Topics

New battery recommendation

Martin Hepp

Dear all:

I think I recently raised my concerns here that using a FPV / quadrocopter battery was a suboptimal choice, because those do not contain protective circuits against excessive currents, overcharge and undervoltage.

This week, I found what I think is the ideal battery:

https://www.ebay.de/itm/283615436722

It is a 1S/3.7V 600mAh version that fits nicely below the Morserino PCB (even with the shorter 5mm distance plugs), and it has an integrated circuit against excessive currents, overcharge and undervoltage.

The price is ca. 6 EUR plus postage, so very fair.

The undervoltage lock-out should also make sure that if you accidentally leave the power slide switch on (or if it turns on during transport), the battery will not be destroyed.

73 de Martin, DK3IT

Willi, OE1WKL

Well, it seems a good battery, but the connector is a JST and not a Molex, so you would have to replace the battery cable with a suitable one.

Overcharge and high currents are not really a problem / the onboard circuitry prevents overcharge, and there is a polyfuse on the PCB to protect against high currents. But undervoltage is a problem, I fully agree.

Am 15.11.2019 um 19:27 schrieb Martin Hepp <mfhepp@...>:

Dear all:

I think I recently raised my concerns here that using a FPV / quadrocopter battery was a suboptimal choice, because those do not contain protective circuits against excessive currents, overcharge and undervoltage.

This week, I found what I think is the ideal battery:

https://www.ebay.de/itm/283615436722

It is a 1S/3.7V 600mAh version that fits nicely below the Morserino PCB (even with the shorter 5mm distance plugs), and it has an integrated circuit against excessive currents, overcharge and undervoltage.

The price is ca. 6 EUR plus postage, so very fair.

The undervoltage lock-out should also make sure that if you accidentally leave the power slide switch on (or if it turns on during transport), the battery will not be destroyed.

73 de Martin, DK3IT

hl5bat@...

I haven't received my order yet so I don't know what it is, and why is it so late?
from shin in Korea.

네이버 메일앱에서 보냈습니다.
제목: Re: [morserino] New battery recommendation

Well, it seems a good battery, but the connector is a JST and not a Molex, so you would have to replace the battery cable with a suitable one.

Overcharge and high currents are not really a problem / the onboard circuitry prevents overcharge, and there is a polyfuse on the PCB to protect against high currents. But undervoltage is a problem, I fully agree.

> Am 15.11.2019 um 19:27 schrieb Martin Hepp <mfhepp@...>:
>
> Dear all:
>
> I think I recently raised my concerns here that using a FPV / quadrocopter battery was a suboptimal choice, because those do not contain protective circuits against excessive currents, overcharge and undervoltage.
>
> This week, I found what I think is the ideal battery:
>
>    https://www.ebay.de/itm/283615436722
>
> It is a 1S/3.7V 600mAh version that fits nicely below the Morserino PCB (even with the shorter 5mm distance plugs), and it has an integrated circuit against excessive currents, overcharge and undervoltage.
>
> The price is ca. 6 EUR plus postage, so very fair.
>
> The undervoltage lock-out should also make sure that if you accidentally leave the power slide switch on (or if it turns on during transport), the battery will not be destroyed.
>
> 73 de Martin, DK3IT

hl5bat@...

I haven't received my order yet so I don't know what it is, and why is it so late?
from shin in Korea.

네이버 메일앱에서 보냈습니다.
제목: [morserino] New battery recommendation

Dear all:

I think I recently raised my concerns here that using a FPV / quadrocopter battery was a suboptimal choice, because those do not contain protective circuits against excessive currents, overcharge and undervoltage.

This week, I found what I think is the ideal battery:

   https://www.ebay.de/itm/283615436722

It is a 1S/3.7V 600mAh version that fits nicely below the Morserino PCB (even with the shorter 5mm distance plugs), and it has an integrated circuit against excessive currents, overcharge and undervoltage.

The price is ca. 6 EUR plus postage, so very fair.

The undervoltage lock-out should also make sure that if you accidentally leave the power slide switch on (or if it turns on during transport), the battery will not be destroyed.

73 de Martin, DK3IT

Willi, OE1WKL

Yours has been shipped on October 21st, and a shipping notice had been sent to you (of you did not see it check your spam folder!)

Outside Europe it is not unusual that shipments take up to month - so your kit should arrive soon!

OE1WKL

Von meinem Mobiltelefon gesendet

Am 15.11.2019 um 23:28 schrieb hl5bat@...:

[...]

Brian Garber

Regarding the battery connector, I noticed that my quadcopter batteries all use the JST connector (they are all E-flite 1S batteries). It looks like the DC cable supplied with the Morserino kit has a Molex type connector, is this correct? It appears that the connector in the KI6NAZ Youtube review is the smaller JST connector.

Thanks,
Brian WB8AM

Willi, OE1WKL

The kit comes with a cable featuring a Molex connector. Of course you can replace that cable with another cable that has whatever you fancy to use. The picture shows a battery with a Molex connector.

Am 11.12.2019 um 15:02 schrieb brianbgarber via Groups.Io <brianbgarber@...>:

Regarding the battery connector, I noticed that my quadcopter batteries all use the JST connector (they are all E-flite 1S batteries). It looks like the DC cable supplied with the Morserino kit has a Molex type connector, is this correct? It appears that the connector in the KI6NAZ Youtube review is the smaller JST connector.

Thanks,
Brian WB8AM

Patrick Dirks, N6PWD

Hi Brian,

On Dec 11, 2019, at 6:02 AM, brianbgarber via Groups.Io <brianbgarber@...> wrote:

Regarding the battery connector, I noticed that my quadcopter batteries all use the JST connector (they are all E-flite 1S batteries). It looks like the DC cable supplied with the Morserino kit has a Molex type connector, is this correct? It appears that the connector in the KI6NAZ Youtube review is the smaller JST connector.

Yeah, when I bought a set of 4 "600mAh 1S 3.7V LiPo Battery 50C JST-PH 2.0 PowerWhoop mCPX Connector Rechargeable 1S LiPo Battery for Inductrix FPV Plus Tiny Whoop FPV Racing Drone” on Amazon ($20, https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CHMM252/) because they conveniently fit under the Heltec circuit board I also bought a set of 3 "Tiny Whoop JST-PH 2.0 Pin Male Female Connector Cable for Upgrading Blade Inductrix” ($6.88, https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072B66P5C) and soldered one of THOSE to the board instead of the provided Molex connector.

It’s more than strictly needed (they’re 3 sets of male+female JST cables) but it came in handy when I melted one set cutting through a cable that was still connected to a battery... with metal cutters... instant smoke!  Those batteries pack plenty of power!  I figured I’d have a use for another set when I used one of the other 3 batteries some day anyway.

73, N6PWD
-Patrick.

Thanks,
Brian WB8AM

Brian Garber

Yikes. I just bought a battery for a toy for my boys. Something seems off... maybe I'm wiring everything up wrong, but it looks like there is a standard that I'm missing. I didn't plug it in all the way, this photo is for illustration purposes only.

Adam Mosley

I had the same issue, I used some wire cutters and trimmed the side of the battery terminal allowing it to seat with the correct polarity when matched to the wiring of the M32.

Brian Garber

Yeah, this makes me nervous. I ordered a battery (the one recommended b/c it's pretty hard to find that connector in the states) but I will be darned sure to check polarity before plugging it in! I think something is off here.

Adam Mosley

I ordered this one and it came in like your pic, terminal is reversed. I don't have a way of taking the pins out to swap them and didn't want to creat a possible point of failure but cutting and swapping the wires over so I nipped the sides carefully and not it plugs in just fine.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GFOK9XM/ref=cm_sw_r_em_apa_i_BYz9Db2W5CK0P

Brian Garber

On Sat, Dec 14, 2019 at 09:41 PM, <draggynsmate@...> wrote

Looks like the connector supplied with the Morserino is wired incorrectly. This should go out as a warning to others.

Willi, OE1WKL

This is definitely the wrong battery!!! This says 4.8 V Nmh - don't use that! You need a single cell (3.7 V) LiPo battery with a Molex connector.

Using the wrong battery is likely to destroy your Heltec module.

Am 15.12.2019 um 03:30 schrieb brianbgarber via Groups.Io <brianbgarber@...>:

Yikes. I just bought a battery for a toy for my boys. Something seems off... maybe I'm wiring everything up wrong, but it looks like there is a standard that I'm missing. I didn't plug it in all the way, this photo is for illustration purposes only.
<20191214_212211.jpg>

Christopher J. Shaker, KJ7BLE

Usually, pins like this have a sheet metal protrusion that you push down to unlock the pin from the plastic
connector body.

You should be able to remove one of the pins, wrap it in black tape (so it cannot short to the other one),
then remove the second pin and move it to the first hole, and untape the first pin and reinstall it in the
second hole.

Chris Shaker
KJ7BLE

On 12/14/2019 6:41 PM, draggynsmate@... wrote:
I ordered this one and it came in like your pic, terminal is reversed. I don't have a way of taking the pins out to swap them and didn't want to creat a possible point of failure but cutting and swapping the wires over so I nipped the sides carefully and not it plugs in just fine.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GFOK9XM/ref=cm_sw_r_em_apa_i_BYz9Db2W5CK0P

Willi, OE1WKL

Please, please don’t. Rewiring the connector will not make this a usable battery. You are just heading for trouble. The cable that comes with the kit has a correctly wired Molex plug.

The instructions clearly state:

It must be a single cell LiPo (nominally 3.7 V), and should have a Molex plug (because a cable with such a connector is part of the kit - if you use a battery with a different type of connector, you need to supply your own cable for connecting it to the Morserino-32!).

The battery shown in the picture was a 4-cell, 4.8 V  NiMH (!!) and not a single cell LiPo. And it does not have a Molex plug. The charging circuitry on the Heltec module is designed for a single cell LiPo, so using anything else is likely to destroy it immediately or maybe over a longer time.

Why would anyone go for a 4.8 V NiMH when a 3.7 V LiPo is specified?

Something like this from Amazon would work (although it has to be mounted underneath the PCB): https://www.amazon.com/Unitedheart-Capacity-Battery-Exquisitely-Designed/dp/B081QM19RV/ref=sr_1_15?keywords=lipo+molex&qid=1576396283&sr=8-15

OE1WKL

Am 15.12.2019 um 07:22 schrieb Christopher J. Shaker, KJ7BLE <cjshaker@...>:

Usually, pins like this have a sheet metal protrusion that you push down to unlock the pin from the plastic
connector body.

You should be able to remove one of the pins, wrap it in black tape (so it cannot short to the other one),
then remove the second pin and move it to the first hole, and untape the first pin and reinstall it in the
second hole.

Chris Shaker
KJ7BLE

On 12/14/2019 6:41 PM, draggynsmate@... wrote:
I ordered this one and it came in like your pic, terminal is reversed. I don't have a way of taking the pins out to swap them and didn't want to creat a possible point of failure but cutting and swapping the wires over so I nipped the sides carefully and not it plugs in just fine.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GFOK9XM/ref=cm_sw_r_em_apa_i_BYz9Db2W5CK0P

Juergen Wagner

I agree with Willi:

Why would anyone go for a 4.8 V NiMH when a 3.7 V LiPo is specified?

I try to understand for what that is gud ??? Please can someone explain why
he does/try this ?

Mni tks es 73
Juergen
DL4KE

Am 15.12.2019 um 08:54 schrieb Willi, OE1WKL:

Why would anyone go for a 4.8 V NiMH when a 3.7 V LiPo is specified?

Brian Garber

Sure, I will explain. As I clearly stated, that photo is "for illustration purposes only"! Please do not misunderstand and assume I'm advocating powering up the Morserino with clearly the wrong batter. My point for the illustration was to show that had I plugged in the proper LiPo 1S battery with the correct connector that the circuit would have been reversed biased.

On to my second point. IF THIS IS NOT A MOLEX PLUG then I was sent the wrong connector as I installed the cable that was provided in the kit!!!!

So I will reiterate... please check your battery polarizations and connector types folks. And I want to be clear; PLEASE DO NOT CONNECT A 4.8V NiMh BATTERY TO THE MORSERINO!

Sorry to confuse everyone.

Juergen Wagner

Many thanks brian - that helps me to understood !!!!
73
Juergen
DL4KE

Am 15.12.2019 um 14:34 schrieb brianbgarber via Groups.Io:

Sure, I will explain. As I clearly stated, that photo is "for illustration purposes only"! Please do not misunderstand and assume I'm advocating powering up the Morserino with clearly the wrong batter. My point for the illustration was to show that had I plugged in the proper LiPo 1S battery with the correct connector that the circuit would have been reversed biased.

On to my second point. IF THIS IS NOT A MOLEX PLUG then I was sent the wrong connector as I installed the cable that was provided in the kit!!!!

So I will reiterate... please check your battery polarizations and connector types folks. And I want to be clear;
PLEASE DO NOT CONNECT A 4.8V NiMh BATTERY TO THE MORSERINO!

Sorry to confuse everyone.

Adam Mosley

Image

Well I will say I bought the battery in the picture and one of these is wired incorrectly. Not pointing fingers at anyone just relaying my experience.. The battery was backwards compared to the M32.