Morserino volume to max then use the inline volume control to adjust the level. A very simple and cheap solution. 

73 Ian

Craig T. Bailey

It’s a simple solution! Thanks guys.

Just for curiosity, do you all suppose that external volume control is just an op amp with a potentiometer as the R1?

--
_____
Craig Bailey
N1SFT
Hudson NH, USA

Willi, OE1WKL

I think it is completely passive, just a potentiometer... how would it get power supplied?

Willi

Von meinem Mobiltelefon gesendet

Am 06.11.2020 um 13:21 schrieb Craig T. Bailey <@ctbailey>:

It’s a simple solution! Thanks guys.

Just for curiosity, do you all suppose that external volume control is just an op amp with a potentiometer as the R1?

--
_____
Craig Bailey
N1SFT
Hudson NH, USA