Topics

June 30 shipments [getting slightly OT]

Eike Lantzsch

On Saturday, 18 July 2020 17:47:43 -04 Eike Lantzsch wrote:
On Saturday, 18 July 2020 17:11:24 -04 Mike Stone wrote:
I buy solder with lead for electrical soldering and also plumbing
whenever I can find it. Working with lead-free solder is like
brazing without flux. I have found inexpensive lead/tin rosin core
solder at flea markets and yard sales. Mike, N1VE
only be sure to buy multicore resin ... also use 0.5mm or even thinner
and also have 1mm handy for larger pads
I meant rosin.

Sn63Pb37 is eutectic and has a melting point of 183-190°C
The SAC leadfrees are also eutectic alloys -->
Sn95.6Ag3.5Cu0.9 and has a melting point of 217°C
Sn96.5Ag3.5 221°C
Sn99.1Cu0.9 227°C

One can easily see why soldering with leaded solder is easier and good
enough for hobbyists.
Using leaded solder on RoHS boards usually seems to be quite OK but
stricktly it is not advised. There are longterm problems about to
develop.
If one is doing lots of work on antique equipment and also on new stuff
it is best to keep one soldering iron (or workstation) for leadfree and
another one for leaded soldering.
I'm having a WE1010 for leadfree and an old Weller Magnastat 50W for
leaded solder.
The latter I used for assembling the morserino according to Willi's
recommendation which is found in the manual.

Mind you: rosin vapors are slightly toxic and lead is very toxic. Have
always good ventilation and wash your hands often.
Hey, that's the same counsel as for Covid-19

Happy soldering!
--
Eike Lantzsch ZP6CGE