Topics

Silly question: Does anyone have a spare kit? #morserino

Jose Pantaleon

Hello all,

I know that this is a silly question but I will ask anyway. Does anyone have a spare kit, built or un built that they might be willing to part with?
The only reason that I ask instead of waiting (like everyone else) for the next production run is that I had recently joined the @LongIslandCW club.
Currently I am practicing with various apps which is good but I am also using a Pixie for sending practice and as you can appreciate, it is extremely limited.

Thanks for your time and I am happy to be part of the group.

73

Jose - K6HZR

John, M0STQ

Jose,
   I'm afraid not. Sorry.

If you have (or can get) an Arduino development board, or a Raspberry Pi, you could connect up a straight key, and write some basic CW practice programmes, whilst you wait for the next production run.

I love my Morserino-32, but it doesn't do anything magical; it just does a really good collection of useful things in a convenient unit. If you have to wait for yours, you're probably best off tinkering with an Arduino to re-create the CW Keyer, Decoder, and maybe Echo Trainer functionality.

The WiFi and Lora stuff are harder to do with a basic Arduino, but you could get some useful practice tools going. Willi has made the firmware for the M-32 Open Source, on GitHub, so you can even see how he's written some of the features, rather than starting from scratch.

Email me if you need some help.

John, M0STQ

Chris Frishkorn

Jose,

It would be fairly trivial to port the code to something like these and have all the functionality of the Morserino source code (no LoRa but I imagine most aren’t using it). If you are really only wanting Wifi and an OLED. The Heltec’s were Arduino IDE compatible so I imagine very little code changes would be needed.

I’m always around to help with this.

- Chris Frishkorn, K3SQA

On Oct 30, 2020, at 12:00 PM, John, M0STQ via groups.io <firegazer@...> wrote:

[...]

Willi, OE1WKL

The suggested OLED will be a problem, as it is only 128x32 - the Heltec module has 128x64.

Willi

Am 30.10.2020 um 18:24 schrieb Chris Frishkorn <frishkorn@...>:

[...]

Willi,

You are correct. I posted the wrong link.

Here is one OLED for Feathers that has 3 push buttons and is 128x64.

I’ve been using the ESP32 Feather for a personal project of my own and like it. https://www.k3sqa.com.

Willi the Heltec uses the same ESP32 correct?

- Chris, K3SQA

On Oct 30, 2020, at 1:47 PM, Willi, OE1WKL <willi@...> wrote:

[...]

Tim Ward K4TIM

Jose,

I have an unbuilt kit available, brand new and in the same condition as received from Willi.  Sent you a direct email.

73,
Tim, K4TIM