Topics

Morserino-32, fw ver 1.4, will not update the firmware #morserino

Christopher J. Shaker, KJ7BLE

Edited

I assembled my Morserino-32, fw ver 1/4 this evening, and it is working. It decodes my morse input from the built in paddles,

and from my external wired paddle. Cool!

However, I'm attempting to update the firmware from my Windows 10 desktop, and am not succeeding.

I have the Morserino on my wifi. I log into the Morserino web site, using 'm32' and 'update'. I browse to the firmware file,

morse_3_v2.1.ino.wifi_lora_32.bin, and I click on 'Begin', and it IMMEDIATELY changes from "Progress 0%" to "Progress 100%",
and the Morserino stays waiting for the upload. I've tried restarting the upload several times, and it just seems to hang. I've tried

using Firefox, Chrome, and Microsoft Edge.

I WAS able to upload a text file successfully, using Firefox, with "m32" and "upload".

What am I doing wrong?

Chris Shaker

Dave

Hi Chris,
One thing you may want to try is being as close to your wireless router as possible. I had to sit next to my router to get a successful update.
73,

KC3GPM

Sent using Zoho Mail

---- On Mon, 16 Dec 2019 05:48:17 -0500 Christopher J. Shaker, KJ7BLE<cjshaker@...> wrote ----

I assembled my Morserino-32 fw ver 1/4 this evening, and it is working. It decodes my morse input from the built in paddles,

and from my external wired paddle. Cool!

However, I'm attempting to update the firmware, and am not succeeding.

I have the Morserino on my wifi. I log into the Morerino web site, using 'm32' and 'update'. I browse to the firmware file,

morse_3_v2.1.ino.wifi_lora_32.bin, and I click on 'Begin', and it IMMEDIATELY changes from "Progress 0%" to "Progress 100%",
and the Morserino stays waiting for the upload. I've tried restarting the upload several times, and it never acts differently

What am I doing wrong?

Chris Shaker

Christopher J. Shaker, KJ7BLE

I used this video to get a clue about how to do the firmware update...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msL1yazDSi8

arnold@...

Hi!
I found out that the distance should not be too close to the router. The Morserino can not handle too high WiFi fields. So just try to move the Morserino around.
-AH-

Willi, OE1WKL

What is the size of your .bin file? Should be close to 1 MB.... If not, there was as problem with the download of the bin file...

Am 16.12.2019 um 11:48 schrieb Christopher J. Shaker, KJ7BLE <cjshaker@...>:

I assembled my Morserino-32 fw ver 1/4 this evening, and it is working. It decodes my morse input from the built in paddles,

and from my external wired paddle. Cool!

However, I'm attempting to update the firmware, and am not succeeding.

I have the Morserino on my wifi. I log into the Morerino web site, using 'm32' and 'update'. I browse to the firmware file,

morse_3_v2.1.ino.wifi_lora_32.bin, and I click on 'Begin', and it IMMEDIATELY changes from "Progress 0%" to "Progress 100%",
and the Morserino stays waiting for the upload. I've tried restarting the upload several times, and it never acts differently

What am I doing wrong?

Chris Shaker

Christopher J. Shaker, KJ7BLE

Thank you for the suggestion.

I'm going to try doing it with a slower computer. I still have a Thinkpad running Win95. Maybe that will work?

Chris Shaker

On 12/16/2019 3:03 AM, Dave via Groups.Io wrote:
[...]

If that's the cause, then I am in trouble, because I've got Google WiFi mesh spread all over the house.
Results in high performance WiFi.

Chris Shaker

On 12/16/2019 3:08 AM, arnold@... wrote:
Hi!
I found out that the distance should not be too close to the router. The Morserino can not handle too high WiFi fields. So just try to move the Morserino around.
-AH-

Christopher J. Shaker, KJ7BLE

Willi:

Yes, it is 907 KB for both versions 2.0 and 2.1

I tried downloading the files using both Firefox and Microsoft Edge. Same results.

Chris

On 12/16/2019 4:00 AM, Willi, OE1WKL wrote:
[...]

I got my Morserino updated to version 2.1, but I do not know which attempt to update the firmware
actually succeeded. As far as I could tell, all attempts to update the firmware had all failed.

I tried updating the firmware with my old Windows XP machine, using Firefox, and it got 85% done updating before appearing to hang. Another attempt, it appeared to hang at 14% done, but I let it sit there for a half hour or so. I also then attempted to update the firmware from my Windows 10 desktop. It did the same instant switch from 0% done to 100% done as on my Win 10 desktop. Then, at some point, the Morserino stopped responding to its web interface. I went and looked at it, and it had rebooted and was now running firmware version 2.1

Chris Shaker
KJ7BLE

On 12/16/2019 12:14 PM, Christopher J. Shaker, KJ7BLE via Groups.Io wrote:

[...]

There is definitely something funky in the web interface on Morserino firmware 1.4.

Using Firefox on WinXP and on Win10, when I put the Morserino into firmware update mode, and log into the Morserino web page, it ALWAYS opens up a second tab, and my login becomes active on only one of the two
tabs. I've never seen anything like it.

Thank you for a neat device. I'm lucky enough to be taking a CW class starting in January, and I'm going to use
the Morserino for the class.

Thank you!
Chris Shaker
KJ7BLE

[...]

I tried unplugging all of the Google WiFi mesh routers, except for the main router, and then the Morserino did not get a strong enough WiFi signal.

When I got it to update successfully, I had tried the opposite theory, and put the Morserino on the metal freezer top, near the main Google WiFi router.

Chris

martin.kuehnl@...

Same with me; i updated to version 2.2 yesterday and today i can do whatever i try and nothing happens with my efforts to update to 2.3. getting the immediate 100% info and nothing happens. 73 martin

Willi, OE1WKL

Has the file the correct size?

Am 25.01.2020 um 18:40 schrieb martin.kuehnl@...:

Same with me; i updated to version 2.2 yesterday and today i can do whatever i try and nothing happens with my efforts to update to 2.3. getting the immediate 100% info and nothing happens. 73 martin

N4BQQ@yahoo.com

I had the same problem.   You must select the .bin file and then on the next page select the little download button to download that file.
Mike N4BQQ