Topics

WiFi connection problem

John Robb

I've been using my Morserino for a couple of months fine. WiFi configured OK and a short text file loaded OK, however, when I recently attempted to load a new text file, I cannot. Check WiFi fails with No WiFi and the SSID.
I have tried several times, close to router and fully charged. Also powering off and on. I have also reconfigured (morserino remembers SSID) with no change and reset heltec.
I appreciate others have similar problems and have read them but I am still lost. Is there any other test I could perform to check the heltec module.

John

John, M0STQ

John,
     are you going through the full WiFi Config process, again?

Putting in both the WiFi ESSID and the WiFi password?

And then, when it reboots itself after you press Submit, it can’t connect to that WiFi network with that WiFi password?

Or are you assuming the M-32 will remember things from the early time you configured it?

Thanks for any follow-ups.

John, M0STQ

On 30 Jul 2020, at 17:08, John Robb <jcmrobb@...> wrote:

I've been using my Morserino for a couple of months fine. WiFi configured OK and a short text file loaded OK, however, when I recently attempted to load a new text file, I cannot. Check WiFi fails with No WiFi and the SSID.
I have tried several times, close to router and fully charged. Also powering off and on. I have also reconfigured (morserino remembers SSID) with no change and reset heltec.
I appreciate others have similar problems and have read them but I am still lost. Is there any other test I could perform to check the heltec module.

John

John Robb

Hello John,

Thanks for reply:

I do go through procedure - I select config on the Morserino, note on my laptop that, amongst available WiFi networks Morserino is present and connected. I then point browser to 192.168.4.1 and enter, again, SSID (VM052... for Virgin), password (all alpha lower case) and leave third line blank.
Laptop browser announces morserino is restarting, which it does. No further message in laptop.
I then select check WiFi on Morserino and it say Not connected, no WiFi.

???

John

M0JRZ

On 30 Jul 2020 18:58, "John, M0STQ via groups.io" <firegazer@...> wrote:
[...]

Joe K9SZ

Hi John,

I went through the WiFi setup with a clean factory reprogram on my unit (trying both with the 255.255.255.255 in the third box as well as empty). Unfortunately, I couldn’t recreate the problem here and it connected fine.

If you are able to setup your router so that the 2.4 GHz and 5.0 GHz transceivers have separate SSIDs, then I suggest you might try that and connecting to the 2.4GHz transceiver.

Since you are able to connect to the Heltec module’s WiFi server in config mode, would that indicate the WiFi is working on the Heltec module okay? I cannot think of another way to test it...

73
Joe K9SZ

On Jul 31, 2020, at 3:16 PM, John Robb <jcmrobb@...> wrote:

[...]

Joe, John,
    I agree it’s a puzzler…

The 5/2.4 GHz thing is possible, I guess. If on your home WiFi router, you have elected to only have a 5 GHz network (which goes faster, but not through walls as well as 2.4), then you’d get the symptoms you describe: you could connect to the M-32 in Config mode, because then it generates a 2.4 GHz network itself and your laptop will find that. When the M-32 tries to connect to your home WiFi, it needs a 2.4 GHz network, and wouldn’t find one…

I think the most likely thing is the ESSID and password being entered incorrectly, so that the M-32 presents incorrect credentials to the WiFi router once it (the M-32) reboots and you tell it to connect.

@John: when you said “all alphas, lowercase” for the password, can we confirm that your WiFi password (probably WPA2) only has lowercase letters in it? WPA2 passwords are case-sensitive, so if the real password were “ReallySecurePassword”, and you enter “reallysecurepassword” on the M-32, it won’t work. The SSID (VM052_something) is also case-sensitive, but it sounds like you're entering that with capitals where needed.

I’d also put in “cq.morserno.info” (not case-sensitive, but lowercase probably best) into the 3rd field, just to give it something for that field, as I’m not sure if, when you try to connect to WiFi, that really means “connect to WiFi and resolve the third field address”.

Let us know how you get on.

Best regards,

John, M0STQ

On 31 Jul 2020, at 22:44, Joe K9SZ <joseph.e.wittmer@...> wrote:

[...]

Karen Chancellor

I had a similar problem. After several unsuccessful tries, I entered the SS ID and password manually. Prior attempts were using copy and paste. After manually copying, success.

Juergen Wagner

Hello,
during the past 20 or more ys with MS and copy & paste i had several times pc useres wid the problem that copied and inserted fields
doesn't work like expected. When i than had a look wid a hex-editor into the fields variable at all times there where unvisible
code wid it. simplest one a leading blank or so.
73
Juergen

Am 15.09.2020 um 01:24 schrieb Karen Chancellor:

I had a similar problem. After several unsuccessful tries, I entered the SS ID and password manually. Prior attempts were using copy and paste. After manually copying, success.

Geoff

Hi Joe,

I am having problems with connecting to home WiFi now
I have done a few firmware updates and connecting to WiFi was not a problem at all.
Have tried all the suggestions that I could find but still no connection.
Quoting what you have written above "I went through the WiFi setup with a clean factory reprogram on my unit (trying both with the 255.255.255.255 in the third box as well as empty). Unfortunately, I couldn’t recreate the problem here and it connected fine.", how did you start with a clean factory reprogram?
Is there any way that you can reset the Morserino to the factory default setting or is there a way of reflashing the unit?
Any help would be appreciated.

Best regards,
Geoff, VK2CNN

Joe K9SZ

Hi Geoff,

how did you start with a clean factory reprogram?
I believe that the only way to do this is updating the firmware via USB port using the command line utility application.

The Morserino-32 manual describes the update process in Appendix 4 on page 44. Here is a link to the manual:

https://github.com/oe1wkl/Morserino-32/blob/master/Documentation/User%20Manual/Version%203.x/m32_user-Manual_v3.pdf

For a full factory reset/erase, you will need to add the erase parameter to the command line instruction.

On the main Morserino-32 Firmware Updater GitHub page you can find an examples of commands for a full factory erase here:

https://github.com/joewittmer/Morserino-32-Firmware-Updater

Hope that helps.

Joe

On Oct 18, 2020, at 12:33 AM, Geoff <@VK2CNN> wrote:

Hi Joe,

I am having problems with connecting to home WiFi now
I have done a few firmware updates and connecting to WiFi was not a problem at all.
Have tried all the suggestions that I could find but still no connection.
Quoting what you have written above "I went through the WiFi setup with a clean factory reprogram on my unit (trying both with the 255.255.255.255 in the third box as well as empty). Unfortunately, I couldn’t recreate the problem here and it connected fine.", how did you start with a clean factory reprogram?
Is there any way that you can reset the Morserino to the factory default setting or is there a way of reflashing the unit?
Any help would be appreciated.

Best regards,
Geoff, VK2CNN

Geoff

Hi Joe,

Thank you for leading me to the right direction.
I am sure with a clean factory program, my WiFi connection problem will be solved.

Will keep you updated.

Geoff

On Mon, Oct 19, 2020 at 02:19 AM, Joe K9SZ wrote:
Hi Geoff,

[...]

That did the trick.
Starting with  a fresh factory program fixed by WiFi connection problem.
Thank you once again for your great help.

Geoff, VK2CNN

[...]

That is excellent, Geoff. I'm very pleased to hear that worked.

Joe, K9SZ