Topics

Possible battery source

Gwen Patton

I spotted this when looking up the HiLetgo ESP32 board used in the Morserino-32 on Amazon, and saw that it was "frequently sold with" a particular battery. I didn't check the measurements, but I'm fairly certain it won't fit under the ESP32 on top of the board, but with the longer standoffs I'm sure it will fit UNDER the PCB. It's 1000mAh and I thought it looked...interesting. You might have to do some fiddling with whatever connector you want to use (I have pigtails for both JST1.25 AND the Molex blade connector) but that's a trivial matter. I only bring it up because of the suggestion from Amazon that they've supposedly sold a bunch of them along with those ESP32 boards, not because I've tried it or checked anything to make sure it's good for the Morserino in particular. I'm sure someone can just look at its specs and know whether or not it's usable, but I've seen a lot of posts about where to get batteries. I thought I'd offer this as a possible battery for the Morserino. If it isn't, oh, well.

https://www.amazon.com/MakerFocus-Rechargable-Protection-Insulated-Development/dp/B07CXNQ3ZR/

Gwen, NG3P

vince adams

Group
That Molex battery connector will not work for the Morserino without major soldering and modifications
FYI
Vince KD7TWW

From: main@morserino.groups.io <main@morserino.groups.io> on behalf of Gwen Patton via groups.io <ardrhi@...>
Sent: Wednesday, October 14, 2020 9:36 AM
To: main@morserino.groups.io <main@morserino.groups.io>
Subject: [morserino] Possible battery source

I spotted this when looking up the HiLetgo ESP32 board used in the Morserino-32 on Amazon, and saw that it was "frequently sold with" a particular battery. I didn't check the measurements, but I'm fairly certain it won't fit under the ESP32 on top of the board, but with the longer standoffs I'm sure it will fit UNDER the PCB. It's 1000mAh and I thought it looked...interesting. You might have to do some fiddling with whatever connector you want to use (I have pigtails for both JST1.25 AND the Molex blade connector) but that's a trivial matter. I only bring it up because of the suggestion from Amazon that they've supposedly sold a bunch of them along with those ESP32 boards, not because I've tried it or checked anything to make sure it's good for the Morserino in particular. I'm sure someone can just look at its specs and know whether or not it's usable, but I've seen a lot of posts about where to get batteries. I thought I'd offer this as a possible battery for the Morserino. If it isn't, oh, well.

https://www.amazon.com/MakerFocus-Rechargable-Protection-Insulated-Development/dp/B07CXNQ3ZR/

Gwen, NG3P

vince adams

EDIT
Group
Yes, it does connect okay to the Heltec module okay but not to the Morserino without modification and or a possible new plug
Vince 73 KD7TWW

From: main@morserino.groups.io <main@morserino.groups.io> on behalf of vince adams via groups.io <vince@...>
Sent: Wednesday, October 14, 2020 12:58 PM
Subject: Re: [morserino] Possible battery source

Group
That Molex battery connector will not work for the Morserino without major soldering and modifications
FYI
Vince KD7TWW

From: main@morserino.groups.io <main@morserino.groups.io> on behalf of Gwen Patton via groups.io <ardrhi@...>

Gwen, NG3P

vince adams

Group
Here's my latest video on the connector and some other things concerning the Morserino-32. More videos on the way
Part 3 TESTING of the series of the Morserino-32 Build sent by Paul of Washington D.C. My Ham Radio Teacher Tom Mattus WA9WSJ Boise Idaho 6 weeks of class 2 ...
www.youtube.com

From: main@morserino.groups.io <main@morserino.groups.io> on behalf of vince adams via groups.io <vince@...>
Sent: Wednesday, October 14, 2020 1:02 PM

EDIT
Group
Yes, it does connect okay to the Heltec module okay but not to the Morserino without modification and or a possible new plug
Vince 73 KD7TWW

Sent: Wednesday, October 14, 2020 12:58 PM

Group
FYI
Vince KD7TWW

Gwen, NG3P

Willi, OE1WKL

You can use all sorts of battery connectors, as long as you have a cable with a mating pair, to replace the battery cable that comes with the Morserino kit.

Willi

Am 14.10.2020 um 21:02 schrieb vince adams <vince@...>:

EDIT
Group
Yes, it does connect okay to the Heltec module okay but not to the Morserino without modification and or a possible new plug
Vince 73 KD7TWW

From: main@morserino.groups.io <main@morserino.groups.io> on behalf of vince adams via groups.io <vince@...>
Sent: Wednesday, October 14, 2020 12:58 PM
To: main@morserino.groups.io <main@morserino.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [morserino] Possible battery source

Group
FYI
Vince KD7TWW

From: main@morserino.groups.io <main@morserino.groups.io> on behalf of Gwen Patton via groups.io <ardrhi@...>
Sent: Wednesday, October 14, 2020 9:36 AM
Subject: [morserino] Possible battery source

Gwen, NG3P 

Gwen Patton

I was going to say... If replacing a battery wire is a major soldering job for you, should you be building a kit at all? If it's that big a deal to snip two wires, strip four wire ends, then solder the new connector to the battery wires, then building the Morserino is probably more of a project than you can handle at all right now. Practice on some spare hookup wire for another month, I guess.

Seriously... Changing a battery connector is that big a deal? It wasn't for me. I just installed both JST and Molex blade connectors, on their own pigtails, to the M32 input. Done. I can use either the Molex or the JST without changing anything, just plug and go. I don't see the big deal.

My point in the suggestion was, if, given a proper connector to plug it into (you might have to spend a WHOLE DOLLAR if it isn't the Molex that comes with the kit), is there any other reason the battery wouldn't work? Like wrong voltage, too many amps, it's a different religion, the battery is allergic to cats... Any reason the battery itself would not work?

Major soldering project... *hairy eyeball*

Gwen, NG3P

On Wed, Oct 14, 2020, 3:34 PM Willi, OE1WKL <willi@...> wrote:
You can use all sorts of battery connectors, as long as you have a cable with a mating pair, to replace the battery cable that comes with the Morserino kit.

Willi

Am 14.10.2020 um 21:02 schrieb vince adams <vince@...>:

EDIT
Group
Yes, it does connect okay to the Heltec module okay but not to the Morserino without modification and or a possible new plug
Vince 73 KD7TWW

From: main@morserino.groups.io <main@morserino.groups.io> on behalf of vince adams via groups.io <vince@...>
Sent: Wednesday, October 14, 2020 12:58 PM
Subject: Re: [morserino] Possible battery source

Group
FYI
Vince KD7TWW

From: main@morserino.groups.io <main@morserino.groups.io> on behalf of Gwen Patton via groups.io <ardrhi@...>
Sent: Wednesday, October 14, 2020 9:36 AM
Subject: [morserino] Possible battery source

Gwen, NG3P