Topics

CW Decoder help

Rusty Schlagheck

I have been unsuccessful getting the CW decoder to work.  I connected my Icom 706mkiig speaker/phone jack to a splitter, one to my headphones, the other to Morserino.  I use a TRRS breakout box to connect the appropriate two wires from the earphone jack to the Morserino four pin TRRS plug (tip & first ring).  I am seeing no decoded CW.  I tune the CW signal up and down just to ensure I am within the bandpass/frequency.  Morserino filter option is set to wide.  I do see decoded CW when I tap the paddle, so the decoder is working.
Stumped.

Juergen Wagner

 I miss in your explanations whether you really measured that the AF is at the right pin of the audio jack - are you really sure that the audio arrives there?
73
Juergen
Send via my cell phone

Am 17.06.2020 um 01:56 schrieb Rusty Schlagheck via groups.io <w3us@...>:

I have been unsuccessful getting the CW decoder to work.  I connected my Icom 706mkiig speaker/phone jack to a splitter, one to my headphones, the other to Morserino.  I use a TRRS breakout box to connect the appropriate two wires from the earphone jack to the Morserino four pin TRRS plug (tip & first ring).  I am seeing no decoded CW.  I tune the CW signal up and down just to ensure I am within the bandpass/frequency.  Morserino filter option is set to wide.  I do see decoded CW when I tap the paddle, so the decoder is working.
Stumped.

Willi, OE1WKL

The audio input on the M32 is at Tip (and/or Ring 1, as we do not do stereo), with ground on Ring 2!

Willi

Am 17.06.2020 um 01:56 schrieb Rusty Schlagheck via groups.io <w3us@...>:

I have been unsuccessful getting the CW decoder to work.  I connected my Icom 706mkiig speaker/phone jack to a splitter, one to my headphones, the other to Morserino.  I use a TRRS breakout box to connect the appropriate two wires from the earphone jack to the Morserino four pin TRRS plug (tip & first ring).  I am seeing no decoded CW.  I tune the CW signal up and down just to ensure I am within the bandpass/frequency.  Morserino filter option is set to wide.  I do see decoded CW when I tap the paddle, so the decoder is working.
Stumped.

Rusty Schlagheck

I have tried every possible combination.  Still no joy.

Willi, OE1WKL

Did you adjust the audio input level (see manual)?

Am 18.06.2020 um 03:55 schrieb Rusty Schlagheck via groups.io <w3us@...>:

I have tried every possible combination.  Still no joy.

<UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_9bf0.jpg>
<UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_9bf4.jpg>

Rusty Schlagheck

No, I've not tried that yet.  The pot seems to be in the middle of it's range at present.  A member of this group PM'd me that I should hear the radio audio via the Morserino earphone jack, as if it is a pass-through.  Is that true?  If so, it would certainly make this process simpler.

Willi, OE1WKL

Well, you will not hear the audio of the receiver (there is no pass-through), but if a tone registers while decoding, you will hear a tone (generated by the Morserino).

The easiest approach is probably this:

1. Search for a steady carrier in your receiver, and tune it to around 700 Hz

2. Make sure that your audio is at tip, with ground at ring 2 (!! Not ring 1, not sleeve); if you have an oscilloscope, you can check it at the plug. It has to be a 4-pole plug!!

3. Plug the plug into the Morserino, and start the audio adjustment - this gives you a visual representation of the incoming audio. Adjust the blue trimmer according to the instructions of the manual. If you see just a bit of noise, and no bright bar, you have no audio at the input.

4. Now go for a clean CW signal in the receiver, again tune it to around 700 Hz.

5. Switch the Morserino to CW Decoder, and it should start decoding. Your results will probably be better if you set the parameter „Bandwidth“ to „Narrow“.

Am 19.06.2020 um 05:24 schrieb Rusty Schlagheck via groups.io <w3us@...>:

No, I've not tried that yet.  The pot seems to be in the middle of it's range at present.  A member of this group PM'd me that I should hear the radio audio via the Morserino earphone jack, as if it is a pass-through.  Is that true?  If so, it would certainly make this process simpler.

Rusty Schlagheck

Two standards.  Of course there are.  :-)
Got it working thanks to your helpful diagrams and encouragement.
Morserino customer support is beyond excellent.
Thanks!