Topics

Dead battery question

Mike Stone

I left the single lever paddle plugged into the Morsirino overnight and the battery was dead the next day, even though I opened the on/off switch. The battery wouldn’t accept a charge. I replaced the battery and the same thing happened the next time I left the keyer plugged into the Morsirino.

Is this normal?

Thanks,
Mike, N1VE

Willi, OE1WKL

When the switch is in the OFF position, the battery isn’t connected to anything (see the schematic diagram). So whatever is connected to the Morserino cannot have an influence on the battery.

Von meinem Mobiltelefon gesendet

Am 24.06.2020 um 13:50 schrieb Mike Stone <micacycle@...>:

I left the single lever paddle plugged into the Morsirino overnight and the battery was dead the next day, even though I opened the on/off switch. The battery wouldn’t accept a charge. I replaced the battery and the same thing happened the next time I left the keyer plugged into the Morsirino.

Is this normal?

Thanks,
Mike, N1VE

John, M0STQ

Mike,
were you trying to charge the battery(s) with the on/off switch off/open?

It needs to be on, for the reason Willi says below.

JD

On 24 Jun 2020, at 12:55, Willi, OE1WKL <@oe1wkl> wrote:

When the switch is in the OFF position, the battery isn’t connected to anything (see the schematic diagram). So whatever is connected to the Morserino cannot have an influence on the battery.

Von meinem Mobiltelefon gesendet

Am 24.06.2020 um 13:50 schrieb Mike Stone <micacycle@...>:

I left the single lever paddle plugged into the Morsirino overnight and the battery was dead the next day, even though I opened the on/off switch. The battery wouldn’t accept a charge. I replaced the battery and the same thing happened the next time I left the keyer plugged into the Morsirino.

Is this normal?

Thanks,
Mike, N1VE

Mike Stone

JD,
Yes I was trying to charge the battery with the switch off.  Since the orange LED came on, I thought it the battery was being charged.  Now with the switch on, the LED is much brighter and now the battery is charging.

Mike

On 24 Jun 2020, at 12:55, Willi, OE1WKL <willi@...> wrote:

When the switch is in the OFF position, the battery isn’t connected to anything (see the schematic diagram). So whatever is connected to the Morserino cannot have an influence on the battery.

Von meinem Mobiltelefon gesendet

Am 24.06.2020 um 13:50 schrieb Mike Stone <micacycle@...>:

I left the single lever paddle plugged into the Morsirino overnight and the battery was dead the next day, even though I opened the on/off switch. The battery wouldn’t accept a charge.  I replaced the battery and the same thing happened the next time I left the keyer plugged into the Morsirino.

Is this normal?

Thanks,
Mike, N1VE

John, M0STQ

Groovy. I did the same :-)

It’s not what you expect, when you’re used to cell phones and laptops, but it makes sense to completely isolate the battery, I guess.

JD