Topics

Possible Heltec ESP32 Wifi Lofta Board Failure

Hilary McGartlin

Recently assembled two Morserino kits. After one month of use one unit started to malfunction. First the speaker audio stopped. Plugged 3.5 mm headphone into Phone jack and continued to operate. Wifi was displaying wifi connection of the assemble location (my Garage) tried to enter WIFI functions menu by pressing RED button on long push and triple click with no success. Start screen shows Morserino 32 43415, V.3.0.2, 2018-2020, U:4.3V on power up. Unit shows Select Mode, Transceiver, Lora Tr. single press of Lora Tr enables transmit of cw code. No other selections available with BLACK knob, Single press of RED button shows audio adjust. Lora TR only Select Mode available. Lora frequency appears and snapshot appears and clears. No other functions visible.
Does anyone have any troubleshooting recommendations. Does the Heltec processor cause this type of malfunction.

Willi, OE1WKL

Wayne,

You are on the current firmware version, but you obviously are using an old manual. The WiFi function is now part of the main menu structure (since version 2.0, quite a long time ago). 
LONG press of RED button gives you the output level adjust function, not so a short click of the RED button.
And rememeber, a LONG press of the black knob gets you back up the menu structure, where on the top level you will find the WiFi functions.

Willi

Am 11.11.2020 um 07:53 schrieb Hilary McGartlin <mcgartlin@...>:

Recently assembled two Morserino kits. After one month of use one unit started to malfunction. First the speaker audio stopped. Plugged 3.5 mm headphone into Phone jack and continued to operate. Wifi was displaying wifi connection of the assemble location (my Garage) tried to enter WIFI functions menu by pressing RED button on long push and triple click with no success. Start screen shows Morserino 32 43415, V.3.0.2, 2018-2020, U:4.3V on power up. Unit shows Select Mode, Transceiver, Lora Tr. single press of Lora Tr enables transmit of cw code. No other selections available with BLACK knob, Single press of RED button shows audio adjust. Lora TR only Select Mode available. Lora frequency appears and snapshot appears and clears. No other functions visible.
Does anyone have any troubleshooting recommendations. Does the Heltec processor cause this type of malfunction.

Hilary McGartlin

Downloaded Morserino User Manual Version 3.0 May 2020. The only mode available is Transceiver- LoRa Trx, The black rotary does not change anything. single push gives me Transceiver with .. below Transceiver, two press on black knob get me into the LoRa function and allows me to use the paddles and monitor thru the 3.5 mm jack with cell phone ear pieces. The speaker does not work. If USB cable is plugged in Windows 10 recognized the silab driver. Any recommendations on where to go from this point.

Willi, OE1WKL

Did. you try  a LONG press on the black knob?

Willi

Von meinem Mobiltelefon gesendet

Am 11.11.2020 um 19:36 schrieb Hilary McGartlin <mcgartlin@...>:

Downloaded Morserino User Manual Version 3.0 May 2020. The only mode available is Transceiver- LoRa Trx, The black rotary does not change anything. single push gives me Transceiver with .. below Transceiver, two press on black knob get me into the LoRa function and allows me to use the paddles and monitor thru the 3.5 mm jack with cell phone ear pieces. The speaker does not work. If USB cable is plugged in Windows 10 recognized the silab driver. Any recommendations on where to go from this point.

Hilary McGartlin

Long press displays: Select Modus: Transceiver with .. below Transceiver

Wayne

From: main@morserino.groups.io <main@morserino.groups.io> On Behalf Of Willi, OE1WKL
Sent: Wednesday, November 11, 2020 10:58 AM
To: main@morserino.groups.io
Subject: Re: [morserino] Possible Heltec ESP32 Wifi Lofta Board Failure

Willi

Willi, OE1WKL

Now after the long press rotate encoder....

Am 11.11.2020 um 20:28 schrieb Hilary McGartlin <mcgartlin@...>:

Wayne

From: main@morserino.groups.io <main@morserino.groups.io> On Behalf Of Willi, OE1WKL

Willi

Hilary McGartlin

Is it possible to purchase a programmed Heltec ESP32 WIFI Lofta Board. I assembled three kits, purchased two the last time out. Took one to a blind friends home and set it up, works  excellent. Set the second one up in my garage on the WIFI connection in the garage, brought it inside to setup WIFI for house SSIP, things went down hill from their. First thing to go was the speaker, never was able to change WIFI to house SSID. I believe I corrupted the processor.

Hilary McGartlin

Rotating encoder does not change anything, rotate function not working.

Sent: Wednesday, November 11, 2020 11:48 AM

Now after the long press rotate encoder....

Am 11.11.2020 um 20:28 schrieb Hilary McGartlin <mcgartlin@...>:

Wayne

Willi

Willi, OE1WKL

Yes, it is possible to buy spare parts as long as the supply lasts.
But it highly unlikely that the processor has been destroyed…
It is much more likely that either something has not been soldered correctly (like the encoder).
It would be a shame to buy a new Heltec module just to find out that it does not solve the problem.

At this stage I am not sure what happened - it would be very helpful to record a short video that demonstrates the problem.
When the display show („Select Modus“, can you turn the black knob and does it then lead you through the various modes of the main menu?

Are you familiar with the basic functions of the black and red knob as explained in the manual? (Long press, short press, double press, rotating the encoder)?

Willi

Am 11.11.2020 um 21:20 schrieb Hilary McGartlin <mcgartlin@...>:

Is it possible to purchase a programmed Heltec ESP32 WIFI Lofta Board. I assembled three kits, purchased two the last time out. Took one to a blind friends home and set it up, works  excellent. Set the second one up in my garage on the WIFI connection in the garage, brought it inside to setup WIFI for house SSIP, things went down hill from their. First thing to go was the speaker, never was able to change WIFI to house SSID. I believe I corrupted the processor.

vince adams

Hilary

Are you able to make some videos and post those videos you make to Youtube? That would be very helpful

Vince KD7TWW

On 11/11/20 1:20 PM, Hilary McGartlin via groups.io wrote:

Hilary McGartlin

I went back and checked the soldier contacts and all were good. I applied backward pressure to the Black encoder switch and the system worked okay as long as pressure is kept on the encoder switch. The minute pressure is removed from the encoder switch the switch is not functional. I have a defective  encoder switch. Can I procure a encoder switch or order one online?

Willi, OE1WKL

I am certain  the encoder is not faulty - I did not see a faulty encoder so far (they are high quality Bourns encoders, PEC12R-4215F-S0024 or PEC11R-4215F-S00249 . 
In all cases where people had problems with the encoder, the soldering was bad.
I SUGGEST TO RESOLDER ALL 5 ENCODER CONNNCTIONS (especially those leading to ground) - make sure you apply enough heat, the solder must really FLOW.

Willi

Am 12.11.2020 um 05:25 schrieb Hilary McGartlin <mcgartlin@...>:

I went back and checked the soldier contacts and all were good. I applied backward pressure to the Black encoder switch and the system worked okay as long as pressure is kept on the encoder switch. The minute pressure is removed from the encoder switch the switch is not functional. I have a defective  encoder switch. Can I procure a encoder switch or order one online?

Hilary McGartlin

You are correct, re-soldiered switch and everything works. Thanks for your patience and help.

Rich

I am curious if you used leaded solder or lead free solder.

Hilary McGartlin

Leaded soldier

From: <main@morserino.groups.io> on behalf of Rich <richk2ups@...>
Reply-To: <main@morserino.groups.io>
Date: Thursday, November 12, 2020 at 12:25 PM
To: <main@morserino.groups.io>

I am curious if you used leaded solder or lead free solder.