Topics

WiFi Trx woes

Michael Bridak

Hello, looking for a little sanity check.
I've configured the wifi and it tests fine. But I am unable to use the wifi trx feature for some reason.
I've tried both qsobot.online (sending both qrl? and hi) and cq.morserino.info sending hi, but I am not able to get any response from either.
I've downloaded the python chat server script and run it in debug mode.
After sending a hi it shows:

Received 73:2d:54:5c from 192.168.1.139:49153
New client: 192.168.1.139:49153

So I can see that it's sending the hi and the server says Yup that's someone new, but I am not getting the :hi in return.

Made sure I uploaded the morse_3_v3.0.ino.wifi_lora_32_V2.bin firmware.

I just don't know what I'm doing wrong. Any thoughts?
Thanks, Mike K6GTE

Tommy Clemmensen

Hello Michael Bridak (Mike de k6gte)

If you are the devoloper type so I need some help help finish my Server Like qsobot.online John had helped me a lot.

But I  still have some few bugs, and would be happy if somebody could correct them.

I had not pu the code on github yet but have a phrases trainer to the morserino.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RolBxuk_I7c

https://github.com/Tommy-de-oz1thc/Morserino-32-Phrases-trainer/tree/Morserino/Release/Version%202.0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ud13x02drsw3sfk/M32_Server%20v.7%20AIML.zip?dl=0

Tommy de oz1thc

Den 24-07-2020 kl. 02:29 skrev Michael Bridak:

Hello, looking for a little sanity check.
I've configured the wifi and it tests fine. But I am unable to use the wifi trx feature for some reason.
I've tried both qsobot.online (sending both qrl? and hi) and cq.morserino.info sending hi, but I am not able to get any response from either.
I've downloaded the python chat server script and run it in debug mode.
After sending a hi it shows:

Received 73:2d:54:5c from 192.168.1.139:49153
New client: 192.168.1.139:49153

So I can see that it's sending the hi and the server says Yup that's someone new, but I am not getting the :hi in return.

Made sure I uploaded the morse_3_v3.0.ino.wifi_lora_32_V2.bin firmware.

I just don't know what I'm doing wrong. Any thoughts?
Thanks, Mike K6GTE

John, M0STQ

Mike,
   I’m happy to help, if I can.

A few things, first…

I guess you are keying the M-32, connected to your home WiFi, with address 192.168.1.139, and you have the M32_chat_server.py running on a Mac/Pi/PC which has address 192.168.1.??

Is that right?

The line in M32_chat_server.py that prints “New client: some_IP_address:some_port” is in welcome() and happens after the server sends back a “:hi” message, so that packet is getting lost somewhere.

Do you have the Mac/Pi/PC’s internal IP address in the script, or the external (globally-routeable) IP of the WiFi router, and a port mapping to direct the UDP 7373 packets? What do you have in SERVER_IP= ?

Can your Mac/Pi/PC ping the M-32’s address (192.168.1.139) from a terminal/cmd window? Is there definitely a route back to the M-32?

Willi’s chat server has a clever feature: you can refresh the page and see the last few connections or packets received. Can you confirm that your M-32 connection is getting to his server?

Let me know, when you can, and we’ll go from there.

Best regards,

John, M0STQ

On 24 Jul 2020, at 01:29, Michael Bridak <michael.bridak@...> wrote:

Hello, looking for a little sanity check.
I've configured the wifi and it tests fine. But I am unable to use the wifi trx feature for some reason.
I've tried both qsobot.online (sending both qrl? and hi) and cq.morserino.info sending hi, but I am not able to get any response from either.
I've downloaded the python chat server script and run it in debug mode.
After sending a hi it shows:

Received 73:2d:54:5c from 192.168.1.139:49153
New client: 192.168.1.139:49153

So I can see that it's sending the hi and the server says Yup that's someone new, but I am not getting the :hi in return.

Made sure I uploaded the morse_3_v3.0.ino.wifi_lora_32_V2.bin firmware.

I just don't know what I'm doing wrong. Any thoughts?
Thanks, Mike K6GTE

Willi, OE1WKL

When using cq.morserino.info, you can (sometimes) check if the server gets your data by having a look at http://cq.morserino.info with your browser.
It shows the last 20 lines of the log file, so you can check, if your input was received.

Unfortunately the web server is not very stable yet, and I need to restart it often… :-(
So it could be that it is not reachable for a while.

Am 24.07.2020 um 02:29 schrieb Michael Bridak <michael.bridak@...>:

Hello, looking for a little sanity check.
I've configured the wifi and it tests fine. But I am unable to use the wifi trx feature for some reason.
I've tried both qsobot.online (sending both qrl? and hi) and cq.morserino.info sending hi, but I am not able to get any response from either.
I've downloaded the python chat server script and run it in debug mode.
After sending a hi it shows:

Received 73:2d:54:5c from 192.168.1.139:49153
New client: 192.168.1.139:49153

So I can see that it's sending the hi and the server says Yup that's someone new, but I am not getting the :hi in return.

Made sure I uploaded the morse_3_v3.0.ino.wifi_lora_32_V2.bin firmware.

I just don't know what I'm doing wrong. Any thoughts?
Thanks, Mike K6GTE

John, M0STQ

Mike,
     I’ve had a look at the logs for qsobot.online, and I can see your activity.

The bot definitely sent you lots of packets back, so they must be getting lost somewhere.

I guess options are routing and firewallls:

Routing probably isn’t the issue, if you’re also having trouble with a local LAN_based chat server Python script. The IP address I’m receiving the packets from is on a North American Cable Internet provider called Spectrum, which seems right for your callsign.

Firewalls? Could you switch off the firewall on your LAN host that’s running the chat server, and try again?

Is the chat server script you’re running locally Wojtek’s (sp9wpn)? If so, could you make it a simple reflector, just to test?

In the main loop, just after it receives a data packet, add:

serversock.sendto(data, addr)

and change the SERVERIP from “0.0.0.0” to whatever your internal IP is on the host e.g. “192.168.1.105”. (I’m not sure this bit is really needed, but it will help to know which network address the chat server is listening on. Without this, if your chat server has multiple IP addresses, maybe a wired one and a wireless one, then things might be getting confused on the M-32.)

Now, whatever it sees from the M-32 it will send straight back, so you don’t need to worry about the hi and qrl? and all that. You should hear and see you word going out, and then the same word (at the same speed) coming straight back.

Let us know if any of those work.

I think getting this working locally, on your LAN, is the best first step.

Best regards,

JD

[...]

    I’ve just noticed the sending port in your original message :-)

The M-32 sends out on UDP port 7373, and expects its receiving packets to be on the same port.

In qsobot.online logs, you are sending from 72.xx.yy.zz:7373 which is good. This is after the M-32 has its IP address NATed by the router into a globally-routeable address.

Your local LAN-based chat server seems to be seeing packets coming from 49153, which is strange.

Did you set the UDP_PORT to 49153 in the chat server script?

If you left it as 7373, then I don’t understand how it sees packets on another port.
If you changed it to 49153, then I don’t understand how the M-32’s UDP packets (on 7373) are being received by the listening script…

I just set my local network as follows:

1) downloaded m32_chat_server.py from GitHub.com/sp9wpn on a Mac (IP address 192.168.1.101)

2) put the M-32 into WiFi config mode and gave it <mynetwork> <nynetworkpassword> <192.168.1.101>

3) edit the script on the Mac to use SERVER_IP 192.168.1.101 and DEBUG 1

4) ran the script

5) went into WiFi transceiver mode on the M-32 (wpm 17)

6) keyed in “hi” and got “:hi1” back from the chat server script on the Mac

7) on the Mac terminal, I see:

Received 62:45:54:5c from 192.168.1.13:7373
New client: 192.168.1.13:7373

So the M-32 is picking up address 192.168.1.13 from the WiFi router.

8) on the Mac, I kill the chat server script and try pinging the M-32 address. I get some timeouts but then some returned pings, and then some timeouts. This is probably because my M-32 is a long way from the WiFi router, and its struggling to keep connection.

It would be good for you to try all these steps (including the pinging from a LAN host), and see where things go wrong.

[...]

Gerard

John,
Sorry to interfer in your discussion. I just wanted to mention that the UDP packet comming from port 49153 (or whatever else) is normal if the router performs NAT. The UDP message comes to yourexternalip:7373 and translate it to M32internalip:portxxxx
It does the same here and it works fime. If I connect the script from inside my LAN, the script will mention
Received 62:45:54:5c from 192.168.x.x:7373
New client: 192.168.x.x:7373
If I connect the script from outside my LAN, the script will mention
Received 62:45:54:5c from myWANip:4xxxx
New client: myWANip:4xxxx

Best 73'
gerard

Tommy Clemmensen

Hello

PC subject is talked about in this forum

 <addon-pc-software@morserino.groups.io>

not in this

morserino@groups.io>

Tommy

Den 24-07-2020 kl. 13:50 skrev Gerard:

John,
Sorry to interfer in your discussion. I just wanted to mention that the UDP packet comming from port 49153 (or whatever else) is normal if the router performs NAT. The UDP message comes to yourexternalip:7373 and translate it to M32internalip:portxxxx
It does the same here and it works fime. If I connect the script from inside my LAN, the script will mention
Received 62:45:54:5c from 192.168.x.x:7373
New client: 192.168.x.x:7373
If I connect the script from outside my LAN, the script will mention
Received 62:45:54:5c from myWANip:4xxxx
New client: myWANip:4xxxx

Best 73'
gerard

John, M0STQ

Gerard,
    you’re very welcome to join in. If I make a mistake, I’d be glad to have someone fix it :-)

You’re right, of course. I should be talking about dest port and sending port.

The dest port has to be 7373, or the listening port will never see it.

The sending port may well have been munged by various NAT levels (and will be un-munged on a returning packet’s way back).

The log is showing the sending port, so could well be something other than 7373 once it’s been across the Internet.

Checking my logs, I see mostly :7373, but quite a few :others.

The weird thing for me was the non-7373 sending port, as perceived by the local LAN host running the Python script. How can that work?

Is the local WiFi router NATing between the M-32 and whatever is running the chat server script?

Let’s have a friendly wager on the eventual answer :-)

I reckon it will be:

80% just really bad WiFi connection for the M-32, and it is losing enough packets that the protocols expected by the chat server or bots are breaking down; or maybe

20% the Mac/PC/Pi is on a different network segment from the M-32 (somehow) and even then I don’t really understand how this would fail…

So,I’m going for really patchy WiFi connection to the M-32. :-)

@Mike: maybe you could try the M-32 closer to the WiFi router, and/or try it to your local chat server 4 or 5 times, and see if the problem is “every time” or “most times”, which would be a huge difference?

Best regards,

John, M0STQ

On 24 Jul 2020, at 12:50, Gerard <gerardf@...> wrote:

John,
Sorry to interfer in your discussion. I just wanted to mention that the UDP packet comming from port 49153 (or whatever else) is normal if the router performs NAT. The UDP message comes to yourexternalip:7373 and translate it to M32internalip:portxxxx
It does the same here and it works fime. If I connect the script from inside my LAN, the script will mention
Received 62:45:54:5c from 192.168.x.x:7373
New client: 192.168.x.x:7373
If I connect the script from outside my LAN, the script will mention
Received 62:45:54:5c from myWANip:4xxxx
New client: myWANip:4xxxx

Best 73'
gerard

Gerard

John, Mike,
Shall we move our discussion to <addon-pc-software@morserino.groups.io>
to not hurt others?
Does anyone know how to move the thread?
gerard

vince adams

Gerald
You could start a new thread on <addon-pc-software@morserino.groups.io>  if you're subbed there? I don't think there is a move feature?
John
I agree that you must be close to your WiFi router. Within several feet. I don't think the Morserino has a strong WiFi part.

Group all
I cant seem to find the <addon-pc-software@morserino.groups.io>  group?
73, Vince