Topics

Feature request (and Arduino development help)

Enzo Stefanazzi
 

Hello,

I received my Morserino32 few days ago, assembled in less than a hour a made it working without any issues.
Now I am wondering if in next fw releases can be added a "Transmitted character echo" feature. It should send over a serial port, or a TCP/WEB socket, characters sent using a paddle in "cw keyer" mode or using a straight key in "cw decode" mode.
The idea is to use it with a computer program that can generate random characters, read the data from Morserino and display errors, max and average speed.
I was trying to implement it using the provided github source code and Arduino IDE, but I am struggling with the SSD1306.h missing file error and with the mess of additional libraries. I read all the posts about the Arduino IDE problems, added the additional Heltec board definitions and related libraries as described in the Heltec web site. In addition I added the libs provided  in the download group area and selected the "WiFi Lora 32(V2)" board in the IDE (I am not sure about the board type - please confirm it is right), but it is not enough.
Maybe there are differences in developing the code on Windows vs MacOSx that make things so difficult.

Anyway it is a great device!
Any help will be appreciated

73' Enzo
iw7dmh

Craig T. Bailey
 

Once you have the heltec libraries, you’ll still need two more: “Button” and another one.

It turns out the MAC OS ide for Arduino is the one i prefer.  

The board type is as you describe.

There is one line that still needs to be commented out in order for it to compile on mine, has to do with older hardware versions of the board needing a special pin.  It’s pretty quick to identify which one to comment out.

Once the libraries are installed, it really is quite a nice environment.


On Nov 20, 2019, at 09:55, Enzo Stefanazzi via Groups.Io <v.stefa@...> wrote:

Hello,

I received my Morserino32 few days ago, assembled in less than a hour a made it working without any issues.
Now I am wondering if in next fw releases can be added a "Transmitted character echo" feature. It should send over a serial port, or a TCP/WEB socket, characters sent using a paddle in "cw keyer" mode or using a straight key in "cw decode" mode.
The idea is to use it with a computer program that can generate random characters, read the data from Morserino and display errors, max and average speed.
I was trying to implement it using the provided github source code and Arduino IDE, but I am struggling with the SSD1306.h missing file error and with the mess of additional libraries. I read all the posts about the Arduino IDE problems, added the additional Heltec board definitions and related libraries as described in the Heltec web site. In addition I added the libs provided  in the download group area and selected the "WiFi Lora 32(V2)" board in the IDE (I am not sure about the board type - please confirm it is right), but it is not enough.
Maybe there are differences in developing the code on Windows vs MacOSx that make things so difficult.

Anyway it is a great device!
Any help will be appreciated

73' Enzo
iw7dmh

--
_____
Craig Bailey
N1SFT
NH, USA

Enzo Stefanazzi
 

Hi Craig,

thank you very much for your answer. In the end I made it work, but I found something odd in the Arduino IDE (1.8.10) or in the Heltec definition Board package (0.0.4).
For a reason I can't understand the ClickButton lib is regularly loaded when installed in the usual directory C:\Users\enzo\Documents\Arduino\libraries. The other two missing libs, LoRa and OLED can't be found if installed in the same directory.
I had to move them in the IDE lib directory, C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\libraries, to make everything working fine.
The statement I commented out is on line #133 const int Vext = 21;

Also, in the manual I read about an additional serial port that can be installed on the PCB: please suggest a proper connector that can be used (a Mouser part id should be fine as well) and confirm that it can be referenced in the software as the Serial2 port.

73' Enzo, iw7dmh

Enzo Stefanazzi
 
Edited

Hello,

I gave a look at the code and found the statement that can print all characters on the Serial port (it is inside the printToScroll function - row 3854 ).
For what I need it is enough for a host application development but it would be nice you could add a menu option that can enables the feature whichever one want.
I hope you'll agree.
Anyway thank you very much for this great project.

Best regards

Enzo, iw7dmh

P.S.: I modified he statement in
        Serial.printf("%s", text.c_str());

Willi, OE1WKL
 

Thanks, Enzo, I will include this option in the next firmware version…

73

Willi


Am 08.12.2019 um 21:38 schrieb Enzo Stefanazzi via Groups.Io <v.stefa@...>:

[Edited Message Follows]

Hello,

I gave a look at the code and found the statement that can print all characters on the Serial port (it is inside the printToScroll function - row 3854 ).
For what I need it is enough for a host application development but it would be nice you could add a menu option that can enables the feature whichever one want.
I hope you'll agree.
Anyway thank you very much for this great project.

Best regards

Enzo, iw7dmh

P.S.: I modified he statement in
        Serial.printf("%s", text.c_str());


Enzo Stefanazzi
 

In the meantime I made some progress with a very basic app.
Morserino's ability to decode the straight key is really surprising.


73' Enzo

CW trainer for Morserino 32

PeteWK8S
 

What program are you using for this video?


On Dec 14, 2019, at 1:17 AM, Enzo Stefanazzi via Groups.Io <v.stefa@...> wrote:

In the meantime I made some progress with a very basic app.
Morserino's ability to decode the straight key is really surprising.


73' Enzo

CW trainer for Morserino 32

Pete Meier
pmeier at me.com
Amateur Radio Callsign: WK8S
|| I never lose. If I don't win, I learn. - unknown author ||

Willi, OE1WKL
 

This is really amazing, Enzo!
What platform is the software running on? Will it be available to the public? Open Source?
As I already mentioned, I will include an option for serial output of characters in the next firmware version, so there might be quite a number of people interested in using your software!


73
Willi
OE1WKL

Enzo Stefanazzi
 

Hello Willi,

the software is based on Microsoft .Net Platform (C#). The code is not stylized like the one in your Morserino firmware, so I would like to release the executable, but freely (I am a sw developer for other platforms and I don't have any skills on how to organize the code for .net systems). Of course I can send the source code to anyone interested in it. Also, if I have permission, I can upload the program in the files section of the Morserino group. Now it needs some bug fixes and "more in depth" testing that I would like to do after the new fw release.

Anyway the leading idea is "share it" and I am very happy you and other friends like it.
 
Best regards

Enzo, iw7dmh

 

colin humphries
 

I would love to see the option of using a straight key so I can use the echo cw to learn, it's hard enough to learn cw let alone learn paddles AND cw. A user "Arttu" did have a modified firmware but it didn't have the auto character spacing. Last I heard he fixed it and was going to work it into the latest firmware that's out now.
Colin (K0LIN)

Jim Upson
 

I too am in the beginning stage of learning Morse Code.....and have purchased a Morserino32 just last month as a part of my overall learning process.....plus it is super cool...all-in-one self-contained and easy to take traveling great tool....

The following is nothing I can yet confirm to be a working/successful plan....but it is the one I am pursuing.....

I am sure there may be “smarter” approaches but this one seems to fit my abilities and style for learning Morse Code starting essentially from ground zero....(although I have taken CW Ops level one course...)

With that said:

My current plan is based on ”The Zen and Art of Radiotelegraphy”....which suggests to learn proper sending you start by:

1) first focus your learning to RECEIVE all letters etc. at a 15-CPM speed (characters per minute) and working your Overall effective speed starting very slow (1-5 WPM) start and ramping-up to overall the 15-WPM speed. 

— To facilitate this I am using “ Ham Morse “ on iPhone (search for “ ham morse ios “).....I’ve REORDERED” the Koch character learning sequence to match the “ZART” sequence.  I love this app...

2) then add in STRAIGHT KEY sending at the 15-WPM rate 

3) then ramp-up sending with a STRAIGHT KEY up to 20-WPM....finally 

3) to go above 20WPM, switch to Iambic paddle....

Search for ” ZART RADIOTELEGRAPHY ik0ygj PDF “.... or click on this link for the 100-page file:


This plan was originally “hatched” based on a 15+minute Youtube video....especially at the 4:00 minute mark.....here I got the idea to use FLDIGI to check my STRAIGHT  KEY sending....(as well as iambic keying)

Search for “ Youtube Kevin Loughin three things to avoid for better sending “ .... or click here:

So far I’ve installed FLDIGI on my MacBook Pro,  And I’ve connected an oscillator (3CPO from KC9ON - 3rd Planet Solar) with my straight key  to the MacBook....(I needed some cables to make an “external microphone” work on a MacBook....if you need help with that there are YouTube’s available).   

My next (and hopefully last) step is to configure FLDIGI for CW so my keying will be “picked up” and displayed on the FLDIGI screen....

I then will use Morserino32 for continued clean sending practice....especially for Iambic practice 

Well....this was probably way more than anyone asked for.....but thought I’d share my journey’s plan.....

Comments welcome....I am a struggling Morse Code student and welcome any help you can offer....

73, JIM AC3B 

Dave
 

Hi Jim,
The only advice I can give is to keep the individual character speed (not the CPM) relatively high, like 15-20. That will keep you from hearing individual dits and dahs and hear the complete character. You want focus on the complete character or it will be difficult to increase the CPM.



KC3GPM

Sent using Zoho Mail


---- On Tue, 17 Dec 2019 09:47:42 -0500 Jim Upson<jim72upson@...> wrote ----

I too am in the beginning stage of learning Morse Code.....and have purchased a Morserino32 just last month as a part of my overall learning process.....plus it is super cool...all-in-one self-contained and easy to take traveling great tool....

The following is nothing I can yet confirm to be a working/successful plan....but it is the one I am pursuing.....

I am sure there may be “smarter” approaches but this one seems to fit my abilities and style for learning Morse Code starting essentially from ground zero....(although I have taken CW Ops level one course...)

With that said:

My current plan is based on ”The Zen and Art of Radiotelegraphy”....which suggests to learn proper sending you start by:

1) first focus your learning to RECEIVE all letters etc. at a 15-CPM speed (characters per minute) and working your Overall effective speed starting very slow (1-5 WPM) start and ramping-up to overall the 15-WPM speed. 

— To facilitate this I am using “ Ham Morse “ on iPhone (search for “ ham morse ios “).....I’ve REORDERED” the Koch character learning sequence to match the “ZART” sequence.  I love this app...

2) then add in STRAIGHT KEY sending at the 15-WPM rate 

3) then ramp-up sending with a STRAIGHT KEY up to 20-WPM....finally 

3) to go above 20WPM, switch to Iambic paddle....

Search for ” ZART RADIOTELEGRAPHY ik0ygj PDF “.... or click on this link for the 100-page file:


This plan was originally “hatched” based on a 15+minute Youtube video....especially at the 4:00 minute mark.....here I got the idea to use FLDIGI to check my STRAIGHT  KEY sending....(as well as iambic keying)

Search for “ Youtube Kevin Loughin three things to avoid for better sending “ .... or click here:

So far I’ve installed FLDIGI on my MacBook Pro,  And I’ve connected an oscillator (3CPO from KC9ON - 3rd Planet Solar) with my straight key  to the MacBook....(I needed some cables to make an “external microphone” work on a MacBook....if you need help with that there are YouTube’s available).   

My next (and hopefully last) step is to configure FLDIGI for CW so my keying will be “picked up” and displayed on the FLDIGI screen....

I then will use Morserino32 for continued clean sending practice....especially for Iambic practice 

Well....this was probably way more than anyone asked for.....but thought I’d share my journey’s plan.....

Comments welcome....I am a struggling Morse Code student and welcome any help you can offer....

73, JIM AC3B 


Enzo Stefanazzi
 

Thank you Willi for releasing Fw.2.2 with the requested feature.
My simple program is available at https://iw7dmh.jimdofree.com/other-projects/cw-trainer-for-morserino-32/
I hope you enjoy it.

73', iw7dmh