Topics

WiFi problem cause

Doug KD9PK

Just to share in hope that it help someone.

One of my biggest clients recently started having major WiFi problems on an established WiFi (more than 5 years in operation).
After confirming it was not the WiFi router we started looking into external interference. (like the microwave oven wiping out the network when they made popcorn)
Spectrum analyzer showed a huge amount of noise so we felt we had the right idea. The strange thing was that some devices worked fine and others just could not see the network. (in hindsight I am thinking that was due to quality of the WiFi receiver in the devices… maybe the unaffected ones had better selectivity or filters.)

Well, we found it the interference, and it was a surprise.

It was the LED light bulbs they had just installed in place of the florescent/incandescent.  It was not the ceiling “tubes”. It was the screw in lamp bulbs like in a table lamp. Both the analyzer and empirical testing (turning the lights off and the WiFi worked) confirmed them to be the problem.

Since then we have played around with a variety of LED lights and have yet to find any particular brand that does or doesn’t cause interference. Y’all might check if you have any LED bulbs and turn them off to see if your WiFi begins to work again.

Other sources we have discovered over the years: Microwave Ovens, Smart Meters (gas and electric), wall transformers, wireless phones and even a doorbell transformer.

Just my $0.02. Good luck
Doug

Steve Heard

Thank you for your email,