Topics

Morserino COM port assistance

Gary

Hello, I’m trying to use CW Trainer and the Phrases trainer.I’ve plugged my Morserino into my Windows 10 laptop via USB. In device manager I cannot see the COM ports even when I show hidden items.  The Morserino is listed under Other Devices and shows as ‘CP2102 USB to UART Bridge Controller’.It has no driver and cannot find a suitable driver.  What am I doing wrong?  Many thanks, Gary.

Joe Wittmer K9SZ

Hi Gary,

Craig N1SFT posted this link for the drivers which is required for macOS which is what I’m using.

https://www.silabs.com/products/development-tools/software/usb-to-uart-bridge-vcp-drivers

Under the Windows 10 Universal section on that page, it says that the drivers are part of Windows Update though. So, I am not sure why your machine isn’t picking them up but you could try the download.

Joe

On Feb 10, 2020, at 2:53 PM, Gary <gary@...> wrote:

Hello, I’m trying to use CW Trainer and the Phrases trainer.I’ve plugged my Morserino into my Windows 10 laptop via USB. In device manager I cannot see the COM ports even when I show hidden items. The Morserino is listed under Other Devices and shows as ‘CP2102 USB to UART Bridge Controller’.It has no driver and cannot find a suitable driver. What am I doing wrong? Many thanks, Gary.

Bruce Roberts

Edited

Hi Gary. I don't know if this will work for you, but it works fine for me when connecting to applications like Phrase and Cw Trainer. I used an ftdi USB cable which makes a bridge on com port number 12 in my case. Then I use VSPE   Virtual Serial Port Emulation
and make a split port with com port 12 and  com port 1 in my case. Then I set the com port 1 in the application an everything then talks to each other. Hope the helps.
Bruce K6TTT

Craig T. Bailey

Hi Gary,

You need the driver. If Windows10 is showing it under the "Other Devices" then that means the driver it's selected is bogus.

Download the package from the location I posted earlier, and install the driver... even though they "claim" Win10 has it.

If that doesn't work, then maybe you'll need to try a more complicated approach, like how Bruce solved it.

--
_____
Craig Bailey

Mark Dallner

That sounds like the driver has not been install. For my FT-991a, I knew to download the drivers from Silicon Labs  installed them, and then connected the radio.

I would try that and see what happens.

Mark
AC9DE

On Feb 10, 2020, at 2:53 PM, Gary <gary@...> wrote:

Hello, I’m trying to use CW Trainer and the Phrases trainer.I’ve plugged my Morserino into my Windows 10 laptop via USB. In device manager I cannot see the COM ports even when I show hidden items.  The Morserino is listed under Other Devices and shows as ‘CP2102 USB to UART Bridge Controller’.It has no driver and cannot find a suitable driver.  What am I doing wrong?  Many thanks, Gary.

Gary

Thank you for all the replies.  I’ll download those drivers tonight and give it a go.  Many thanks, Gary.

Gary

Good news....those drivers worked!  Thankyou, everyone, for your help.

Bruce Roberts

Hi Graig,
I also tried the driver's you recommend. It worked great, and alot eaiser to set up than the way I was using. Thanks
Bruce K6TTT