Battery not showing actual voltage.

David KK7SS

The Morserino works well except for the power-on battery voltage indication.
I can set it to actual voltage using the 'Battery Calibration' routine ok.
But it stays with that value and does not alter as the battery gets used and the real voltage goes down.
I cannot find any apparent bad solder joints!
PCB and FW are at Rev 4.1,

Suggestions for trouble shooting the problem are very welcome :-)

Thank you

Dave KKYSS

Willi, OE1WKL

David,
How long did you observe battery status? If you have a hgh capacity battery, it could take quite a while until battery voltage goes down. lipos stay at adhigh level quite long.  Try to run down the battery and compare with direct battery measurements..

Am 01.07.2021 um 18:23 schrieb David KK7SS <d3j452@...>:

The Morserino works well except for the power-on battery voltage indication.
I can set it to actual voltage using the 'Battery Calibration' routine ok.
But it stays with that value and does not alter as the battery gets used and the real voltage goes down.
I cannot find any apparent bad solder joints!
PCB and FW are at Rev 4.1,

Suggestions for trouble shooting the problem are very welcome :-)

Thank you

Dave KKYSS

David KK7SS

Willi,

Will do that.
It started at 4.1 V and so I calibrated the battery for that reading,
After a week, the indicator showed 4.1V but my VTVM showed 3.7V, so I re-calibrated for that.
I'll use it and monitor the battery voltage with my VTVm and compare it to the indicated value.
I'll get back after another week of daily use.

Thank you..
Dave G. KK7SS

On Sat, Jul 3, 2021 at 10:45 AM Willi, OE1WKL <willi@...> wrote:
David,
How long did you observe battery status? If you have a hgh capacity battery, it could take quite a while until battery voltage goes down. lipos stay at adhigh level quite long.  Try to run down the battery and compare with direct battery measurements..

Am 01.07.2021 um 18:23 schrieb David KK7SS <d3j452@...>:

The Morserino works well except for the power-on battery voltage indication.
I can set it to actual voltage using the 'Battery Calibration' routine ok.
But it stays with that value and does not alter as the battery gets used and the real voltage goes down.
I cannot find any apparent bad solder joints!
PCB and FW are at Rev 4.1,

Suggestions for trouble shooting the problem are very welcome :-)

Thank you

Dave KKYSS

Konopka

--
Odesláno z telefonu NOKIA 2720!

main@morserino.groups.io napsal(a):

[...]

Long term test:
Battery voltage at start read 3.9V on Voltmeter.
Calibrated to show 3.9V.
Continued to read 3.9V until unit shut down.
Battery voltage read 2.6V on Voltmeter'
Unit would not power on.

Now on charge, Voltmeter across battery shows increasing voltage.

Voltage on Display does not change.

Suggestions Welcome..

Dave KK7SS

Rachael Sanders

Mine usually says 4.1V fully charged, and shuts down at 3.7V.
It’ll only be an approximation I expect.
Rachael  M1AYG

On 14 Jul 2021, at 19:00, David KK7SS <d3j452@...> wrote:

Willi,

Long term test:
Battery voltage at start read 3.9V on Voltmeter.
Calibrated to show 3.9V.
Continued to read 3.9V until unit shut down.
Battery voltage read 2.6V on Voltmeter'
Unit would not power on.

Now on charge, Voltmeter across battery shows increasing voltage.

Voltage on Display does not change.

Suggestions Welcome..

Dave KK7SS

David KK7SS

Rachael,

Ditto for reading 4,1V when fully charged.

But never goes down, it will display 4,1 until it shuts down.

But I can monitor with an external VTVM and see the actual battery voltage go down with use.

Very puzzling..  Re-checked all solder joints.

I am/was certified in soldering, so I have faith in not having cold solder joints - but I did recheck -- just in case !!

Dave KK7SS