Topics

troubles w/ paddles paddles

gilbert.schwank@...

Hi Willi,

first I need to say, that your kit, all the documentation and communication is of excellent quality. Really a great value for the money.

I built up my Morserino today and tried "CW keyer" using the touch paddles. But the device is not reacting to touches at all. Display shows "T" and "B" which seems to be right. Then I connected my MFJ Paddle, to see if that works better. But the display is still showing "T", telling me that it did not recognize the external paddle. All other functions like "CW Generator" etc. are working just fine. Any hint what might be wrong with the paddles?

73 de Gilbert OE2GXL

Willi, OE1WKL

Gilbert,

If the touch paddles do not react, the reason might be that the soldering joints on the module’s pin headers are not good. To test this, just touch the pins 2 and 12 on the module with your fingers, and the keyer should react. Pin 2 is the fourth pin from the right on the lower row, and pin 12 the third pin from the right on the upper row.

The eternal paddles are NOT recognized automatically - you need to change a parameter setting to switch from touch to eternal paddles!

Vy 73
Willi

Am 24.01.2019 um 00:30 schrieb gilbert.schwank via Groups.Io <gilbert.schwank@...>:

Hi Willi,

first I need to say, that your kit, all the documentation and communication is of excellent quality. Really a great value for the money.

I built up my Morserino today and tried "CW keyer" using the touch paddles. But the device is not reacting to touches at all. Display shows "T" and "B" which seems to be right. Then I connected my MFJ Paddle, to see if that works better. But the display is still showing "T", telling me that it did not recognize the external paddle. All other functions like "CW Generator" etc. are working just fine. Any hint what might be wrong with the paddles?

73 de Gilbert OE2GXL

Damon Downing

I am having the same issue in that the paddles do not react at all to touch. You say that the solder joints are not good on the Module, but I am not sure what module you are talking about? The Heltec module? And guidance would be appreciated as mine does not respond to the paddles at all, either one.

And when you say touch them with your finger, are touching the paddle port pins, or the heltec module pins?

Willi, OE1WKL

Did you remove the yellow foil from the paddle connectors?? („There was no foil“ is the wrong answer...)

Am 03.08.2020 um 05:29 schrieb Damon Downing <me@...>:

I am having the same issue in that the paddles do not react at all to touch. You say that the solder joints are not good on the Module, but I am not sure what module you are talking about? The Heltec module? And guidance would be appreciated as mine does not respond to the paddles at all, either one.

And when you say touch them with your finger, are touching the paddle port pins, or the heltec module pins?

Damon Downing

Ended up being the yellow foil. That step should be more pronounced as it’s easy to miss. It is now working as designed. Thanks for your help.