Topics

My take on a case

Ken Simmons

Here is my take on a case. Took longer than expected because I just about had it done and then my 3D printer crapped out and had to wait for parts. When I got that fixed, the stock speaker decided to give up the ghost. It only lasted a few sessions. I just went ahead and added a "standard" cone speaker.

Patrick Dirks, N6PWD

Hi Ken,

That’s a great-looking case!  I like how the connectors perfectly poke through the sides.  How’s the box printed?  In multiple pieces fit together?  How are they attached?

Have you put the model somewhere accessible, like thingiverse?

Thanks!
-Patrick.

On Oct 7, 2020, at 8:24 PM, Ken Simmons <flymustangs@...> wrote:

Here is my take on a case. Took longer than expected because I just about had it done and then my 3D printer crapped out and had to wait for parts. When I got that fixed, the stock speaker decided to give up the ghost. It only lasted a few sessions. I just went ahead and added a "standard" cone speaker.
<M32Case.jpg>

Ken Simmons

Thanks Patrick. The box is printed in two pieces. One piece is the bottom and the top side with the multiple connectors and power switch. The other is the bottom and the other three sides. There is a "tongue and groove" type fitting so the one side attached to the bottom meshes well with the other piece. There are standoffs on both pieces and the board sits between those. The two pieces are attached with rubber feet with threaded studs that go through the bottom piece and screw into the standoffs on the top piece.

This is set up for a battery that goes under the Heltec module so there isn't room under the board for a larger battery. More space could be added, but I'm not sure how much and still be able to use the threaded rubber feet to attach the pieces. The speaker just slides under tabs that are printed in the top piece.

I don't have it on Thingiverse. I've never posted anything up there, but I could certainly work on that if there is an interest.

Ken
WR7D`

That’s a great-looking case!  I like how the connectors perfectly poke through the sides.  How’s the box printed?  In multiple pieces fit together?  How are they attached?

Have you put the model somewhere accessible, like thingiverse?

Thanks!
-Patrick.

Steve Heard

I am certainly interested.
Stephen G3MII.

On Thu, 8 Oct 2020, 14:59 Ken Simmons, <flymustangs@...> wrote:
[...]

Tommy2

Uh...where’s the end of the line to ask for the file?

On Oct 8, 2020, at 9:28 AM, Steve Heard via groups.io <Steverheard@...> wrote:

[...]

jonpoland@...

My biggest question / concern is "Where's the WiFi antenna?".  With out that little pig tail coming of the daughter card there will be lots of complaints about WiFi the next time there is a firmware upgrade.

Jon N0WL

kg5hlb@...

I am certainly interested as well.

Paul, KG5HLB

When all else fails, there will still be Amateur Radio.

On Oct 8, 2020, at 09:01, Steve Heard via groups.io <Steverheard@...> wrote:

[...]

Ron Eike

Me too!

Ken Simmons

I'm not sure I understand this concern since the Wifi antenna is still present. It's just under the case. It's a plastic case so will have no impact on Wifi communications.

My biggest question / concern is "Where's the WiFi antenna?".  With out that little pig tail coming of the daughter card there will be lots of complaints about WiFi the next time there is a firmware upgrade.

Jon N0WL

Ken Simmons

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I'll work on getting the files up on Thingiverse today. I'll also include the file for the top that will accommodate the stock speaker.

Ken
WR7D

Robert Sabo

Yes, please. I am interested in printing this. Can you send me the files?

Thanks,
Bob
KD2UDT

On Oct 8, 2020, at 9:56 AM, Ken Simmons <flymustangs@...> wrote:

[...]