New morserino stuck on Audio Adjust #issues

Valerio Angelici

Just got my new morserino yesterday and assembled it, the kis is nice and easy to assemble, with detailed instructions and very few (if any) chances of doing something wrong.

I had a lipo from one of my mini drones with the right connector, so used it.

The morserino is working well with USB, but I have a problem when running from battery.

The morserino actually boot up, shows the splash screen and then goes to the "Audio Adjust end with red" screen, but nothing happens if I push the red switch.

If then I connect the USB, I can push the red button and get out of it, but as soon as I unplug the USB cable, it gets back to the Audio Adjust screen. What can I do??? I checked the soldering of the module, and there are no short except the two 3.3V pins that I think should be shorted.

Willi, OE1WKL

Did you measure the  voltage of the battery? Maybe it is almost empty?

Am 25.06.2021 um 19:35 schrieb valerio.angelici@...:

Just got my new morserino yesterday and assembled it, the kis is nice and easy to assemble, with detailed instructions and very few (if any) chances of doing something wrong.

I had a lipo from one of my mini drones with the right connector, so used it.

The morserino is working well with USB, but I have a problem when running from battery.

The morserino actually boot up, shows the splash screen and then goes to the "Audio Adjust end with red" screen, but nothing happens if I push the red switch.

If then I connect the USB, I can push the red button and get out of it, but as soon as I unplug the USB cable, it gets back to the Audio Adjust screen. What can I do??? I checked the soldering of the module, and there are no short except the two 3.3V pins that I think should be shorted.

Valerio Angelici

Yes I left it in charge and the battery is at about 4.1v.
I made a video I forgot to add to my first post, you can view it here:
I have a bench power supply, can I try to use it instead of the battery so we can exclude the faulty battery? If yes, what's the best voltage to use?
Thanks

Il ven 25 giu 2021, 19:42 Willi, OE1WKL <willi@...> ha scritto:
[...]

Maybe the battery cables are not soldered well. The LED glowing when you plug in the USB means that for the Heltec Module the battery is still charging and not full…

You can use a power supply instead of the battery, I should be working between 3.0 V and 4.2 (do not go higher with the voltage!).
You can measure the voltages on the following pins when operating from a battery (or power through the battery terminals):
3V3 and Vext. They both should be at 3.3 V against GND.

Willi

Valerio Angelici

Made some testing:
With USB cable - both 3.3 and vExt are 3.3v
Without USB cable (lipo 3.99v measured across lipo black and polyfuse) I have 3.3 on both the 3.3v pins on the heltec, but only 0.7v on the vExt pins (measured again the GND pin on the heltec) and the heltec is not booting now

Il ven 25 giu 2021, 22:44 Willi, OE1WKL <willi@...> ha scritto:
Maybe the battery cables are not soldered well. The LED glowing when you plug in the USB means that for the Heltec Module the battery is still charging and not full…

You can use a power supply instead of the battery, I should be working between 3.0 V and 4.2 (do not go higher with the voltage!).
You can measure the voltages on the following pins when operating from a battery (or power through the battery terminals):
3V3 and Vext. They both should be at 3.3 V against GND.

That somehow sounds very strange… could it be that there is a solder bridge shorting Vext somehow?

Willi

Am 25.06.2021 um 23:50 schrieb Valerio Angelici <valerio.angelici@...>:

[...]

I removed the heltec module from the board, removed the power cable, checked for solder bridges, checked voltage on the power cable, the reassembled everything and now it's working! I don't know what caused the issue, as I didn't find bridges. Probably something not making a good contact that got fixed removing and reinstalling the module.

Thanks for the support!

Valerio

Willi, OE1WKL

Ah, good to know it is working now…