From: main@morserino.groups.io <main@morserino.groups.io> on behalf of mjordan-groupsio via Groups.Io <mjordan-groupsio@...>
Sent: Friday, February 14, 2020 3:50:01 PM
To: main@morserino.groups.io <main@morserino.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [morserino] Straight Key

Hi, Rich.

As a matter of fact, there are at least two forks of Morserino that support straight keys. One is the project of Karetoth https://github.com/Karethoth/Morserino-32 and the other one is mine https://github.com/matthiasjordan/Morserino-32
Please note that my straight key support is not released as a binary, yet, but you could clone the repo and build it yourself. If you drop me a line I could send you a binary that you can upload into your Morserino.

Kind regards

Matthias

Richard Duncan <w7ord@...>

Hi Matthias,
I got my Morserino yesterday and got it working. I went through the steps to get on WiFi and I think I can upload to it. So now I'm ready to look into straight key support.
If I upload does it wipe out the default code?

I've never worked with this type of device before so I have a lot of dumb questions.

Thanks
Richard Duncan

Randy, N4TVC

I am looking for straight key support in the Transceiver (LoRa) mode for our STEM camp.  We have 4 Morserino-32 units and need to communicate via LoRa.  Do either of these forks support straight key in Transceiver mode?

Thanks, 73, N4TVC, Randy

Randy, N4TVC

Following up my own question, here.  I tried both forks and neither provides any straight key support beyond what version 2.3 provides.  I'm confused by the comments made in older posts that hinted that there was straight key support beyond the "CW Decode" mode.  Perhaps I misunderstood.

TNX, 73, N4TVC, Randy

Randy, N4TVC

Yet another followup...I was wrong and I had an older release, both, but mostly I was wrong...

Matthias sent the following link to me...

https://github.com/matthiasjordan/Morserino-32/releases

This fork contains version 2.2 docs, source, and binary files.  This version has a new "Parameters" setting for straight key support and it appears to work in all modes where a straight key makes sense.

This is EXACTLY what I need for the STEM camp so the campers can just learn the code and not have to learn iambic paddle use.

Many thanks for this to Matthias.

Craig T. Bailey

Randy,

You the man!   :)

Thanks for closing the circuit on this.   I really appreciate when a guy is humble with the group!

73 from New Hampshire
N1SFT

On Mar 8, 2020, at 3:42 PM, Randy, N4TVC via Groups.Io <n4tvc@...> wrote:

Yet another followup...I was wrong and I had an older release, both, but mostly I was wrong...

Matthias sent the following link to me...

https://github.com/matthiasjordan/Morserino-32/releases

This fork contains version 2.2 docs, source, and binary files.  This version has a new "Parameters" setting for straight key support and it appears to work in all modes where a straight key makes sense.

This is EXACTLY what I need for the STEM camp so the campers can just learn the code and not have to learn iambic paddle use.

Many thanks for this to Matthias.

Craig T. Bailey
603-867-3607

--
_____
Craig Bailey

Randy, N4TVC

The Straight Key enabled version of the Morserino-32 code that I've been playing
with is a fork of Willi's (OE1WKL) code and was written by Matthias Jordan, DL4MAT.
The location for this fork is https://github.com/matthiasjordan/Morserino-32/releases
and includes documentation, source code, and binary files.

I have used the Arduino IDE to compile the source and download the binary directly to
the Heltec ESP32 module via the USB port and I have created a binary file and updated
the Morserino-32 using the firmware update process that Willi has incorporated into his
application.  Both methods for updating the firmware work flawlessly.  Matthias has
also spent a great deal of time organizing the code to make following and understanding
this work easier.

Matthias wrote in a couple of new apps (modes) to supplement the Morserino-32 firmware:
- Morse Tennis
- Head Copying

Morse Tennis is a game played with 2 Morserino-32 units over the LoRa communications
link and simulates many of the activities one would use in actual CW QSOs on the air.
It can be palyed as a competition between the two players or as a collaboration of the
efforts of the players.

Head Copying is another way of learning Morse Code but without using a medium to capture
each individual letter.  The goal here is to learn to copy words in one's head.  This
is a welcome trainer for a difficult skill to learn.

Important to note is that these enhancements are in addition to the original firmware
and all the functionality of Willi's code.  If you wish to use Straight Key mode,
simply enable it in the parameters.  The Straight Key functionality is available in all
modes where using a straight key makes sense (Transceiver, CW Decode, Echo Trainer,
Koch Trainer, Morse Tennis).  Disable Straight Key in the parameters for paddles and
iambic keying as in the default firmware.

This fork is a great addition to the existing code provided with the Morserino-32.
Even if you do not need Straight Key functionality, it is worth the Firmware Update
to get the additional features and modes.

Many thanks to Matthias and to Willi for this firmware.

73, N4TVC, Randy

DM3KB (Kai)

Hello,

I was quite disapointed when I realized that straight key is not really supported by Morserino.
So my Morserino was resting unused on my desk.
Reading Randy's post I checked the page from Matthias:
https://github.com/matthiasjordan/Morserino-32/releases
Browsing the page I found a bin file of the latest version.
The explanation from OE6FEG how to upgrade Morserino:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=msL1yazDSi8
Gave the trigger to give it a go.
It worked like a charm.
So I can now train CW with a straight key.
The only obstackle I found is that my staight key has a mono 3.5 mm jack that is shortening one of the paddel contacts. I have now changed the jack.

Vy 73, Kai DM3KB

kc2czkradiowaveradio

Hi All
  My Morserino is 1.3 and been happy ,but now I might try updating
mine,as I want to practice cw with a straight Key with all features !
   Rich
 KC2CZK