Topics

Empty Battery sign displaying on startup

daveyeaman@...

Hi, I've just built my Morserino all went well, but on startup with the battery or with a USB power connection I get a quick display of the version etc then get an empty battery sign. I've gone over the solders and all looks good, I've tested the solders on the heltec module and all are good. Any suggestions as to what is wrong or how to diagnose?

Regards,

Dave

Craig T. Bailey

I would start by disconnecting the battery, and checking it’s voltage with a multi meter.

--
_____
Craig Bailey

daveyeaman@...

It makes no difference if the battery is connected or not, the display is the same. The instructions say the morserino should work from a USB 5V supply alone.

Dave
MM7YEA
Aberdeen
Scotland.

Steve G1YBB

Hi Dave,

I've only powered mine from USB so far, not fitted a battery. So yes, 100% will run on just USB, I use my phone charger. I don't think I have seen an empty battery symbol.

Steve

Phil B

That’s right, I too run from USB without problems. The battery indicator shows as full when the Morserino is powered in this fashion.

Perhaps a little obvious, but have you checked for solder bridges?

73 de Phil

On 30 Dec 2019, at 10:11, Steve G1YBB via Groups.Io <tenchy@...> wrote:

Hi Dave,

I've only powered mine from USB so far, not fitted a battery. So yes, 100% will run on just USB, I use my phone charger. I don't think I have seen an empty battery symbol.

Steve

Willi, OE1WKL

What does the start-up screen look like? What is the voltage displayed, and what does the voltage bar look like? This info please for a) just using USB, b) just using battery, and c) while charging the battery.

Thanks,

Willi
OE1WKL

Am 29.12.2019 um 18:10 schrieb daveyeaman via Groups.Io <daveyeaman@...>:

Hi, I've just built my Morserino all went well, but on startup with the battery or with a USB power connection I get a quick display of the version etc then get an empty battery sign. I've gone over the solders and all looks good, I've tested the solders on the heltec module and all are good. Any suggestions as to what is wrong or how to diagnose?

Regards,

Dave

daveyeaman@...

Hi Willi, the display is the same when using USB or battery, momentarily I see the power on version displayed then immediately I see the empty battery sign which displays for two to three seconds.

And to answer Phil's point there appear to be no solder bridges.

Dave
MM7YEA

Willi, OE1WKL

Dave,
The only other explanation I can think of is that the voltage regulator on the Heltec module gave up.
I will send you a new Heltec module when the next batch of kits goes out (in about a week). Please return the old one to me once you have the new one.

Am 31.12.2019 um 11:32 schrieb daveyeaman via Groups.Io <daveyeaman@...>:

Hi Willi, the display is the same when using USB or battery, momentarily I see the power on version displayed then immediately I see the empty battery sign which displays for two to three seconds.

And to answer Phil's point there appear to be no solder bridges.

Dave
MM7YEA

Neall

I've started seeing this on some startups, but only after upgrading to V2.2  If I unplug and replug a time or two, it works normally again.  I have no battery installed.

Neall

I can generate a sequence of actions that will cause this to occur consistently:  I have no battery installed.

Version 2.2 only!
1) Go to WiFi functions
2) Go to Config Wifi
3) Press black button and get the usual AP: morserino, URL m32.. etc.
4) Press red button to abort.

I get a "resetting now..." banner, then normal startup screen, then: EMPTY.  The only thing it responds to after this is  pressing the red button, which shows the startup screen, but instead of the
voltage bar at the bottom, I get EMPTY when the bar would normally appear.  Only solution is to unplug and replug, and everything works fine again.  73, de W5NED Neall

Willi, OE1WKL

Hi Neall,

Thanks for bringing this to my attention!

I am actually certain this was the same behavior in earlier versions (but I will test that too). Apparently this is a software bug in the Heltec library, together with a hardware design problem. Battery voltage measurement and WiFi use the same pin of the ESP32, and once WiFi is running, battery measurement always returns 0. I did not realize that a soft reset does not turn WiFi off completely - that Pin still seems to be in use. I now quickly tried some work arounds, but none of them works - the library function to turn off WiFi does not really work as expected. So the only way around is to perform a hard reset, either by powering down, or by pressing the reset button on the Heltec (the push button below the USB connector).

The error probably shows up whenever you used WiFi - configuring it, or using it for file upload or download. But I will further investigate in this (strange that this did not come up before….)

Willi

Am 24.01.2020 um 09:34 schrieb Neall <neall@...>:

I can generate a sequence of actions that will cause this to occur consistently:  I have no battery installed.

Version 2.2 only!
1) Go to WiFi functions
2) Go to Config Wifi
3) Press black button and get the usual AP: morserino, URL m32.. etc.
4) Press red button to abort.

I get a "resetting now..." banner, then normal startup screen, then: EMPTY.  The only thing it responds to after this is  pressing the red button, which shows the startup screen, but instead of the
voltage bar at the bottom, I get EMPTY when the bar would normally appear.  Only solution is to unplug and replug, and everything works fine again.  73, de W5NED Neall

Neall

Willi, thanks for confirming.  In fact, I noticed this when upgrading to V2.2  It reset after the update, and that's when i saw the EMPTY and honestly I didn't even know what that meant at first.  I thought the flash memory was empty, and that I was bricked!!   I understand now it's the battery.  Reset fixed it.  WHEW!

Sometimes when I do a "check wifi," the Morserino doesn't connect to the network the first time (as mentioned in the manual) and this also causes a reboot and EMPTY message.

Here's the funny thing... I got my Morserino in the mail this afternoon.  I assembled it tonight and I've only been using it for about 2 hours.  I'm already causing trouble in the forum :-).
I am definitely loving the machine, though!  Thanks for your efforts. 73, Neall

Willi, OE1WKL

I know now what happened:

The bug was there already in the earlier versions, but it did not lead to an „Empty battery“ sign. Ist always gave a battery voltage of 3.6 V instead (no matter what the real value was).

So what has changed? In 2.2 I am using a newer battery measurement subroutine which gives  slightly better results - unfortunately this routine returned a 0 for implausible results. The older routine did not (although the measurement was wrong). With a result of 0 battery voltage the firmware complains about an empty battery.

I changed that now, and do not return 0. The measurement is still wrong, but always shows 3.6 V, so at least the empty battery sign will not show up. Measurements will be correct again as soon as you do a hard reset or power down.

While ugly, this does not really present a big problem: when on battery, you will power down regularly anyway, and after that everything is OK again. When on USB, the battery measurement is not really meaningful anyway (you get usually a value around 4 V even with no battery present).

if you have installed V.2.2 already, download it again and re-install to avoid the empty battery sign!

Am 24.01.2020 um 10:26 schrieb Neall <neall@...>:

Willi, thanks for confirming.  In fact, I noticed this when upgrading to V2.2  It reset after the update, and that's when i saw the EMPTY and honestly I didn't even know what that meant at first.  I thought the flash memory was empty, and that I was bricked!!   I understand now it's the battery.  Reset fixed it.  WHEW!

Sometimes when I do a "check wifi," the Morserino doesn't connect to the network the first time (as mentioned in the manual) and this also causes a reboot and EMPTY message.

Here's the funny thing... I got my Morserino in the mail this afternoon.  I assembled it tonight and I've only been using it for about 2 hours.  I'm already causing trouble in the forum :-).
I am definitely loving the machine, though!  Thanks for your efforts. 73, Neall

Richard

Great work and insight Willi

Would it not be best to call it 2.2.1 or 2.3 so we don’t end up getting confused at some point in the future?

Cheers

Richard

On 24 Jan 2020, at 22:57, Willi, OE1WKL <willi@...> wrote:

[...]

Did not fix it for me.  Even though I went back to the github software repo and downloaded V 2.2 again, I think I may be re-installing the same older version of 2.2.  Is the repo updated?  Am I going to the right place?  Can you provide the md5sum for the correct version?  Richard may be right... I'm confused about what exactly I'm running now.  73, W5NED Neall

Neall

Ok MY MISTAKE.  At first, I did not go down the "work around the battery measurement bug/src" tree.   THAT version of 2.2 works!  I actually found it in "src." I can now see the situations when the 3.6v "fake" voltage is written in.  This looks like a very good solution to me!!   I hope other's don't install from the "regular" tree. 73, Neall

Eike Lantzsch

On Friday, 24 January 2020 09:11:06 -03 Richard wrote:
Great work and insight Willi

Would it not be best to call it 2.2.1 or 2.3 so we don’t end up getting
confused at some point in the future?

Cheers

Richard
Well, nobody keeps nobody back to call the file
morse_3_v2.2.1.ino.wifi_lora_32.bin 913.4k
instead of morse_3_v2.2.ino.wifi_lora_32 913.3k
but of course the morserino will only advertize v2.2 no matter what.
As I only own one morserino and am the only user in the house ...
I don't care.
Thank you Willi for managing to send out a bug-fix so quickly!
vy 73 t y'all
--
Eike Lantzsch ZP6CGE

Willi, OE1WKL

I just published a version 2.3 on GitHub. Essentially the same as the corrected 2.2, but now the display shows „Unknown“ instead of a battery voltage (and a battery symbol with a question mark) after the use of a WiFi function - this is marginally better than the erroneous 3.6 V shown with 2.2 in such cases. Also serves as a reminder to power down should you want to know the real battery state…

Willi

Am 24.01.2020 um 17:08 schrieb Eike Lantzsch <zp6cge@...>:

On Friday, 24 January 2020 09:11:06 -03 Richard wrote:
Great work and insight Willi

Would it not be best to call it 2.2.1 or 2.3 so we don’t end up getting
confused at some point in the future?

Cheers

Richard
Well, nobody keeps nobody back to call the file
morse_3_v2.2.1.ino.wifi_lora_32.bin 913.4k
instead of morse_3_v2.2.ino.wifi_lora_32 913.3k
but of course the morserino will only advertize v2.2 no matter what.
As I only own one morserino and am the only user in the house ...
I don't care.
Thank you Willi for managing to send out a bug-fix so quickly!
vy 73 t y'all
--
Eike Lantzsch ZP6CGE

Neall

Willi, thank you for everything!!   I'll look for you at the Orlando Hamcation.  My brother, Russ KN4RD gets the other Morserino (I bought 2).  We'll both see you there.  73, W5NED Neall

Willi, OE1WKL

Great! Looking forward to it!

Willi