Topics

Issues with getting started

George Anderson

Good morning all..

I am having issues getting my m32 going and may have deleted something in error.

Can someone advise is there a safety or reboot process that will restore to what it was before I built the kit ?

All appears ok except I am unable to play out anything or see anything including echo trainer etc ??

I could rebuild again .. would tat be a help?? Hopefully not
I'm hopefully that it's an easy fix 

Thanks so much

George 

John, M0STQ

George,
    can we start with what it CAN do, and find the point where further functions don’t work?

The simplest thing is probably CW Keyer. If you go to CW Keyer mode, click the Black button to start it going, and then bash around on the paddles, do you get any sound?

If you short-press the red button, does it toggle between sound volume and keyer speed? Can you change the volume and/or speed by turning the black button?

If it can do just these things, then we can be confident that 95%+ of the build must have worked.

Let us know, please. Then we’ll know where we are for further tests.

Best regards,

John, M0STQ

On 15 Sep 2020, at 01:33, George Anderson <george.gm0syu@...> wrote:

Good morning all..

I am having issues getting my m32 going and may have deleted something in error.

Can someone advise is there a safety or reboot process that will restore to what it was before I built the kit ?

All appears ok except I am unable to play out anything or see anything including echo trainer etc ??

Thanks so much

George 

George Anderson

Hi John..

Basically I can get sound, but only intermittent when able to adjust on the key setup.

When i go into echo trainer, I get as far as the message that says start with paddles or black knob but no further.. the blue status bar at top showing .. but no sound or displayed text.. no text at all

Hope that helps

George

On Tue, 15 Sep 2020, 08:40 John, M0STQ via groups.io, <firegazer=me.com@groups.io> wrote:
George,
    can we start with what it CAN do, and find the point where further functions don’t work?

The simplest thing is probably CW Keyer. If you go to CW Keyer mode, click the Black button to start it going, and then bash around on the paddles, do you get any sound?

If you short-press the red button, does it toggle between sound volume and keyer speed? Can you change the volume and/or speed by turning the black button?

If it can do just these things, then we can be confident that 95%+ of the build must have worked.

Best regards,

John, M0STQ

Good morning all..

Thanks so much

George 

John, M0STQ

George,
   I’m afraid I don’t quite understand, still. Sorry to be slow.

Please forget about Echo trainer just for now. Let’s be sure that the black and red buttons work and the speaker works and the paddles work. We can test these just using “CW Keyer”.

If you rotate the black button until you see "CW Keyer”, press the black button to select that mode, then touch one or both paddles, do you hear a series of dits and dahs?

If you can’t see “CW Keyer” as an option, then press the black button for a second or two to go back up a level of menu, then rotate it to get to CW Keyer.

Give it a go, and let us know the result.

Best regards,

John, M0STQ

On 15 Sep 2020, at 14:49, George Anderson <george.gm0syu@...> wrote:

Hi John..

Basically I can get sound, but only intermittent when able to adjust on the key setup.

When i go into echo trainer, I get as far as the message that says start with paddles or black knob but no further.. the blue status bar at top showing .. but no sound or displayed text.. no text at all

Hope that helps

George

On Tue, 15 Sep 2020, 08:40 John, M0STQ via groups.io, <firegazer=me.com@groups.io> wrote:
George,

Best regards,

John, M0STQ

Good morning all..

Thanks so much

George 

George Anderson

Hi John.. thanks for patience...

At this time I can confirm that I am in cw keyer .. I am getting " dah " continuous .. speaker working .. if I touch left paddle it adds a ' dit "

George 

On Tue, 15 Sep 2020, 15:05 John, M0STQ via groups.io, <firegazer=me.com@groups.io> wrote:
George,

Please forget about Echo trainer just for now. Let’s be sure that the black and red buttons work and the speaker works and the paddles work. We can test these just using “CW Keyer”.

If you rotate the black button until you see "CW Keyer”, press the black button to select that mode, then touch one or both paddles, do you hear a series of dits and dahs?

If you can’t see “CW Keyer” as an option, then press the black button for a second or two to go back up a level of menu, then rotate it to get to CW Keyer.

Best regards,

John, M0STQ

Hi John..

Hope that helps

George

George,

Best regards,

John, M0STQ

Good morning all..

Thanks so much

George 

John, M0STQ

Groovy.

Can you adjust the keying speed, using the black knob, and use the red button the change to volume mode, and then adjust the volume with the black knob, then back to speed mode with the red button?

If you just use one paddle at a time, can you make basic characters appear on the screen? E E E E I I I I S S S S H H H H T T T T M M M M O O O O etc?

When you’ve filled the screen up with letters that have been ’sent’, can you long-press the red button and go to scroll mode, and use the black button to scroll the screen up and down, before long-pressing the red button back to speed/vol mode?

John, M0STQ

On 15 Sep 2020, at 15:14, George Anderson <george.gm0syu@...> wrote:

At this time I can confirm that I am in cw keyer .. I am getting " dah " continuous .. speaker working .. if I touch left paddle it adds a ' dit "

George 

On Tue, 15 Sep 2020, 15:05 John, M0STQ via groups.io, <firegazer=me.com@groups.io> wrote:
George,

Best regards,

John, M0STQ

Hi John..

Hope that helps

George

George,

Best regards,

John, M0STQ

Good morning all..

Thanks so much

George 

George Anderson

I can adjust speed and volume.
I am continuing to get a repeating " day " unable to key any letters and no screen responce john

On Tue, 15 Sep 2020, 15:20 John, M0STQ via groups.io, <firegazer=me.com@groups.io> wrote:
Groovy.

Can you adjust the keying speed, using the black knob, and use the red button the change to volume mode, and then adjust the volume with the black knob, then back to speed mode with the red button?

If you just use one paddle at a time, can you make basic characters appear on the screen? E E E E I I I I S S S S H H H H T T T T M M M M O O O O etc?

When you’ve filled the screen up with letters that have been ’sent’, can you long-press the red button and go to scroll mode, and use the black button to scroll the screen up and down, before long-pressing the red button back to speed/vol mode?

John, M0STQ

George 

George,

Best regards,

John, M0STQ

Hi John..

Hope that helps

George

George,

Best regards,

John, M0STQ

Good morning all..

Thanks so much

George 

John, M0STQ

OK, good. We’ve found the ‘edge’ of good and bad, so we can probe it a bit more.

I’m guessing you are competent with the paddles, normally? I mean it isn’t your first time forming Morse characters with paddles?

If not, then we should make sure you’re forming sensible characters. If you keep one paddle touched for a long time, then the resulting pattern won’t be seen as a valid Morse character, and only "<err>" (8 or more dits) or “*” (lots of dahs) will appear on the screen. Try sending lots of E chars: just touch the left paddle for a short time to get one ‘dit', wait a bit, do it again. Do you get E chars on the screen?

If you’re already good with Morse, then do you have any hardware paddles you can use? If you plug them into the front stereo socket, and retry the char-sending tests, we can see if the problem only happens with the touch paddles.

Best regards,

John, M0STQ

On 15 Sep 2020, at 15:26, George Anderson <george.gm0syu@...> wrote:

I am continuing to get a repeating " day " unable to key any letters and no screen responce john

On Tue, 15 Sep 2020, 15:20 John, M0STQ via groups.io, <firegazer=me.com@groups.io> wrote:
Groovy.

John, M0STQ

George 

George,

Best regards,

John, M0STQ

Hi John..

Hope that helps

George

George,

Best regards,

John, M0STQ

Good morning all..

Thanks so much

George 

George Anderson

Yes I'm ok with forming letters and things lol

The issue I'm having is even with a key in I'm getting the .  Dah dah dah.. repeating ..

I've also noticed there is a jumper connection .. I have not connected anything to that .. could that he an issue ?

On Tue, 15 Sep 2020, 15:43 John, M0STQ via groups.io, <firegazer=me.com@groups.io> wrote:
OK, good. We’ve found the ‘edge’ of good and bad, so we can probe it a bit more.

I’m guessing you are competent with the paddles, normally? I mean it isn’t your first time forming Morse characters with paddles?

If not, then we should make sure you’re forming sensible characters. If you keep one paddle touched for a long time, then the resulting pattern won’t be seen as a valid Morse character, and only "<err>" (8 or more dits) or “*” (lots of dahs) will appear on the screen. Try sending lots of E chars: just touch the left paddle for a short time to get one ‘dit', wait a bit, do it again. Do you get E chars on the screen?

If you’re already good with Morse, then do you have any hardware paddles you can use? If you plug them into the front stereo socket, and retry the char-sending tests, we can see if the problem only happens with the touch paddles.

Best regards,

John, M0STQ

Groovy.

John, M0STQ

George 

George,

Best regards,

John, M0STQ

Hi John..

Hope that helps

George

George,

Best regards,

John, M0STQ

Good morning all..

Thanks so much

George 

John, M0STQ

OK. Apologies for the daft question.

So, when you plug in your own paddles, adjusted so they are normally both open, and you don’t press either of them, you’re still getting the equivalent of pressing the Dah paddle (continuous dahs). Correct?

This happens with both the capacitive touch paddles AND an external set of paddles. Correct?

I don’t think I ever had to do anything to any jumper (although it’s hard to see, now my M-32 is in a case. What jumper is this?

Best regards,

John, M0STQ

On 15 Sep 2020, at 15:51, George Anderson <george.gm0syu@...> wrote:

The issue I'm having is even with a key in I'm getting the .  Dah dah dah.. repeating ..

I've also noticed there is a jumper connection .. I have not connected anything to that .. could that he an issue ?

On Tue, 15 Sep 2020, 15:43 John, M0STQ via groups.io, <firegazer=me.com@groups.io> wrote:

Best regards,

John, M0STQ

Groovy.

John, M0STQ

George 

George,

Best regards,

John, M0STQ

Hi John..

Hope that helps

George

George,

Best regards,

John, M0STQ

Good morning all..

Thanks so much

George 

George Anderson

Yes john.. the constant dah repeating is happening on both .. cap paddles and my own key.

Jumper thing is just on bottom left corner .. as pcb untouched

On Tue, 15 Sep 2020, 16:02 John, M0STQ via groups.io, <firegazer=me.com@groups.io> wrote:

So, when you plug in your own paddles, adjusted so they are normally both open, and you don’t press either of them, you’re still getting the equivalent of pressing the Dah paddle (continuous dahs). Correct?

This happens with both the capacitive touch paddles AND an external set of paddles. Correct?

I don’t think I ever had to do anything to any jumper (although it’s hard to see, now my M-32 is in a case. What jumper is this?

Best regards,

John, M0STQ

Best regards,

John, M0STQ

Groovy.

John, M0STQ

George 

George,

Best regards,

John, M0STQ

Hi John..

Hope that helps

George

George,

Best regards,

John, M0STQ

Good morning all..

Thanks so much

George 

Willi, OE1WKL

This seems to indicate a short somewhere... check at the paddles connector, and all Heltec socket pads...

Willi

Von meinem Mobiltelefon gesendet

Am 15.09.2020 um 17:06 schrieb George Anderson <george.gm0syu@...>:

Yes john.. the constant dah repeating is happening on both .. cap paddles and my own key.

On Tue, 15 Sep 2020, 16:02 John, M0STQ via groups.io, <firegazer=me.com@groups.io> wrote:

Best regards,

John, M0STQ

Best regards,

John, M0STQ

Groovy.

John, M0STQ

George 

George,

Best regards,

John, M0STQ

Hi John..

Hope that helps

George

George,

Best regards,

John, M0STQ

Good morning all..

Thanks so much

George 

George Anderson

Hi Willi ..
I think I'm ok now. 
Ive had some help with John..
All appears to be ok .. my limited kit build experience showing lol.

Thank you very much 

George GM0SYU 

On Tue, 15 Sep 2020, 16:32 Willi, OE1WKL, <willi@...> wrote:
This seems to indicate a short somewhere... check at the paddles connector, and all Heltec socket pads...

Willi

Von meinem Mobiltelefon gesendet

Am 15.09.2020 um 17:06 schrieb George Anderson <george.gm0syu@...>:

Best regards,

John, M0STQ

Best regards,

John, M0STQ

Groovy.

John, M0STQ

George 

George,

Best regards,

John, M0STQ

Hi John..

Hope that helps

George

George,

Best regards,

John, M0STQ

Good morning all..

Thanks so much

George