Topics

Rotary Encoder Not Responding

George K3GBB <george.k3gbb@...>

When the device is turned on it starts per the instructions...there is a start screen with voltage and FW info. After a second or two the device is at the start screen (Select Mode:  CW Keyer).  Once I reach that point the device no longer works.  

The Rotary Encoder does not change anything when rotated...that seems to be the major problem.  The Red Button does change the screen info but, again, the Rotary Encoder does not respond when rotated.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance...73 de George K3GBB

Mike Stone

Did the device operate correctly at one time?
Mike, N1VE

On Jun 29, 2020, at 9:46 AM, George K3GBB <george.k3gbb@...> wrote:

When the device is turned on it starts per the instructions...there is a start screen with voltage and FW info. After a second or two the device is at the start screen (Select Mode:  CW Keyer).  Once I reach that point the device no longer works.  

The Rotary Encoder does not change anything when rotated...that seems to be the major problem.  The Red Button does change the screen info but, again, the Rotary Encoder does not respond when rotated.

Any suggestions?

Willi, OE1WKL

99.9%: the soldering of the rotary encoder is faulty (I never encountered a faulty encoder…). Re-solder the pads of the encoder (especially the middle on of the three requires a fair amount of heat (like all pads connected to ground).

Willi

Am 29.06.2020 um 15:46 schrieb George K3GBB <george.k3gbb@...>:

Any suggestions?

No...did not.  I am guessing as Willi says it is a soldering issue.

Hi Willi...thought that might be the issue.  I will keep you posted.

Mike Stone

Yes, mine was not fully functioning and I found a missing solder connection. 

On Jun 29, 2020, at 12:03 PM, George K3GBB <george.k3gbb@...> wrote:

No...did not.  I am guessing as Willi says it is a soldering issue.