Topics

cq.morserino.info Not working

vince adams

Be Advised
cq.morserino.info is coming up a blank page

-
73, Vince KD7TWW

Willi, OE1WKL

I know, this happens frequently - the simple Python script that is the web server is not running very stable and needs frequent restarts. This does not affect the chat server though (different script on port 7373, running very reliably).

If there happen to be any Python gurus around here, they could help me fix the web script problem… I am really not that good at Python….

Am 11.10.2020 um 16:17 schrieb vince adams <vince@...>:

Be Advised
cq.morserino.info is coming up a blank page

-
73, Vince KD7TWW

KM4GNZ

On Sun, Oct 11, 2020 at 07:17 AM, vince adams wrote:
cq.morserino.info

Just connected through M32 and received an echo :hi

Ken Sedgwick KN6JYZ

Will,

Are there any logs from the python script/server?

Ken - KN6JYZ

--
Ken Sedgwick
Bonsai Software, Inc.

Willi, OE1WKL

You mean the web server or the MOPP chat server? I have logs for both...

Am 11.10.2020 um 17:28 schrieb Ken Sedgwick KN6JYZ <ken@...>:

Will,

Are there any logs from the python script/server?

Ken - KN6JYZ

On Sun, Oct 11, 2020 at 7:25 AM Willi, OE1WKL <willi@...> wrote:
I know, this happens frequently - the simple Python script that is the web server is not running very stable and needs frequent restarts. This does not affect the chat server though (different script on port 7373, running very reliably).

If there happen to be any Python gurus around here, they could help me fix the web script problem… I am really not that good at Python….

Am 11.10.2020 um 16:17 schrieb vince adams <vince@...>:

Be Advised
cq.morserino.info is coming up a blank page

-
73, Vince KD7TWW

--
Ken Sedgwick
Bonsai Software, Inc.
http://www.bonsai.com/ken/
(510) 269-7334
ken@...
Public Key: http://www.bonsai.com/ken/ken.asc
GPG Fingerprint: 4695 E5B8 F781 BF85 4326  9639 BBFC E515 8602 5550

Ken Sedgwick KN6JYZ

> You mean the web server or the MOPP chat server? I have logs for both...

Willi,

Whichever is dying (requiring restarts).

Ken

On Sun, Oct 11, 2020 at 9:22 AM Willi, OE1WKL <willi@...> wrote:
[...]

That's the web server...
You can contact me by PM...

Am 11.10.2020 um 21:29 schrieb Ken Sedgwick KN6JYZ <ken@...>:

> You mean the web server or the MOPP chat server? I have logs for both...

Willi,

Whichever is dying (requiring restarts).

Ken

On Sun, Oct 11, 2020 at 9:22 AM Willi, OE1WKL <willi@...> wrote:
You mean the web server or the MOPP chat server? I have logs for both...

Am 11.10.2020 um 17:28 schrieb Ken Sedgwick KN6JYZ <ken@...>:

Will,

Are there any logs from the python script/server?

Ken - KN6JYZ

On Sun, Oct 11, 2020 at 7:25 AM Willi, OE1WKL <willi@...> wrote:
I know, this happens frequently - the simple Python script that is the web server is not running very stable and needs frequent restarts. This does not affect the chat server though (different script on port 7373, running very reliably).

If there happen to be any Python gurus around here, they could help me fix the web script problem… I am really not that good at Python….

Am 11.10.2020 um 16:17 schrieb vince adams <vince@...>:

Be Advised
cq.morserino.info is coming up a blank page

-
73, Vince KD7TWW

--
Ken Sedgwick
Bonsai Software, Inc.
http://www.bonsai.com/ken/
(510) 269-7334
ken@...
Public Key: http://www.bonsai.com/ken/ken.asc
GPG Fingerprint: 4695 E5B8 F781 BF85 4326  9639 BBFC E515 8602 5550

--
Ken Sedgwick
Bonsai Software, Inc.
http://www.bonsai.com/ken/
(510) 269-7334
ken@...
Public Key: http://www.bonsai.com/ken/ken.asc
GPG Fingerprint: 4695 E5B8 F781 BF85 4326  9639 BBFC E515 8602 5550

John, M0STQ

Willi, Ken,
   not sure it's worth digging into this too far.

It sounds like Willi is using a Python library web server (just a Python command to create a port 80 end point and serve pages), which is fine for testing and the usual web functionality, but probably won't stand up to any sort of attacks or web probes/scans.

There are quite a few automated scans going on for web vulnerabilities. Mostly by people trying to break into sites to either steal data or use them as a spam source or crypto-currency miner.

Main-stream web servers like Apache will fend off this sort of thing much better than a Python web service, and will probably have routines to restart themselves smoothly if threads get crashed by weird input they weren't able to handle.

My advice would be either:

1) carry on with the simpler set-up, but maybe also run a background script that stops and starts the Python web server once a day or something; or

2) install Apache and have the Python script writing static pages (like the last 20 log entries from the MOPP chat service) which Apache then renders to the world. You can then set Apache up with all the normal hardening, but still use Python for the clever bits.

Hope that helps,

John, M0STQ

Ken Sedgwick KN6JYZ

Another simple trick is to run an nginx reverse-proxy in front of the server; it's quite hardened.

I think it's still interesting to see if there is an explanation for the death in the logs though ...

Regards,

Ken