Topics

First Issue Fixed- BUT NOW???

Pars Mancuso - W3PAR

Ok, I was sorta bragging that my build working FB on first "Fire Up"/ "Smoke Test".
Everything was great. 
I Lost out on a lot of yard work and chores that day. Started around 08:30 and after a very relaxed morning was having a blast with my new code machine before lunch. Chickens, rabbit, compost pile, garden, etc, etc neglected as I had found the CW learning / advancment tool I had been looking for.

Alas, about 16:30 that day I started to refine my intuitive playing around and exploring skills and started using the Manual going through the Menus and Parameters listed therein. 
I believe I may have been the first to get "FROZE" in the loop cycling wifi set up with quick start. 
Anyways, with help from local resources found on this site, I was able to send it out "state side" and it was returned updated and working again FB. I enjoyed an easy wifi set up, and downloaded several files for my copy practice. Most lately a "summary" of the Rhyme of the Ancient Mariner. I was very pleased to set this up following the directions in the manual letter for letter with no issues, using an iMac. It was all new to me but I was again up and running 1st try.

So, I actually was able to attend a local Ham Club Meeting about a week later and do a "Dog and Pony" show.
There was a crowed gathered around as I worked through several of my favorite utilities on the gadget. Including, the file with repeat or next word, Auto speed with repeat, plugged in different keys etc etc. It worked flawlessly and I was informed that at least one new MS32 was ordered that afternoon from my demonstration. 

I take this gadget to work with me, a long day trapped in a small room with a great view. I do 15-30 minute head copying practice sessions utilizing the repeat or forward set up with my selected file. I have found that Farnsworth usage set at 6 between letters and 14 between words has really been a boost in motivation as I had originally started at 9 and 21 with 25 wpm character speed. This tool/ gadget  is great!!!
BUT!!!!!

Now, the speaker has completely stopped. It was working great, no issues or no warnings. I packed it into a protective padded case that I use and next day at work, no sound. The light was flashing but no sound. I just now, as I am typing this plugged in a headset and it is generating a superb tone, but again the speaker is not sounding.  Im scratching my head wondering if I vaguely remember someone writing on here about a speaker issue???  I was so occupied with the loop problem that Im not sure??

If anyone else is having a speaker issue, or has found a resolve for such, please let me now. I cant wear headphones at work and really would like to get this straightened out as quick as possible. I looking forward to loading "The Raven" for my next practice file. I do wish there was a way to have several files that one could scroll through. But I am just needing to hear anything at the moment. 
I read that it would not hook up to an external speaker without a separate ground or such???  Not sure what that would entail but it may be a quick solution if adaptable?

Thanks for any suggestions that I haven't seen or located on this site yet for the speaker issue. 

Pars

Willi, OE1WKL

Pars,

A cold soldering spot on the speaker tabs might be the issue - so due to some mechanical stress (vibrations during transport) the contact got lost….?

I would first test the speaker itself (apply low voltage  - 1-2V - from a battery or so directly to the speaker (you see the two pads in the opening of the case) while the Morserino is switched off - you should hear scratching noises when applying and removing the voltage.

If this is OK, it is definitely the soldering.

If the speaker is dead, I need to supply you with a new one (they are not available on the market any longer, I’m afraid ).

Willi

Am 02.08.2020 um 17:37 schrieb Pars Mancuso - W3PAR <capnpar@...>:

Ok, I was sorta bragging that my build working FB on first "Fire Up"/ "Smoke Test".
Everything was great. 
I Lost out on a lot of yard work and chores that day. Started around 08:30 and after a very relaxed morning was having a blast with my new code machine before lunch. Chickens, rabbit, compost pile, garden, etc, etc neglected as I had found the CW learning / advancment tool I had been looking for.

Alas, about 16:30 that day I started to refine my intuitive playing around and exploring skills and started using the Manual going through the Menus and Parameters listed therein. 
I believe I may have been the first to get "FROZE" in the loop cycling wifi set up with quick start. 
Anyways, with help from local resources found on this site, I was able to send it out "state side" and it was returned updated and working again FB. I enjoyed an easy wifi set up, and downloaded several files for my copy practice. Most lately a "summary" of the Rhyme of the Ancient Mariner. I was very pleased to set this up following the directions in the manual letter for letter with no issues, using an iMac. It was all new to me but I was again up and running 1st try.

So, I actually was able to attend a local Ham Club Meeting about a week later and do a "Dog and Pony" show.
There was a crowed gathered around as I worked through several of my favorite utilities on the gadget. Including, the file with repeat or next word, Auto speed with repeat, plugged in different keys etc etc. It worked flawlessly and I was informed that at least one new MS32 was ordered that afternoon from my demonstration. 

I take this gadget to work with me, a long day trapped in a small room with a great view. I do 15-30 minute head copying practice sessions utilizing the repeat or forward set up with my selected file. I have found that Farnsworth usage set at 6 between letters and 14 between words has really been a boost in motivation as I had originally started at 9 and 21 with 25 wpm character speed. This tool/ gadget  is great!!!
BUT!!!!!

Now, the speaker has completely stopped. It was working great, no issues or no warnings. I packed it into a protective padded case that I use and next day at work, no sound. The light was flashing but no sound. I just now, as I am typing this plugged in a headset and it is generating a superb tone, but again the speaker is not sounding.  Im scratching my head wondering if I vaguely remember someone writing on here about a speaker issue???  I was so occupied with the loop problem that Im not sure??

If anyone else is having a speaker issue, or has found a resolve for such, please let me now. I cant wear headphones at work and really would like to get this straightened out as quick as possible. I looking forward to loading "The Raven" for my next practice file. I do wish there was a way to have several files that one could scroll through. But I am just needing to hear anything at the moment. 
I read that it would not hook up to an external speaker without a separate ground or such???  Not sure what that would entail but it may be a quick solution if adaptable?

Thanks for any suggestions that I haven't seen or located on this site yet for the speaker issue. 

Pars

John, M0STQ

Pars,
    also, it should be fine if you plug in a set of powered PC speakers, or anything that will take a Line In input. Connect instead of the headphones. 

Hope that helps,

JD

On 2 Aug 2020, at 16:54, Willi, OE1WKL <willi@...> wrote:

Pars,

A cold soldering spot on the speaker tabs might be the issue - so due to some mechanical stress (vibrations during transport) the contact got lost….?

I would first test the speaker itself (apply low voltage  - 1-2V - from a battery or so directly to the speaker (you see the two pads in the opening of the case) while the Morserino is switched off - you should hear scratching noises when applying and removing the voltage.

If this is OK, it is definitely the soldering.

If the speaker is dead, I need to supply you with a new one (they are not available on the market any longer, I’m afraid ).

Willi

Am 02.08.2020 um 17:37 schrieb Pars Mancuso - W3PAR <capnpar@...>:

Everything was great. 

BUT!!!!!

Pars

Pars Mancuso - W3PAR

Well,
I was actually hoping to "eat some crow" or some "humble pie".  At least then it could have been resolved quickly and back in service today. I had already checked the speaker with a 1.5 battery but was expecting a normal pitch sound, so I did it again listening for a scratch or such, but nothing. 
So, out of desperation and with high hopes, I heated up the two pins at the board and made sure they had a nice wet seat. Still nothing 

Naturally I just threw a set of computer speakers out "recently" that had been laying around for years. (Always the case)
I think one of my Deckhands is a gamer and probably has a set in his dads garage. So maybe I can weasel it out of him for a few weeks. Thanks for the offer to send me a new speaker. I was pretty frustrated but this is a great site for a most useful CW trainer that I am glad to be a part of. 
I do have a pretty good spring mounted solder sucker so it shouldn't be a big deal to RnR the unit. 
Let me know what kinda time frame I should be expecting. It will make for a wee light at the end of the tunnel. 

Thanks for a quick response and inputs from others. 

Pars

Also, Im not sure that my unit was upgraded with the new 3.0.2 notes as it still reads 3.0.0  at the opening screen. Is there any way to confirm that I have that latest patch??
My hardline attempts with the usb has shown that the iMac is not making nice with me piloting the command prompts. So if I can try to bring it up to date with the wifi or confirm somehow it is already there,  I would feel better about not accidentally getting stuck again. 

As usual,  Thanks Kindly for the assistance. 

If anyone reading this is using an iMac and is comfortable with the usb coms with the MS32, please give me a shout on the private side and maybe I can glean a few ideas. 
Cheers

Willi, OE1WKL

If the startup screen does not say 3.0.2, then it does not have that version loaded…

Willi

Am 02.08.2020 um 20:39 schrieb Pars Mancuso - W3PAR <capnpar@...>:

Well,
I was actually hoping to "eat some crow" or some "humble pie".  At least then it could have been resolved quickly and back in service today. I had already checked the speaker with a 1.5 battery but was expecting a normal pitch sound, so I did it again listening for a scratch or such, but nothing. 
So, out of desperation and with high hopes, I heated up the two pins at the board and made sure they had a nice wet seat. Still nothing 

Naturally I just threw a set of computer speakers out "recently" that had been laying around for years. (Always the case)
I think one of my Deckhands is a gamer and probably has a set in his dads garage. So maybe I can weasel it out of him for a few weeks. Thanks for the offer to send me a new speaker. I was pretty frustrated but this is a great site for a most useful CW trainer that I am glad to be a part of. 
I do have a pretty good spring mounted solder sucker so it shouldn't be a big deal to RnR the unit. 
Let me know what kinda time frame I should be expecting. It will make for a wee light at the end of the tunnel. 

Pars

Also, Im not sure that my unit was upgraded with the new 3.0.2 notes as it still reads 3.0.0  at the opening screen. Is there any way to confirm that I have that latest patch??
My hardline attempts with the usb has shown that the iMac is not making nice with me piloting the command prompts. So if I can try to bring it up to date with the wifi or confirm somehow it is already there,  I would feel better about not accidentally getting stuck again. 

If anyone reading this is using an iMac and is comfortable with the usb coms with the MS32, please give me a shout on the private side and maybe I can glean a few ideas. 
Cheers

Joe K9SZ

Hi Pars,

Since you are getting a new speaker destroying the old one is an option. You could snip the legs on the old one leaving some length to work with which will make it come out easier. Sorry if that is obvious, just thought that I’d mention as it has helped me with large solder joints in the past working on one at a time. 

For updating, I suggest trying the WiFi update out, if you haven’t already. I tried it recently with a recent firmware update and worked great using Safari. I didn’t use to have success with it. The only tip I have is to be patient. Safari reports 100% uploaded for sometime before the update finishes. If that fails or you just want to try USB updating again, drop me a private message if you like.

Joe K9SZ

On Aug 2, 2020, at 1:39 PM, Pars Mancuso - W3PAR <capnpar@...> wrote:

Well,

Pars

Cheers

Pars Mancuso - W3PAR

Ok, so...
I was able to update my MS32 to 3.0.2 following the instructions carefully at the back of the manual using wifi, but also noticing on the MS32 screen a different number to use for the wifi at one point. I think it was 10.0.0 or such but it was clearly on the bottom screen and once I used it and adjusted my computer (iMac) to it, then it only took a try or 2. Yes I did had to move to within about 2 meters of my router. I was only about 10 meters away to start with but it would not connect. so, being reasonably close makes a difference. 
also, My wife wondering what all the fuss was about finally figured out what I was doing and informed me that she had a set of older computer speakers stashed away. I have successfully hooked them up and am back in business to get through a long 11.5 hr shift in the Pilot House. The extra wires and speakers will be a mess in the small space with limited shelving and such, but I can continue my head copy practice. 
Thanks again for the help and input.  Looking forward to replacing the speaker and getting back to normal. 
Now, about that file division idea???? "Smiling"

73 to all

W3Par