Topics

June 30 shipments

Tony W3FLH

Hello everyone,

I was part of the June 30 shipments, and am anxiously awaiting the arrival of my M32.  Just curious if anyone else from that shipment date has received their kit yet?  (FYI, I'm located in the suburbs of Philadelphia, PA)

Tony W3FLH

Tony W3FLH

Edited

Good vibes, I guess: My M32 just arrived!!  Hopefully that means the rest of the 6/30 batch will be arriving to the other builders-in-waiting shortly...

I can't wait to dig into the kit and get it built - I've got the battery suggested by Syd on the way - and I'll post again once I have it together.

And a big Thank You to Willi OE1WKL - top-notch service and support!

Tony W3FLH

On Fri, Jul 17, 2020 at 10:34 AM, Tony W3FLH wrote:
Hello everyone,

I was part of the June 30 shipments, and am anxiously awaiting the arrival of my M32.  Just curious if anyone else from that shipment date has received their kit yet?  (FYI, I'm located in the suburbs of Philadelphia, PA)

Tony W3FLH

Tommy2

Great News!

Think I’ll walk down to the mail box - maybe mine is there too.  Have a problem though - while soldering another kit this morning the old iron went cold - gee whizz.

Any suggestions on a good one to order from amazon.com are appreciated - main requirement is that it will be in tomorrow's delivery truck.

Tommy

On Jul 17, 2020, at 1:02 PM, Tony W3FLH <w3flh@...> wrote:

[Edited Message Follows]

Good vibes, I guess: My M32 just arrived!!  Hopefully that means the rest of the 6/30 batch will be arriving to the other builders-in-waiting shortly...

I can't wait to dig into the kit and get it built - I've got the battery suggested by Syd on the way - and I'll post again once I have it together.

And a big Thank You to Willi OE1WKL - top-notch service and support!

Tony W3FLH

On Fri, Jul 17, 2020 at 10:34 AM, Tony W3FLH wrote:
Hello everyone,

I was part of the June 30 shipments, and am anxiously awaiting the arrival of my M32.  Just curious if anyone else from that shipment date has received their kit yet?  (FYI, I'm located in the suburbs of Philadelphia, PA)

Tony W3FLH

Tony W3FLH

Tommy,

I have a Hakko 936 station, and I really like it.  Don't think you could go wrong with either Hakko or Weller, but I'd definitely recommend one with a temp control.

Hope you get a nice surprise when you get to the mailbox!

Tony W3FLH

Gwen Patton

Just an FYI...the iron I got from Banggood is this one:  https://www.banggood.com/MUSTOOL-MT883-80W-Electric-Solder-Iron-Station-Adjustable-Temperature-180-480392-896-Auto-Sleeping-110V220V-EUUSUK-Plug-Option-p-1553736.html?rmmds=myorder&ID=523698&cur_warehouse=USA

It's decent for the price, but not made of platinum. It's a cheap temp-controlled iron. It isn't fancy but it works. The only problem is that like most stuff from China, it arrives on a slow boat so it's not something you can get overnight in any case.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
73,
Gwen, NG3P

On Fri, Jul 17, 2020 at 5:36 PM Gwen Patton <ardrhi@...> wrote:
Tommy,

I have a TS-100 mini-iron with an ILS tip. It does 95% of my soldering without a single problem. The last 5% is split between a temp-controlled mains power iron I got on Banggood for $12, and a Dremel butane soldering iron/torch I got on Amazon for outdoor projects and heavy stuff like connectors. So long as you run the TS-100 with a decent power supply, something 19-20V is really good for this, it can handle lots of stuff easily. And you can probably find one that can be overnighted to you, though you'll have to pay the expedited shipping in most cases.

The ILS tip is an extra tip you can order for it that's VERY long, with a semi-wedge tip. It's not the typical conical iron. It has a small flat bottom part to the end of the tip that's conical on top, so you get good contact with a PCB pad.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
73,
Gwen, NG3P

On Fri, Jul 17, 2020 at 4:37 PM Tony W3FLH <w3flh@...> wrote:
[...]

Victor Denisov

I can recommend XYtronic 258. A small, but very good soldering iron
with temperature control.

Victor.

On Fri, Jul 17, 2020 at 5:36 PM Gwen Patton <@NG3P> wrote:

[...]

Thank you Victor, that is the type of simple soldering iron I would like to buy.  Will spend some time reading the reviews on the plethora of them on Amazon.  My personal requirements, besides being small are that it work well with lead free solder, be able to attach components to large PC boards lands and get here in a couple days.  Lacking any of those four is a killer, Tommy

On Fri, Jul 17, 2020 at 3:42 PM Gwen Patton <ardrhi@...> wrote:

[...]

Eike Lantzsch

On Saturday, 18 July 2020 09:06:24 -04 Tommy2 via groups.io wrote:
Thank you Victor, that is the type of simple soldering iron I would
like to buy. Will spend some time reading the reviews on the
plethora of them on Amazon. My personal requirements, besides being
small are that it work well with lead free solder, be able to attach
components to large PC boards lands and get here in a couple days.
Lacking any of those four is a killer, Tommy
Before you decide on leadfree soldering you might want to look at the
soldering recommendations in the morserino-manual.
Do yourself a favour and order different tips for leadfree and leaded
solder. Don't ever mix them. I for one find it easier on myself to have
different soldering irons for leaded and leadfree soldering.
Also get yourself a flux pen and some brass wool. The latter especially
if you decide to do leadfree soldering.
https://blog.sra-solder.com/knowledge-base/soldering-iron-tip-maintenance-guide

<denisovenator@...> wrote:

I can recommend XYtronic 258. A small, but very good soldering iron
with temperature control.

Victor.

Bob DeHaney

Also Lead Free Solder is a pain to re-work. And due to reliability issues, Lead Solder is specified in all military and aerospace applications.

Vy 73 de Bob DJ0RD/WU5T

<denisovenator@...> wrote:

I can recommend XYtronic 258. A small, but very good soldering iron
with temperature control.

Victor.

Tommy2

Thanks!

These last two replies to my query are exactly why this is such a great forum.  I don’t have a preference on the type solder, just thought the lead free was the “new” wave.  I will forget it!  I will certainly read my morserino manual whenever it gets here.  Read others ordering during the same timeframe have theirs.  Probably look into the mailbox several times today as was done yesterday...

On Saturday, 18 July 2020 11:33:13 -04 Tommy2 via groups.io wrote:
Thanks!

These last two replies to my query are exactly why this is such a
great forum. I don’t have a preference on the type solder, just
thought the lead free was the “new” wave. I will forget it! I will
certainly read my morserino manual whenever it gets here.
Just download it and read beforehand ;-)

Read
others ordering during the same timeframe have theirs. Probably look
into the mailbox several times today as was done yesterday...
On Jul 18, 2020, at 9:42 AM, Bob DeHaney <bobdehaney@...> wrote:

Also Lead Free Solder is a pain to re-work. And due to reliability
issues, Lead Solder is specified in all military and aerospace
applications.

Vy 73 de Bob DJ0RD/WU5T

Mike Stone

I buy solder with lead for electrical soldering and also plumbing whenever I can find it.  Working with lead-free solder is like brazing without flux.  I have found inexpensive lead/tin rosin core solder at flea markets and yard sales.
Mike, N1VE

Eike Lantzsch

On Saturday, 18 July 2020 17:11:24 -04 Mike Stone wrote:
I buy solder with lead for electrical soldering and also plumbing
whenever I can find it. Working with lead-free solder is like
brazing without flux. I have found inexpensive lead/tin rosin core
solder at flea markets and yard sales. Mike, N1VE
only be sure to buy multicore resin ... also use 0.5mm or even thinner
and also have 1mm handy for larger pads

--
Eike Lantzsch ZP6CGE