Stuck on EMPTY After Firmware Upgrade to 4.1

Jim Worthington

I just got a used Morserino yesterday. It worked great until I updated the firmware from 4.0 to 4.1. Now, it displays "EMPTY" for about 3 seconds when starting up and then the display goes blank. I've tried:
1. running off a fully charged battery
2. running off USB power
3. starting over with the Reset button
4. trying to do battery calibration by pressing both paddles during startup
5. pressing the red button

In each case, it simply displays EMPTY, and then goes blank.

Jim AD4J

Jim Worthington

Does anyone have any ideas on other things I can try to unbrick my Morserino?

73,
Jim AD4J

Willi, OE1WKL

1. Disconnect the battery. Measure battery voltage.
2. Connect Morserino to USB power supply. It should start normally.
3. Remove from USB, reconnect battery, unless it had less than say 2.7 V - in that case either use a battery with higher voltage left, or try to recharge it with an external charger, if you have one.
4. Reconnect to USB. Make sure power switch is ON. Leave it like that for a few hours, regardless what the display says.
5. Disconnect USB.  Measure battery voltage now.  Should be around 4V.
6. Turn power switch OFF.
7. Perform battery measurement calibration now.

Everything should be OK now.

Am 10.07.2021 um 18:18 schrieb Jim Worthington via groups.io <jimworth@...>:

Does anyone have any ideas on other things I can try to unbrick my Morserino?

73,
Jim AD4J

Jim Worthington

I tried the procedure you outlined, but it did not fix the problem. My Morserino still won’t get past displaying EMPTY and then displaying nothing a few seconds later.

Here the results from each step of the procedure:

1. Disconnect the battery. Measure battery voltage.  Battery measures 3.75 V
2. Connect Morserino to USB power supply. It should start normally. Display shows 321 EMPTY with orange LED for a few seconds, and then goes blank
3. Remove from USB, reconnect battery, unless it had less than say 2.7 V - in that case either use a battery with higher voltage left, or try to recharge it with an external charger, if you have one. Done
4. Reconnect to USB. Make sure power switch is ON. Leave it like that for a few hours, regardless what the display says. When USB is connected, display shows 321 EMPTY with orange LED for a few seconds, and then goes blank. When power switch is turned on, LED goes from normal orange to bright orange. The display remains blank. I left it this way for 4 hours.
5. Disconnect USB.  Measure battery voltage now.  Should be around 4V. Battery measured 4.06 V.
6. Turn power switch OFF. Done
7. Perform battery measurement calibration now.  Display shows 496 EMPTY with orange LED for a few seconds, and then goes blank
Is there anything else I should try?

73,
Jim AD4J

Ant Lefebvre

Jim,

What happened to you would absolutely drive me nuts. Some things I would try if this happened to me.

Follow the build instructions in the README.MD after the file list so you are compiling from source and uploading to your morserino.
But use the files at https://github.com/oe1wkl/Morserino-32/tree/master/Software/src/Version%204 for the latest and greatest.

One thing I did see in the upgrade section of the manual is to make sure you have a real USB cable, not just a charger. Not sure how you would validate that though. :/

Maybe let OE1WKL chime in before you give it a go. ;)

73
-Ant NU1U

On Tue, Jul 20, 2021 at 2:44 PM Jim Worthington via groups.io <jimworth=me.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Rachael Sanders

What I think Ant is describing are that some cables are data only and not charging cables.

David KK7SS

All originally supplied cables for Samsung, ASUS and Apple are ok for charging..  (personal experience!)

A lot of the others are "iffy"  !  BTDT !

Rachael Sanders

But does your cable know that?

Rob W2ITT

Some cables are power only. I've run into this issue a bunch of times. They usually come with things that use a USB charger but don't transfer data. A mini rechargeable powered speaker or Bluetooth headphones, for example.

The easiest way to tell on a Windows machine is to use it to plug in a data device and if you don't get the windows "Hey, you plugged in a USB device" tone it's a power only cable.
--

73,
Rob W2ITT

Joe K9SZ

You could try updating the unit with the USB firmware update utility from here using the optional erase option.

The steps are in appendix 4 of the manual:

A command example using the erase option is shown here:

73
Joe K9SZ

On Jul 20, 2021, at 1:44 PM, Jim Worthington via groups.io <jimworth@...> wrote:

[...]

Thanks for all of the helpful information and suggestions. I’m not in a position to apply them for a day or two, but plan to by the weekend. I will post the results here.

73,
Jim AD4J

Jim Worthington

I tried building from the version 4 source and got these errors:

Arduino: 1.8.13 (Mac OS X), Board: "WiFi LoRa 32(V2), Disabled, 240MHz (WiFi/BT), 921600, None, REGION_EU868, None"

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "esptool.py", line 57, in <module>
  File "/Library/Python/2.7/site-packages/PyInstaller/loader/pyimod03_importers.py", line 389, in load_module
  File "serial/tools/list_ports.py", line 29, in <module>
  File "/Library/Python/2.7/site-packages/PyInstaller/loader/pyimod03_importers.py", line 389, in load_module
  File "serial/tools/list_ports_posix.py", line 31, in <module>
  File "/Library/Python/2.7/site-packages/PyInstaller/loader/pyimod03_importers.py", line 389, in load_module
  File "serial/tools/list_ports_osx.py", line 32, in <module>
ValueError: dlsym(RTLD_DEFAULT, kIOMasterPortDefault): symbol not found
Failed to execute script esptool
Multiple libraries were found for "WiFi.h"
 Used: /Users/jimworth/Library/Arduino15/packages/Heltec-esp32/hardware/esp32/0.0.5/libraries/WiFi
 Not used: /Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/libraries/WiFi
exit status 255
/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/arduino-builder returned 255
Error compiling for board WiFi LoRa 32(V2).

This report would have more information with
"Show verbose output during compilation"
option enabled in File -> Preferences.

I'm sure I must be missing something, but can't figure out what it is.

Jim Worthington

I was able to restore my Morserino to normal operation by reloading the firmware using the USB updater from Matthias Jordan and Joe Wittmer. Thanks to all who made suggestions and put me on the right path.

73.
Jim AD4J