Topics

I would like to fully test my new to me Morserino-32

vince adams

I want to fully test this device before I send it off to Paul on this list server, who asked me to ASSY it. And the bit.ly link on the piece of paper does now work. My old browser did not like the transfer on the bit.ly link
So, Anyhow I don't know CW but I would like to fully test this and its many different modes? Can I provide a YouTube link to what I see (functions) and you guys comment on the correct functions? In other words, if it's functionally correct?

-
73, Vince KD7TWW

We host a Friday Fun net. Join us every Friday night in Boise Idaho https://groups.io/g/fun-netboise

vince adams

I will upload a YT video in several parts to ask questions. I would like to test this before it gets shipped off to Paul. I am currectly working on a YT link now
Vince KD7TWW

vince adams

Please dooo comment on YT or reply here. Mostly my trouble is with WIFI settings for the Morserino. I would also like to know if you think it looks like it's functioning pretty well?
Please subscribe so I can respond to comments on YT
TY 73, Vince KD7TWW

From: main@morserino.groups.io <main@morserino.groups.io> on behalf of vince adams via groups.io <vince@...>
Sent: Sunday, October 11, 2020 8:03 AM
To: main@morserino.groups.io <main@morserino.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [morserino] I would like to fully test my new to me Morserino-32

I will upload a YT video in several parts to ask questions. I would like to test this before it gets shipped off to Paul. I am currectly working on a YT link now
Vince KD7TWW

vince adams

Paul's from Washington D.C. Morserino-32 build. https://qsl.net/k/kd7tww//pauls-morserino32-build/DSCN3981.JPG
It will be back to him after testing and a new battery from Amazon
It was really a fun kit to build in under 1 hour. Thanks Willie. Great kit! No encoder issues at all
Maybe I'll have videos of the build, up later after edits on YT
73, Vince

From: main@morserino.groups.io <main@morserino.groups.io> on behalf of vince adams via groups.io <vince@...>
Sent: Sunday, October 11, 2020 11:37 AM

Please dooo comment on YT or reply here. Mostly my trouble is with WIFI settings for the Morserino. I would also like to know if you think it looks like it's functioning pretty well?
Please subscribe so I can respond to comments on YT
TY 73, Vince KD7TWW

Sent: Sunday, October 11, 2020 8:03 AM

Vince KD7TWW

Willi, OE1WKL

Here is a quick write-up of testing procedure that can be performed after assembly:

Morserino 1st Test after Assembly

Goal: check to see if the following components seem to be working:
  • Display
  • Encoder rotating function
  • Encoder switch
  • Touch paddles
  • RED button
  • Line Input / Output
  • Optocoupler to key transmitters / Transceivers

Optional:
  • External Paddle
  • External straight key
  • Battery

Not covered by this first test:
  • LoRa functionality
  • WiFi functionality

Preparation - you will need: 
  • Standard build Morserino32 with touch paddles attached
  • Audio cable with 3.5 mm 4-pole auto jacks on both ends
  • Audio cable with 3.5mm 2-pole jacks on both ends
  • Alligator clips cable (with small clips)
  • Small flat screw driver to operate the blue trimmer
  • Ohm meter
Optional:
  • External paddles with 3.5 mm jack
  • Straight key with 3-pole 3.5 mm jack
  • LiPo battery for Morserino

Test Procedure
  1. Power Up through USB (power switch in OFF position) - start up screen and menu should appear and show good readability. DISPLAY OK.
  2. Rotate BLACK knob - should bring up different menu items. Rotate in both directions. ENCODER function OK.
  3. Rotate until you see CW Keyer, & press BLACK knob quickly. Should start keyer (displayed on display). ENCODER SWITCH OK.
  4. Touch left and right paddles - one should create audible and visible (white LED) dots, the other dashes. TOUCH PADDLES OK.
  5. Optional: connect external paddles to X4 (lower left). Pressing external paddles should ahem same effect as touch paddles. EXTERNAL PADDLES OK.
  6. Press RED quickly. Should change encoder to volume control. Rotate encoder, touch paddles and see if volume changes: RED switch OK.
  7. Long press of BLACK knob (to get back into Main Menu). 
  8. Optional: connect straight key to X4, instead of paddles. Select „CW Decoder“ from main menu. Try to create some morse characters with straight key. You should hear a tone when you press the key, and the generated characters will be decoded on the display. STRAIGHT KEY OK.
  9. Plug 2-pole audio cable into X1 (1st from the top left). 
  10. Plug 4-pole audio cable into X2-IN/OUT. At the end of the cable connect tip of jack with sleeve (the innermost connector on the jack) using the alligator  clip cable. 
  11. With an Ohm meter measure the resistance between tip and sleeve of the 2-pole jack of the audio cable in X1. It should show a very high resistance (many Ohms, or even infinity).
  12. Long press of RED button, to start audio volume adjust function for line-in. You will see the white LED lighting up, and an „Audio Adjust“ indicator on the display. Now use the screwdriver and change position of trimmer. Indicator should change and allow the bar to be positioned within the outer rectangle, and outside the inner rectangle. Line I/O OK.
  13. With an ohm meter, measure the resistance between tip and sleeve of the jack on the 2-pole audio cable. It should show a value less than 100 Ohm. Optocoupler function OK.
  14. Press the RED button again to leave the Audio Adjust function.
  15. Optional: with a suitable LiPo battery attached to the Morserino, switch on the power switch (the battery should not be fully charged, but also not be completely empty). The orange LED should come up very bright, indication battery is charging. Disconnect USB, orange light will stop, but Morserino is still working. BATTERY OK.

Problem Mitigation (This should help in >95% of all cases)

Display: if the display remains dark, or shows missing lines, it is defect and the Heltec module needs to be replaced.
Encoder function: Re-solder the encoder (side with 3 pins). If persistent, re-solder Heltec sockets.
Encoder switch: Re-solder the encoder (side with 2 pins). If persistent, re-solder Heltec sockets.
Touch paddles: Missing contact; has the yellow foil on the sockets for the touch paddle been removed? If yes, re-solder Heltec sockets.
External paddles: If touch paddles are working: re-solder socket for external paddles/key (X4). If persistent, re-solder Heltec sockets.
RED switch: Re-solder the RED switch.  If persistent, re-solder Heltec sockets.
Straight key: if external paddles work OK, the straight key will work as well.
Line I/O or Optocoupler: Re-solder these connectors, and maybe blue trimmer. If persistent, the main board is defect.
Battery: Do you have a suitable LiPo battery? Check battery voltage and make sure it is between 3.4 and 3.9 volts. Perform calibration of battery management (see Appendix 1.2 of user manual). Check cable connections for battery (re-solder them). Re-solder power switch. If problem persists, the charging circuit on the Heltec board is likely defect, you need to replace the Heltec module.

Willi
OE1WKL

vince adams

Thank you, Willi. Exactly what I/we needed.
Vince KD7TWW 73

From: main@morserino.groups.io <main@morserino.groups.io> on behalf of Willi, OE1WKL via groups.io <willi@...>
Sent: Monday, October 12, 2020 4:10 AM

Here is a quick write-up of testing procedure that can be performed after assembly:

Morserino 1st Test after Assembly

Goal: check to see if the following components seem to be working:
  • Display
  • Encoder rotating function
  • Encoder switch
  • Touch paddles
  • RED button
  • Line Input / Output
  • Optocoupler to key transmitters / Transceivers

Optional:
  • External Paddle
  • External straight key
  • Battery

Not covered by this first test:
  • LoRa functionality
  • WiFi functionality

Preparation - you will need: 
  • Standard build Morserino32 with touch paddles attached
  • Audio cable with 3.5 mm 4-pole auto jacks on both ends
  • Audio cable with 3.5mm 2-pole jacks on both ends
  • Alligator clips cable (with small clips)
  • Small flat screw driver to operate the blue trimmer
  • Ohm meter
Optional:
  • External paddles with 3.5 mm jack
  • Straight key with 3-pole 3.5 mm jack
  • LiPo battery for Morserino

Test Procedure
  1. Power Up through USB (power switch in OFF position) - start up screen and menu should appear and show good readability. DISPLAY OK.
  2. Rotate BLACK knob - should bring up different menu items. Rotate in both directions. ENCODER function OK.
  3. Rotate until you see CW Keyer, & press BLACK knob quickly. Should start keyer (displayed on display). ENCODER SWITCH OK.
  4. Touch left and right paddles - one should create audible and visible (white LED) dots, the other dashes. TOUCH PADDLES OK.
  5. Optional: connect external paddles to X4 (lower left). Pressing external paddles should ahem same effect as touch paddles. EXTERNAL PADDLES OK.
  6. Press RED quickly. Should change encoder to volume control. Rotate encoder, touch paddles and see if volume changes: RED switch OK.
  7. Long press of BLACK knob (to get back into Main Menu). 
  8. Optional: connect straight key to X4, instead of paddles. Select „CW Decoder“ from main menu. Try to create some morse characters with straight key. You should hear a tone when you press the key, and the generated characters will be decoded on the display. STRAIGHT KEY OK.
  9. Plug 2-pole audio cable into X1 (1st from the top left). 
  10. Plug 4-pole audio cable into X2-IN/OUT. At the end of the cable connect tip of jack with sleeve (the innermost connector on the jack) using the alligator  clip cable. 
  11. With an Ohm meter measure the resistance between tip and sleeve of the 2-pole jack of the audio cable in X1. It should show a very high resistance (many Ohms, or even infinity).
  12. Long press of RED button, to start audio volume adjust function for line-in. You will see the white LED lighting up, and an „Audio Adjust“ indicator on the display. Now use the screwdriver and change position of trimmer. Indicator should change and allow the bar to be positioned within the outer rectangle, and outside the inner rectangle. Line I/O OK.
  13. With an ohm meter, measure the resistance between tip and sleeve of the jack on the 2-pole audio cable. It should show a value less than 100 Ohm. Optocoupler function OK.
  14. Press the RED button again to leave the Audio Adjust function.
  15. Optional: with a suitable LiPo battery attached to the Morserino, switch on the power switch (the battery should not be fully charged, but also not be completely empty). The orange LED should come up very bright, indication battery is charging. Disconnect USB, orange light will stop, but Morserino is still working. BATTERY OK.

Problem Mitigation (This should help in >95% of all cases)

Display: if the display remains dark, or shows missing lines, it is defect and the Heltec module needs to be replaced.
Encoder function: Re-solder the encoder (side with 3 pins). If persistent, re-solder Heltec sockets.
Encoder switch: Re-solder the encoder (side with 2 pins). If persistent, re-solder Heltec sockets.
Touch paddles: Missing contact; has the yellow foil on the sockets for the touch paddle been removed? If yes, re-solder Heltec sockets.
External paddles: If touch paddles are working: re-solder socket for external paddles/key (X4). If persistent, re-solder Heltec sockets.
RED switch: Re-solder the RED switch.  If persistent, re-solder Heltec sockets.
Straight key: if external paddles work OK, the straight key will work as well.
Line I/O or Optocoupler: Re-solder these connectors, and maybe blue trimmer. If persistent, the main board is defect.
Battery: Do you have a suitable LiPo battery? Check battery voltage and make sure it is between 3.4 and 3.9 volts. Perform calibration of battery management (see Appendix 1.2 of user manual). Check cable connections for battery (re-solder them). Re-solder power switch. If problem persists, the charging circuit on the Heltec board is likely defect, you need to replace the Heltec module.

Willi
OE1WKL