Topics

Displaying characters over the serial port

Chuck Broadwell, W5UXH

I just updated from V2.0 to 2.3.  I am sure I have seen a post about the serial port now being capable of displaying characters.  I find that what is sent with the paddle goes to the serial port but I do not find that the received / decoded CW output from Decoder or Transceiver mode is sent to the port.

Is this correct, of am I missing something that is preventing the decoder output from going to the serial port?  I have looked through the V2.3 manual and tried a forum search but have not found specific information about this, although I am sure it is covered.

Thanks,

Chuck, W5UXH

Craig T. Bailey

Hi Chuck,

be sure to toggle ON the output for Decoder/Encoder.  Theres a new setting opting in settings at the root level.

once you toggle it on, make sure your hyper term (Im using Putty) is set to 115200 baud.

On Feb 12, 2020, at 4:34 PM, Chuck Broadwell, W5UXH via Groups.Io <Chuck.Broadwell@...> wrote:

I just updated from V2.0 to 2.3.  I am sure I have seen a post about the serial port now being capable of displaying characters.  I find that what is sent with the paddle goes to the serial port but I do not find that the received / decoded CW output from Decoder or Transceiver mode is sent to the port.

Is this correct, of am I missing something that is preventing the decoder output from going to the serial port?  I have looked through the V2.3 manual and tried a forum search but have not found specific information about this, although I am sure it is covered.

Thanks,

Chuck, W5UXH

Craig T. Bailey
603-867-3607

--
_____
Craig Bailey

Chuck Broadwell, W5UXH

Thanks Craig, that was what I was missing.  Knowing what to look for, the manual search took me right to it.

Willi, OE1WKL

You have to set this in the parameters (default = keyer only). The parameter section of the current manual gives all the details.

Am 12.02.2020 um 22:34 schrieb Chuck Broadwell, W5UXH <Chuck.Broadwell@...>:

I just updated from V2.0 to 2.3.  I am sure I have seen a post about the serial port now being capable of displaying characters.  I find that what is sent with the paddle goes to the serial port but I do not find that the received / decoded CW output from Decoder or Transceiver mode is sent to the port.

Is this correct, of am I missing something that is preventing the decoder output from going to the serial port?  I have looked through the V2.3 manual and tried a forum search but have not found specific information about this, although I am sure it is covered.

Thanks,

Chuck, W5UXH

Chuck Broadwell, W5UXH

Thanks Willi, I have it now.

Chuck Broadwell, W5UXH

Willi, would it be practical for you to use two different colors on the terminal emulator, one color for the keyer output and another for the decoder output?  I find that makes it easy to follow the text in a QSO if one is displaying both CW streams over the serial port.  The ANSI escape sequences are easy to use for this if you have convenient places in the Morserino 32 software to inject them when switching between keyer and decoder output.

73,

Chuck

Willi, OE1WKL

I will have a look at this. Would probably mean to prefix each character with an escape sequence, as I am doing the output character by character; or I keep track somewhere in which „color“ I am currently in and switch only when it changes…
Alos have to check that space sequences do not break other software (like Enzo’s or Tommy’s) - they might not know how to deal with it.

Willi

Am 13.02.2020 um 14:21 schrieb Chuck Broadwell, W5UXH <Chuck.Broadwell@...>:

Willi, would it be practical for you to use two different colors on the terminal emulator, one color for the keyer output and another for the decoder output?  I find that makes it easy to follow the text in a QSO if one is displaying both CW streams over the serial port.  The ANSI escape sequences are easy to use for this if you have convenient places in the Morserino 32 software to inject them when switching between keyer and decoder output.

73,

Chuck

Chuck Broadwell, W5UXH

Ah, yes, ESCAPE sequences probably would be a problem for others using the serial stream.

It is not necessary to handle color on a per character basis, the terminal emulators (e.g. PuTTY) retain the commands sort of like a mode change, so the text and background colors can be changed and all subsequent characters will use the new colors until another sequence is sent to change it again.  I will send you an example later just in case it might be of interest.

Enzo and Tommy would need to be able to intercept and analyze the escape sequences, which are multiple byte "strings", so you probably would not be able to do this.

I may see if I can find the points in the code where you switch TX/RX mode and experiment myself just for the fun of it.

Thanks,

Chuck

Neall

In my opinion, the discussion about colored characters seems to be a "slippery slope" as to where it leads.   Which colors?   8-bit or 16-bit values?  Add character control like BS/CR/LF?  This all requires a protocol standard to be defined for the Morserino USB/serial output stream that includes non-printable control characters.   Some terminal emulators don't support the full ANSI control character set (such as VT100).

Hopefully, software enhancements to the Morserino are based on popular demand or considered to be of benefit to the majority of end users, without undue added complexity to the typical end user.  I'm not specifically judging "colorizing" as either worthy or not.   More generally, feature enhancements need to be considered based on their overall utility to the majority of users, as well as  to the consequences in terms of breaking backward compatibility with established software support tools (Tommy, Enzo, etc.).  Based on these conditions, if "character colorization" fits into that category, then it sounds reasonable.   73, W5NED Neall

Chuck Broadwell, W5UXH

I agree it does not seem reasonable because of the other tools (that I have only been aware of in the background from posts).  I have only used VT200 emulators, PuTTY on Windows and Linux, and ZOC on MacOS).  The escape sequences do not send color values, only a sequence of commands that are interpreted by PuTTY that specify RED, GREEN, etc, and some variations in shades, but only by name, not by the byte values for colors.  I only use a few basic colors, usually green, blue, and black, all on white background, but I configure PuTTY for the background and only send commands for the foreground changes.

I only mentioned this because I have done this for some years and find it nice to scan back through a QSO to check on things, the colors let me know who was saying what.

73,

Chuck

Doug KD9PK

Would it be possible for someone to set up a subgroup on groups.io for the phrases trainer?
There could be the MAIN group for the morserino and a EXTRAS subgroup for all other things.
Although the phrases trainer is great I have no interest in it and it is cluttering up the message stream such that I might miss important things on the M32. Since users can select how they want to receive the messages this would allow people like me to get immediate mail on the M32 and a daily/weekly digest on the Extras.

Thanks

73
Doug

On Feb 13, 2020, at 8:34 AM, Chuck Broadwell, W5UXH <Chuck.Broadwell@...> wrote:

[...]

I created a subgroup for all add-on software (usually running on a PC)  for the Morserino-32. Please join that group if you are interested, and post there anything that relates to theses add-ons.

OE1WKL

Am 13.02.2020 um 15:41 schrieb Doug KD9PK <kd9pk@...>:

[...]

Tommy Clemmensen

How to join that groupe?

Tommy

Den 13-02-2020 kl. 18:06 skrev Willi, OE1WKL:

[...]

I have set up a subgroup addon-pc-software for discussing these types of add ons that usually get some feed from teh serial output of the Morserino.
If you arte interested in these things, you should subscribe to that subgroup.
Please post questions and tips for add-one only in that subgroup from now on!

Thanks,

Willi