Topics

LoRa antenna

Ellis w1egb

Is it ok to leave the LoRa antenna off if I'm not using it?  Also can I add an antenna for WiFi? - Thanks

N4BQQ@yahoo.com

Ellis,
I put a 50 ohm dummy load for an antenna analyzer from eBay or Amazon on the antenna port just for safety's sake.  Looks good, too.

On Wed, Aug 12, 2020 at 18:52, Ellis w1egb
<w1egbmail@...> wrote:
Is it ok to leave the LoRa antenna off if I'm not using it?  Also can I add an antenna for WiFi? - Thanks

RACHAEL SANDERS

Hi Ellis
The Wi-fi antenna is the small copper coil by the screen.
The rubber duck antenna is for LoRa and can be removed if only using Wi-fi, but be sure to refit if intending or ‘accidentally’ using LoRa. Mine’s removed all the time!
73
Rachael M1AYG

On 13 Aug 2020, at 00:58, N4BQQ@... via groups.io <N4BQQ@...> wrote:

Ellis,
I put a 50 ohm dummy load for an antenna analyzer from eBay or Amazon on the antenna port just for safety's sake.  Looks good, too.
Mike N4BQQ

<w1egbmail@...> wrote:
Is it ok to leave the LoRa antenna off if I'm not using it?  Also can I add an antenna for WiFi? - Thanks

Ellis w1egb

Edited

Good idea. To N4BQQ@...

Ellis w1egb

Edited

I meant replace the WiFi antenna. Thanks for catching that, Rachael.

Joe K9SZ

Hi Mike,

I like your idea of using a dummy load for safety. Would you mind providing a description or link to the one you purchased? I wasn’t sure of the connector required.

73
Joe

On Aug 12, 2020, at 6:57 PM, N4BQQ@... via groups.io <N4BQQ=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Ellis,
I put a 50 ohm dummy load for an antenna analyzer from eBay or Amazon on the antenna port just for safety's sake. Looks good, too.
Mike N4BQQ

Sent from AT&T Yahoo Mail on Android

<w1egbmail@...> wrote:
Is it ok to leave the LoRa antenna off if I'm not using it? Also can I add an antenna for WiFi? - Thanks

Willi, OE1WKL

Most of the time I also have a dummy load on my Morserinos instead of the antenna... within a room you would not even know the difference... dummy load is an antenna (not a very good one, though, but good enough for short range communication).

<w1egbmail@...> wrote:
Is it ok to leave the LoRa antenna off if I'm not using it?  Also can I add an antenna for WiFi? - Thanks

N4BQQ@yahoo.com

Joe,
Just an example:

https://www.amazon.com/Amphenol-Connex-132360-Terminators-RESISTOR/dp/B0719C1T99/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=50+ohm+sma+terminator&qid=1597335627&sprefix=50+ohm+sma&sr=8-4

Mike N4BQQ

<w1egbmail@...> wrote:
Is it ok to leave the LoRa antenna off if I'm not using it?  Also can I add an antenna for WiFi? - Thanks

Joe K9SZ

Thanks Mike and Chuck! These are perfect