Topics

#morserino #issues the IPX connector #morserino #issues

Syd

Just finishing up building this kit, the only thing left is the antenna coax getting connected to the Heltek module. This connector is extremely small and a jewelers loop is needed to see this these connectors.  Been going at this for a couple of hours trying to connect the IPX connector to the antenna coax connector. Just cannot get the two parts to match up.  Very frustrating to say the least. Looking at both connectors and I cannot see any deformities whatsoever in either connector. I simply cannot get the two connectors to match up. The antenna coax simply will not fit inside the IPX coax connector. Since I have no intention of using the TX, only as a self trainer, this will not stop me from using the kit. But I'm a bit of a stickler so I would like to complete this thing per spec.  Anyone have any ideas of what course of action I should take to fix this issue?

Jack Overholser

I’ve built 3 of them and had similar issues but persistence and patience prevailed. All were a very tight fit a took a bit of pressure to get them to snap together. I also have a bit of a disabled left hand and did struggle with it some but it should snap in once aligned. 73
Jack
K4OW 

On Tue, Jun 23, 2020 at 6:49 PM Syd via groups.io <nhuq1=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Just finishing up building this kit, the only thing left is the antenna coax getting connected to the Heltek module. This connector is extremely small and a jewelers loop is needed to see this these connectors.  Been going at this for a couple of hours trying to connect the IPX connector to the antenna coax connector. Just cannot get the two parts to match up.  Very frustrating to say the least. Looking at both connectors and I cannot see any deformities whatsoever in either connector. I simply cannot get the two connectors to match up. The antenna coax simply will not fit inside the IPX coax connector. Since I have no intention of using the TX, only as a self trainer, this will not stop me from using the kit. But I'm a bit of a stickler so I would like to complete this thing per spec.  Anyone have any ideas of what course of action I should take to fix this issue?

John, M0STQ

Syd,
   I struggled with this myself.

You say that the antenna coax won't fit inside the IPX coax connector. That may be part of the problem: the antenna coax connector fits outside the Heltec-mounted connector.

The final connector on the antenna cable is a cylinder with 4 slots cut into it that is about the same diameter as the board-mounted connector, but it is meant to splay apart under pressure and snap on outside the board connector. The actual pin in the centre is another matter, but if the outside snaps on, then you're good.

My successful method in the end was to twist the antenna cable around to get the connector to the right place and angle, and then push down on it with the jaws of some large 'thin-nosed' pliers, held sideways, so the flat of the pliers' nose was above the antenna connector, and stopped in from twisting. Then I just pushed down and prayed to the Maker Gods.

Hope this helps,

JD

Willi, OE1WKL

The trick is to apply pressure absolutely perpendicular to the board. I usually do it with the help of the flat side of a screwdriver.
BTW, there are special tools for this (probably terribly expensive, for a piece of metal): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v46-sBH7BaQ

Willi

Am 24.06.2020 um 10:51 schrieb John, M0STQ via groups.io <firegazer@...>:

Syd,
   I struggled with this myself.

You say that the antenna coax won't fit inside the IPX coax connector. That may be part of the problem: the antenna coax connector fits outside the Heltec-mounted connector.

The final connector on the antenna cable is a cylinder with 4 slots cut into it that is about the same diameter as the board-mounted connector, but it is meant to splay apart under pressure and snap on outside the board connector. The actual pin in the centre is another matter, but if the outside snaps on, then you're good.

My successful method in the end was to twist the antenna cable around to get the connector to the right place and angle, and then push down on it with the jaws of some large 'thin-nosed' pliers, held sideways, so the flat of the pliers' nose was above the antenna connector, and stopped in from twisting. Then I just pushed down and prayed to the Maker Gods.

Hope this helps,

JD

Syd

Today is another day! Will have at it once again. Nice feedback. I must say that I'm a little apprehensive about using too much pressure on this thing after the debacle I had with the battery connector on my other post.

Syd

inside was a typo

RACHAEL SANDERS

Simple tool but effective it seems.
I checked here in the UK. Cost between £5/£6......about 6 Euros or $7.5
Doesn’t seem like a lot to me.

Syd

Maybe I got it together. With a flat blade screwdriver holding the connector down and twisting it, I thought that I had it aligned. Still would not stay in.  Needed more pressure to force it together. Putting pressure on the connector with a flat blade screwdriver got a little bit scary because I was afraid I might break the PCB. So I went to my toolbox and found 2 needle nose pliers: one thin and the 2nd heavier. Putting the heavier needle nose plier nose that I was using on the top of the connector and the other nose on the bottom of the PCB I was able to use a lot more pressure.  It worked, I hope. No extra tool needed. Time will tell.  Hope this will help someone else.

Jaroslav Škarvada

These connectors are always tricky. It took me nearly 5 minutes to just connect them together. I recommend pushing through the coin - the force will better distribute or use tiny electrical pliers. In any case you need to be very cautious during the assembly

thanks & regards

Jaroslav, OK2JRQ

Jack Overholser napsal(a):

I’ve built 3 of them and had similar issues but persistence and patience prevailed. All were a very tight fit a took a bit of pressure to get them to snap together. I also have a bit of a disabled left hand and did struggle with it some but it should snap in once aligned. 73
Jack
K4OW
On Tue, Jun 23, 2020 at 6:49 PM Syd via groups.io <http://groups.io> <nhuq1=yahoo.com@groups.io <mailto:yahoo.com@groups.io>> wrote:
Just finishing up building this kit, the only thing left is the
antenna coax getting connected to the Heltek module. This connector
is extremely small and a jewelers loop is needed to see this these
connectors.  Been going at this for a couple of hours trying to
connect the IPX connector to the antenna coax connector. Just cannot
get the two parts to match up.  Very frustrating to say the least.
Looking at both connectors and I cannot see any deformities
whatsoever in either connector. I simply cannot get the two
connectors to match up. The antenna coax simply will not fit inside
the IPX coax connector. Since I have no intention of using the TX,
only as a self trainer, this will not stop me from using the kit.
But I'm a bit of a stickler so I would like to complete this thing
per spec.  Anyone have any ideas of what course of action I should
take to fix this issue?

Mike Stone

I built two Morsirino kits and had difficulty with the first antenna connection. But on the second kit I used a blunt (dull) end of a soft pencil to press the coax connector in place.
Mike, N1VE

On Jun 25, 2020, at 4:54 AM, Jaroslav Škarvada <zbox@...> wrote:

These connectors are always tricky. It took me nearly 5 minutes to just connect them together. I recommend pushing through the coin - the force will better distribute or use tiny electrical pliers. In any case you need to be very cautious during the assembly

thanks & regards

Jaroslav, OK2JRQ

Jack Overholser napsal(a):
Jack
K4OW
On Tue, Jun 23, 2020 at 6:49 PM Syd via groups.io <http://groups.io> <nhuq1=yahoo.com@groups.io <mailto:yahoo.com@groups.io>> wrote:
Just finishing up building this kit, the only thing left is the
antenna coax getting connected to the Heltek module. This connector
is extremely small and a jewelers loop is needed to see this these
connectors. Been going at this for a couple of hours trying to
connect the IPX connector to the antenna coax connector. Just cannot
get the two parts to match up. Very frustrating to say the least.
Looking at both connectors and I cannot see any deformities
whatsoever in either connector. I simply cannot get the two
connectors to match up. The antenna coax simply will not fit inside
the IPX coax connector. Since I have no intention of using the TX,
only as a self trainer, this will not stop me from using the kit.
But I'm a bit of a stickler so I would like to complete this thing
per spec. Anyone have any ideas of what course of action I should
take to fix this issue?