Topics

#issues #morserino the Heltec connector #morserino #issues

Syd

Engineers who design surface mount connectors ought to be sent back to school! They certainly have no mechanical engineering aptitude. 

There is a JST plug that is supposed to be plugged into the Heltec module. I tried to plug this into the module with my fingers. No way. Looked at the pins to make sure there were no alignment problems, none at all! Tried using a screw driver to push it in. Got half way in. I tried a little more and then the SMD plug snapped at one pad!

Sidebar: I have a wireless keyboard that powers up via a USB SMD connector. It went dead after 6 months. Looked inside and found the SMD USB port fell off. Checked online and found a huge number of consumers with the same problem, broken in 3 - 6 months! USB SMD connectors suck. SMD is not meant to be used where mechanical stresses are involved.

I guess EEs have no concept of mechanical stress (that's an MEs job) , certainly not when it comes to surface mount devices!  Surface mount devices were never intended to be used in areas of mechanical stress.  This is a major design flaw!!!  Better off soldering the battery onto the PCB, no stress and it's hard to screw up!!

As it stands now I have tried to solder in the broken mount, but am not sure if I created a short.  Time will tell.  I've done a lot of soldering in my career, but have never had to work with SMD and their soldering techniques and equipment.

Yeah I saw the warning about this issue, but no one mentioned that the connector could be so tough to connect.  Most connectors I have experience with are simply push a little and the job is done. Not so with this  ##### connector!

I'm not happy. A major component might be useless, so the whole kit would be junk!

Willi, OE1WKL

Syd,

I am sorry for the mishap, and do hope that soldering teh connector back on was successful. The test described in teh manual measuring the input resistance of teh battery connector with an Ohmmeter should reveal a short quickly.
I agree that items that have to endure mechanical stress should not be connected as SMD, but this seems to be the usual method now (saw that many times with USB connectors, all eventually failing because of repeated stress). That was one of the reasons that I am using through the hole parts for the encoder and push button in the Morserino kit (although soldering those can also be a challenge for less experienced builders).

Should your attempt to correct the problem fail, please send me an email (to info@...) and I will see that your kit will not become a useless pile of junk…. ;-)

Willi
OE1WKL

Am 23.06.2020 um 20:16 schrieb Syd via groups.io <nhuq1@...>:

Engineers who design surface mount connectors ought to be sent back to school! They certainly have no mechanical engineering aptitude. 

There is a JST plug that is supposed to be plugged into the Heltec module. I tried to plug this into the module with my fingers. No way. Looked at the pins to make sure there were no alignment problems, none at all! Tried using a screw driver to push it in. Got half way in. I tried a little more and then the SMD plug snapped at one pad!

Sidebar: I have a wireless keyboard that powers up via a USB SMD connector. It went dead after 6 months. Looked inside and found the SMD USB port fell off. Checked online and found a huge number of consumers with the same problem, broken in 3 - 6 months! USB SMD connectors suck. SMD is not meant to be used where mechanical stresses are involved.

I guess EEs have no concept of mechanical stress (that's an MEs job) , certainly not when it comes to surface mount devices!  Surface mount devices were never intended to be used in areas of mechanical stress.  This is a major design flaw!!!  Better off soldering the battery onto the PCB, no stress and it's hard to screw up!!

As it stands now I have tried to solder in the broken mount, but am not sure if I created a short.  Time will tell.  I've done a lot of soldering in my career, but have never had to work with SMD and their soldering techniques and equipment.

Yeah I saw the warning about this issue, but no one mentioned that the connector could be so tough to connect.  Most connectors I have experience with are simply push a little and the job is done. Not so with this  ##### connector!

I'm not happy. A major component might be useless, so the whole kit would be junk!