Topics

tool.zip

Tommy Clemmensen

Where to find the tool.zip for usb update of firmware on github?

Tommy

Jens Engelmann (DL7AUO)

Hi Tommy,
You need to download the file and connect to Morserion via Wifi.
Username: m32
Pass: update
Select the file and update…

Hi Willi,
You should mention in the documentation that it might be helpful to disable any virus scanner installed. At least on my Mac I need to disable Kaspersky for Mac to run the update.
Finally on 3.0.1 now… with Scanner disabled...

Kind regards,

Jens

Dr.
Jens Engelmann (DL7AUO)
Meraner Str. 16
14612 Falkensee
Germany

Line: +49 3322 1230503
Cell phone: +49 171 1910425
e-Mail: dl7auo@...

Am 11.05.2020 um 12:33 schrieb Tommy Clemmensen via groups.io <tommy@...>:

Where to find the tool.zip for usb update of firmware on github?

Tommy

Willi, OE1WKL

Tommy,

Please read Appendix 4 of the manual - there you will find instructions how to install via USB (currently for Windows only).

Am 11.05.2020 um 12:33 schrieb Tommy Clemmensen via groups.io <tommy=clemmensen.dk@groups.io>:

Where to find the tool.zip for usb update of firmware on github?

Tommy

Joe K9SZ

Hi Group,

There is now a macOS version of the USB Firmware Update console utility available as well here if anyone wants to try it

https://github.com/joewittmer/Morserino-32-Firmware-Updater/tree/master/release

This was built on Catalina.

73
Joe

On Mon, May 11, 2020 at 7:22 AM Willi, OE1WKL <willi@...> wrote:
Tommy,

Please read Appendix 4 of the manual - there you will find instructions how to install via USB (currently for Windows only).

> Am 11.05.2020 um 12:33 schrieb Tommy Clemmensen via groups.io <tommy=clemmensen.dk@groups.io>:
>
> Where to find the tool.zip for usb update of firmware on github?
>
> Tommy

Leo de Blaauw

Hi Joe,

Sorry to reply to this thread, but I just tried the windows usb update and even although the utility reports firmware was updated successfully(Used the latest firmware bin btw), it still shows 2.1 for the version. This is even after I reset by pushing the little button on the heltec module?

Is there anything I am missing here?

Regards,

Leo

There is now a macOS version of the USB Firmware Update console utility available as well here if anyone wants to try it

https://github.com/joewittmer/Morserino-32-Firmware-Updater/tree/master/release

This was built on Catalina.

73
Joe

On Mon, May 11, 2020 at 7:22 AM Willi, OE1WKL <willi@...> wrote:

Tommy,

Please read Appendix 4 of the manual - there you will find instructions how to install via USB (currently for Windows only).

> Am 11.05.2020 um 12:33 schrieb Tommy Clemmensen via groups.io <tommy=clemmensen.dk@groups.io>:
>
> Where to find the tool.zip for usb update of firmware on github?
>
> Tommy

Willi, OE1WKL

Leo,

After an update there is no need to do teh reset, teh update itself does a hard reset.
Can you show us a screenshot of the command and output? Maybe this gives a clue what has gone wrong…

Am 11.05.2020 um 16:32 schrieb Leo de Blaauw <L.deblaauw@...>:

Hi Joe,

Sorry to reply to this thread, but I just tried the windows usb update and even although the utility reports firmware was updated successfully(Used the latest firmware bin btw), it still shows 2.1 for the version. This is even after I reset by pushing the little button on the heltec module?

Is there anything I am missing here?

Regards,
Leo

There is now a macOS version of the USB Firmware Update console utility available as well here if anyone wants to try it

https://github.com/joewittmer/Morserino-32-Firmware-Updater/tree/master/release

This was built on Catalina.

73
Joe

On Mon, May 11, 2020 at 7:22 AM Willi, OE1WKL <willi@...> wrote:

Tommy,

Please read Appendix 4 of the manual - there you will find instructions how to install via USB (currently for Windows only).

> Am 11.05.2020 um 12:33 schrieb Tommy Clemmensen via groups.io <tommy=clemmensen.dk@groups.io>:
>
> Where to find the tool.zip for usb update of firmware on github?
>
> Tommy

Willi, OE1WKL

Joe, it worked for me (I am also on Catalina).
The only issue in teh beginning was that my security settings (default security settings) do not allow execution of app from unknown developers (unsigned apps).
My way around it was to execute the script once from finder - you get a dialog box if you really want to execute. After this first execution (which did nothing, of course) it was no problem to execute it from a shell. Maybe there are other ways around this.

2nd observation: you have to know the name of the serial port (apparently that’s always /dev/cu.SLAB_USBtoUART), and the port must not be in use by any other program (e.g. the Arduino app). But these things ar obvious, anyway.

Thanks for the good work!

Willi

On Mon, May 11, 2020 at 7:22 AM Willi, OE1WKL <@oe1wkl> wrote:
Tommy,

Please read Appendix 4 of the manual - there you will find instructions how to install via USB (currently for Windows only).

Am 11.05.2020 um 12:33 schrieb Tommy Clemmensen via groups.io <tommy=clemmensen.dk@groups.io>:

Where to find the tool.zip for usb update of firmware on github?

Tommy

Joe K9SZ

Thanks for the feedback, Willi. I am glad that it worked on your system.

Joe

On Mon, May 11, 2020 at 11:21 AM Willi, OE1WKL <willi@...> wrote:
Joe, it worked for me (I am also on Catalina).
The only issue in teh beginning was that my security settings (default security settings) do not allow execution of app from unknown developers (unsigned apps).
My way around it was to execute the script once from finder - you get a dialog box if you really want to execute. After this first execution (which did nothing, of course) it was no problem to execute it from a shell. Maybe there are other ways around this.

2nd observation: you have to know the name of the serial port (apparently that’s always /dev/cu.SLAB_USBtoUART), and the port must not be in use by any other program (e.g. the Arduino app). But these things ar obvious, anyway.

Thanks for the good work!

Willi

> Am 11.05.2020 um 16:11 schrieb Joe K9SZ <joseph.e.wittmer@...>:
>
> Hi Group,
>
> There is now a macOS version of the USB Firmware Update console utility available as well here if anyone wants to try it
>
> https://github.com/joewittmer/Morserino-32-Firmware-Updater/tree/master/release
>
> This was built on Catalina.
>
> 73
> Joe
>
> On Mon, May 11, 2020 at 7:22 AM Willi, OE1WKL <willi@...> wrote:
> Tommy,
>
> Please read Appendix 4 of the manual - there you will find instructions how to install via USB (currently for Windows only).
>
> 73
>
> Willi
>

> > Am 11.05.2020 um 12:33 schrieb Tommy Clemmensen via groups.io <tommy=clemmensen.dk@groups.io>:
> >
> > Where to find the tool.zip for usb update of firmware on github?
> >
> > Tommy

Joe K9SZ

I have placed a new Windows version of the USB Firmware Update console utility application to try out here:

https://github.com/joewittmer/Morserino-32-Firmware-Updater/blob/master/release/windows-update_m32-alpha-0.0.5.zip

I am hoping that this fixes the problem that some are facing where the program reports the firmware update was successful but the M32 fails to run the newly updated version.

If the update does fail, there should be some extra information on the screen that should help us figure out the problem. If you could post that, that would be appreciated.

73
Joe K9SZ

On Mon, May 11, 2020 at 9:32 AM Leo de Blaauw <L.deblaauw@...> wrote:

Hi Joe,

Sorry to reply to this thread, but I just tried the windows usb update and even although the utility reports firmware was updated successfully(Used the latest firmware bin btw), it still shows 2.1 for the version. This is even after I reset by pushing the little button on the heltec module?

Is there anything I am missing here?

Regards,

Leo

There is now a macOS version of the USB Firmware Update console utility available as well here if anyone wants to try it

https://github.com/joewittmer/Morserino-32-Firmware-Updater/tree/master/release

This was built on Catalina.

73
Joe

On Mon, May 11, 2020 at 7:22 AM Willi, OE1WKL <willi@...> wrote:

Tommy,

Please read Appendix 4 of the manual - there you will find instructions how to install via USB (currently for Windows only).

> Am 11.05.2020 um 12:33 schrieb Tommy Clemmensen via groups.io <tommy=clemmensen.dk@groups.io>:
>
> Where to find the tool.zip for usb update of firmware on github?
>
> Tommy

Bob DeHaney

Joe my update was V2 to V3.0.1 with your original version.  The HELTEC screen blanked for about 5 minutes which made me antsy…but came back on with the correct upgrade version. 😊.

Vy 73 de Bob DJ0RD/WU5T

There is now a macOS version of the USB Firmware Update console utility available as well here if anyone wants to try it

https://github.com/joewittmer/Morserino-32-Firmware-Updater/tree/master/release

This was built on Catalina.

73
Joe

On Mon, May 11, 2020 at 7:22 AM Willi, OE1WKL <willi@...> wrote:

Tommy,

Please read Appendix 4 of the manual - there you will find instructions how to install via USB (currently for Windows only).

> Am 11.05.2020 um 12:33 schrieb Tommy Clemmensen via groups.io <tommy=clemmensen.dk@groups.io>:
>
> Where to find the tool.zip for usb update of firmware on github?
>
> Tommy

Joe K9SZ

I’ve updated the macOS version now as well.

73
Joe K9SZ

On May 12, 2020, at 12:19 AM, Joe K9SZ via groups.io <joseph.e.wittmer=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:

[...]

Where is the MacOs version stored as dmg?

---------------------------------
Dr. Jens Engelmann (DL7AUO)
Meraner Str. 16
14612 Falkensee
Germany

Tel.: +49 3322 1230503
Cell.: +49 171 1910425

Mail: dl7auo@...

Am 12.05.2020 um 14:47 schrieb Joe K9SZ <@joe.wittmer.k9sz>:

[...]

Thank you for the feedback, Bob.

I agree and would like to add some progress meter in the future. I’ve added it to the backlog.

In addition to fixing an issue that others are facing with updating, I updated the error messages based on your experiences with the program.

73
Joe K9SZ

On May 12, 2020, at 4:41 AM, Bob DeHaney <bobdehaney@...> wrote:

[...]

It is just a zip exe for now. Thanks